Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Small hair trouble...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Eowyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eowyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Small hair trouble...
    Posted: November 15 2004 at 1:14pm
Hey there!
Yeeah I think my hair does similar, its pretty straight on top, but then more underneath layers have definate wave to them. Funny thing is when I was younger I think my hair was more straighter.
My avatar pic is Eowyn, the White Lady of Rohan. I *wish* I had hair like her's lol!!
Hair is: 1c (straight with body wave and one or two visible S-waves)/ MF(medium-fine)/ii (normal volume)
korsakovhatt3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korsakovhatt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2004 at 10:18am
Hi Eowyn, I had really curly hair until I was about 5 years old, then it became straight. My mother thought it was just because it was so long (the curl was being pulled down by the weight of my hair), but she was wrong. When I cut my hair short for the first time, it was still straight.

Your description of the waves in your hair sounds similar to mine. My hair very wavy sometimes -- especially in hot, humid conditions. I get curls all around my hairline -- especially the under-part of my hair -- near the nape of my neck. The waves under my hair are often there in moderate weather too. I think it's just because of body heat -- that's where my hair is warmest and most likely to get damp. On the surface, though, my hair looks totally straight. My hair gets really wavy at the gym too -- heat and humidity again.
My user name is WAY too long. Just call me Juliana. :-)
Eowyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eowyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2004 at 6:59am
Hmm, well I dont have a digital camerea, so i dont think i could post a pic, but I can describe it as best i can. When it was longer, Id say it did have definate wave to it, not like real wavy but yeah it had some soft wave in it, that some days could pass for more straight and others pass for more wavyish. It tends to be more straighter in the front (like temple area) whereas those underneath and behind (neck area and just behind the head area) have a definate wavy/almost curl to them. I hope this is a more clear discription. Yeah its about shoulder length now, and it does still have those curl/waves to it like it does when its long.
My avatar pic is Eowyn, the White Lady of Rohan. I *wish* I had hair like her's lol!!
Hair is: 1c (straight with body wave and one or two visible S-waves)/ MF(medium-fine)/ii (normal volume)
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2004 at 4:37pm
How was its texture when it was longer?

Being as it's shoulder-length now, the shortest strands are the underneath layer. Those being wavy, I'm guessing your hair is naturally wavy, and that the longer strands on the "outside" are straighter due to the weight of the strands. Just a guess, that's all I can do without seeing a pic of it -- and that is not a solicitation for you to post a pic, even though I'm sure many of us would like to have a look-see.
Eowyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eowyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2004 at 11:43am
Yeah that makes sense Grace. My hair is odd, cause its like more straighter on the upper layers, then as you get more like into the hair underneath it gets more wavy/curlyish, its kinda strange...
Grace912 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grace912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2004 at 7:43am
Yeah, I think that all hair has them. You always have new growth coming in, so no matter how healthy your hair is, it's going to have some manner of flyaways. I guess that texture has something to do with how noticeable they are. I'm a 2b with a bit of 3a mixed in for fun, and if anything, most girls with wavy/curly hair like mine have more flyaways than I do, so I guess that that's a good sign of sorts.
Monica: Isn't there any way that you could look at this as flattering? I mean, she's doing this to be more like you.
Rachel: Well, then, couldn't she have just copied my haircut?
Eowyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eowyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2004 at 4:50pm
Hey Susan!
Yeah that damage from that should be gone. I guess maybe all hair has those wiery looking flyaway things?

They are so annoying!! Grrrr. well I guess my hair just does that. I think my hair is rather fine, but its i think medium thicknes, like volume of hair is i think more medium, cause its not limp and stuff like fine hair.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2004 at 2:17pm
It's probably just normal. Lighting is important. I didn't know I had so many until I went on vacation and stayed at a hotel that had a big mirror wall in the elevator and spotlights right over your head! I was glad when I left because I lost the "my hair looks so bad" feeling I got in there every day!

Wearing your hair up is good for it, you will get less tangles than wearing it down. Provided, that is, you are using hair safe things to hold it up. If you use the unsafe kind, it can be causing some damage, but your hair grows 6 inches a year, so after 2 years, any damage you had from that should be a foot from the top of your head.
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Eowyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eowyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2004 at 1:46pm
Hey Nicole!
Your hair looks absolutely beautiful from your picture!! My avatar pic is not me, lol I wish!

Yeah my hair is mostly straight towards the top, but its got some wavyness to it definatelty in the lower half, like it does this little flop-doodle thing.

Im not sure if its just from wearing my hair up a lot or what. It would be good if i could grow out those frizzies, but then more would probably just come.
My hair is shiny and it doesn't look bad, except for those blasted flyaways! Static makes it worse of course. It must be just the way my hair is or something, but I want it to look neat and smooth and kept nice. I think the way it looks with those little flyaways makes it look more raggedy.

By the way, what does 1B and 2B mean?
Nicole Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicole Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2004 at 12:25pm
One cause of flyaways is your hair type. Is it at all wavy?

For the *longest* time I was convinced that my hair was frizzy and flyaway because it was damaged and unhealthy. I thought I had basically straight hair. Then I figured out my hair was quite wavy/curly and all my new growth was coming in all curly - which accounted for my frizz. Because it's so very long, I've got alot of different degrees of wavyness in my hair ranging between 1b & 2b in there and because of that it always has some amount of frizz.

There isn't much I can do short of using some product in my hair to avoid the frizz. Usually I just let it do what it wants and it's much happier that way. One thing that helps is allowing some natural oil build up and use a BBB to smooth it through. But, since my hair is so long I usually have it up, so the only place the frizz is noticeable is my scalp, and especially so on fresh-washed days.

It's annoying and not exactly aesthetically pleasing, but I accept the frizz in trade off for healthy hair.
My hair is almost to my knees (~50") and continues to grow longer. Rather slowly these days, but that's ok - it's still *growing*.
Eowyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eowyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2004 at 11:39am
Just wanted to add, from your advise I gleaned on here, I switched to using Lo'real smooth and shiny (comes in an orange bottle) and I just first used it today, so maybe that will help some with those flyaways after some more usage.

The funny thing is I don't ever use a blowdryer, or curling irons or anything like that, and its never been colored or dyed or highlited, so its been in its natural state for a long time. I think tho it could be Ive only just stopped almost constantly wearing my hair in a ponytail like a year or 2 ago (but shouldn't that be grown out?)

I used to tho ALWAYS everyday wear it up (prolly not good) but Im better to it now and wear it down sometimes, but still I get these flyaways, its fine hair I believe, so that could add to the problem..
Eowyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eowyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2004 at 11:29am
Hey there!
Well, for the most part my hair is pretty good, its just I get a lot of those flyaways, like those little wiery hairs that just stick out a little and make my head look like I put my finger in a low setting light socket! Its not very bad, but its just I get those little things pretty much down the length of my hair, and Im not sure how to get them to lie flat? Is this a normal hair thing to have? Do you people with really long nice hair get this too? I just seem to get it a lot, and its aggrivating, so I end up throwing my hair up in a ponytail anyways. Its not very long (about shoulder length), so Im trying to make it in good condition so when it DOES get long its really nice. Thank you for your help!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic