Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

motivations for short hair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
LHguy View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LHguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2002 at 2:38pm
I would say a mix of desire to conform and personal preference. As a guy with long hair, there is a LOT of social pressure from girls, other guys, jobs, etc. to conform and get a short haircut. Most guys just choose to go along with the pack and get the same haircut they see on everybody else- probably just a subconscious desire to conform caused by years of conditioning. The same goes for your beard question, though there are a lot of goatees around right now.
Anonymous View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anonymous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2002 at 3:58pm
I`ve wondered about this as well.

I`ve got a hunch it`s because these styles are quicker to cut using clippers than they are using scissors.

Perhaps it`s because shorter styles need regular
trimming more often? (4 weeks vs. 8/12 weeks for
a longer style).

If housing is expensive, do people have less money to spend on their appearance?

Is it because the population is aging and fewer people have hair?

More people are working and have families, so there is less money and time to go on personal items?

According to some of the fashion tips here, you have to have the same hairstyle as the interviewer to get the job. That is scary. On several jobs interviews I had, there would be some company departments where all the guys were `buzzed` or cropped short, otherwise had ponytails. That freaked me out.

My parents always had this belief that there was something masochistic about someone wanting clippers used (perhaps because of the National Service/draft). Having the back/nape clippered doesn`t bother me, but having the top cropped to less than two inches.(Bad personal experience).

Maybe it`s due to the general prosperity of the
area. I`ve always noticed that upmarket cities
would always have people who had `maintained` hair eg. casual lengths with highlights/frosting, while poorer areas would keep to this short hair styles.

My personal preference is for a tapered 2 inches at the back and sides to 3 inches on top). I really see my self image as someone with a caual and relaxed attitude(maybe a corporate style haircut). You would not belief how some stylists will seem surprised at this request for scissors only these days.

I`ve been told a "side parting" is now old-fashioned
as well.

Women I`ve dated, don`t seem to care either way.

Just my thoughts.

duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2002 at 1:05pm
A huge number of guys these days settle for the "classic" short cut, tapered at the back and sides
from shaven off at the nape to a bit longer. There are even many crewcuts, caesars & buzzcuts out
there? I`d like to see different peoples` reasons for this. Desire to conform? To please a partner?
Genuine personal preference? What?

I wish longer hair on guys would "come back".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic