Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

shrinkies...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
clairey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clairey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 4:40am
Ive just been reading this thread and the shrinkies seem really good, would you be able to put them in yourself, are they complicated to put in??
Also how long should you keep them in your hair before removing them??
Sorry one more question! Wherebouts do you attach the extensions onto your own hair with them? near the scalp or further down??
Sorry again for all the questions!!:)
EmmaSkye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaSkye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 4:06am
Well I spent an hour running around to electrical supply places and contractors today.

The first place I went into was full of guys dressed in construction gear and I immediately felt like Id walked into the mens room by mistake. The looks I got from the men were hilarious.

Then when I told the guy what I wanted: 1/8" dual wall shrink tubing with adhesive lining: he looked at me like I had asked him to put on a tutu and dance on the counter. GEESH!!

I didnt fair any better at the second place so I came home, dragged out the phone book and started dialing. I finally found one place where a LADY answered the phone, she was very helpful (but still a bit confused about what I was looking for) but she offered to check on it and call me back, and big surprise, she did!! lol

Anyway, Im going there tomorrow to look at what she found, hopefully it will work. I know they will only have it in black, but my hair is a range between 1b and dark brown so I should be able to get by with the black tubing for now.

Onward and Upward, perseverence pays off....someday....LOL

Em
SHE human hair blend, 18", #4 with Supertape.
EmmaSkye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaSkye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 3:48am
The size of ring you use would depend on the look your going for and your hair condition. I have fine thinning hair and I used the medium rings, I think I would have been better off using the small or xtra small, especially around the hair line.

Em
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2005 at 11:11am
Kimbearly, you don't dip hair into Liquid Gold, you brush it on with the applicator brush that comes inside the LG. Once it becomes tacky, roll it between your thumb and forefinger and then allow it to cure for a bit.
Kimbearly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbearly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2005 at 7:14am
Em, Thanks again for all the helpful info. What size microring would be the best? I went to order and saw they have 3 sizes. Do most use the large for the bottom of the head?
EmmaSkye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaSkye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2005 at 9:47pm
I used an old piece of cardboard. I cut the hair from the weft, pulled off the short hairs, fanned it out and used the brush that came with the LG. I made sure I brushed it on ALL the hair and then I TURNED it over and did the same to the other side.

I waited about 30 secs then I rolled it between 2 fingers. Dont worry about getting a perfect point, just get it rolled nice. Be careful, because LG bonds to itself when it dries and I glued my thumb and first finger together the first time...lol.., keep some nail polish remover handy just in case.

Then I laid it across a chair to cure (about 5 mins, its cured when the tip is hard) then I took sharp scissors and snipped the tip off to even it out.

Em
Kimbearly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbearly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2005 at 9:31pm
Thanks Em, that was my next question. Do you have to roll this stuff around after you dip the hair in or just dip and wait?
EmmaSkye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaSkye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2005 at 9:29pm
Liquid Gold is definetly cheaper if you buy it directly from their website.

And I can tell you that it works great at tipping hair. I practice tipped about 6 pieces last night and it went pretty fast and the LG makes a nice tip after it cures. My problem was getting too much hair in the tip, still have to practice on that.

Em
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2005 at 7:28pm
Oops! I didn't realize Liquid Gold has it's own website: http://www.liquidgoldglue.com/

I would think you could get a better deal there than at superhairfactory.com (but I haven't compared the prices).

Good luck!
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2005 at 5:19pm
For microrings, go to Hairpiece.com (they call them Extendtubes there): http://hairpiece.com/product.asp?pf_id=XTN400

But for Shrinks, go to Doc Locks: http://www.drlocks.net/shrinkies.htm

Good luck!

Kimbearly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbearly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2005 at 5:03pm
Thanks for the bonding site. Where is a good site to purchase the microrings?
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2005 at 5:39am
I think the consensus is that Shrinkies are more secure than microrings, but you might want to search some of amm's previous posts for more information on slippage. Generally, though, it doesn't seem to be a problem.

You can get Liquid Gold from superhairfactory.com, here: http://www.superhairfactory.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5_19

Good luck!
maliburum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maliburum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2005 at 5:17am
I was wondering. If anyone that has tried the shrinkies have had any problems with loosing them? I have microrings now and every now and then I find on has come out.

Also where can I find this 'Liquid Gold' for tipping hair?
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2005 at 3:47am
Well, there are others who sell tubing without the glue lining, but I think Doc's is the only one anyone's used with any success....
EmmaSkye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaSkye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2005 at 12:48am
Well I went to my local hardware store today and they didnt have dual wall heat shrink tubing, I bought some regular just to mess with. There are 2 other places I can check tomorrow that wernt open today.

I bought some Toyokalon hair to play with and practice making tips. Toyokalon is notorious for not taking ANY heat whatsoever but after I tipped it with Liguid Gold and used the regular heat shrink and applied one to an old wig I have, it didnt melt!! I was shocked. I think the LG provided a barrier for the heat.

I was going through my links and is DrLocks the only place to get shrinkies? I couldnt find them anywhere else.

Em
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2005 at 3:08pm
Not to change the topic, but does anyone know of any curling irons that are low-temperature (or temperature-controlled) enough that they might work with synth? Any particularly good velvet or steam rollers?
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2005 at 12:50pm
maliburum,

Sorry, I don't know much about heat wands. I've only tried one brand and it's working pretty well. Why are they so expensive though?! Jeez!

Yes, the glue from the pretipped hair will also heat and somewhat melt under the shrinkie. When I make my own preipped, I put just the smallest drop of nail glue on the tip*. This does two things -- it stops the strands glue from melting in my own hair and it keeps the tip intact so I don't have to redo it over for the next install.

*nail glue is never installed wet. Always allow plenty of time for it to completely cure and dry before placing in the hair.
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2005 at 6:41am
I would suggest to buy one that has a variable temperature control. Ive seen some that just have one temperature, you definitely want one that you can control the heat, so it can be used for different types of hair and methods.
maliburum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maliburum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2005 at 5:53am
Hi Ladies, I just wanted to know if anyone thought that one heat clamp is better than another. There are a couple listed on ebay. Is one companies heat clamp hotter or more comfortable to use...?

Also when you do the shrinkies with pretipped hair and you heat it with the heat clamp, doesn't the tip of the hair melt with the heat ? and when you remove is the bond from the hair still there or will you have to retip the hair?

EmmaSkye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaSkye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2005 at 11:02pm
grrr why is the good stuff out of the country? Thats just not fair.

Em
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic