Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Recent Hair Disaster

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nekita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nekita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recent Hair Disaster
    Posted: November 28 2004 at 9:51pm
I have definitely learned my lesson on " just saying no". This is actually my second bad haircut. After the first, I didn't get it cut again for 12 years. (A wee bit of post-cutting trauma). Of course, that was 6th grade. The dreaded 3-0 is coming up really soon, so I'm a little more mature now and won't wait quite that long to get another trim. LOL.

Rosebud, I'm sure you'll look great at your wedding. And in that time, it will grow a few inches right?

My hair is strange. It's combination Curly/Frizzy, with a little bit of straight mixed in. I've gotten it (kinda) under control with gel.

Is getting Hilites/lowlites really bad?

I started taking Flintstones (read somewhere it's enough to make a difference - plus, they taste good), and there's biotin in them.

Oh... how do you get a pic small enough to upload on this site? I'd like for you all to be able to see the frizz I like to call hair. :)

Dave, thank you for your sympathy. I hope one day my hair can be half (or even 1/3) the length yours is.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2004 at 9:28pm
Hi Nekita,

I'm so sorry to read what happened. On the one hand, I appreciate and commend korsakovhatt's advice to try to make the best of your present situation (because after all, at this point, your choices have been reduced by one). On the other hand, you'll want to evaluate your salon visit to ensure that this sort of episode doesn't recur (to you, and Longbraidz, and rosebud). Here you have been conscientiously and carefully growing your one-length hair longer for the past year, yet at the salon the stylist weakened your will by criticizing you (those magically-horrible words "you have no style"). We all make mistakes. "Live and learn," they say. So take heart in the knowledge that you won't ever have to repeat this scenario; for when you have that long, one-length hair again and you visit a salon and the stylist tries to talk you into unwanted cutting, you'll be prepared to stand your ground and "just say no."

I hope this helps. Much sympathy. (( Nekita ))
rosebud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosebud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2004 at 7:41pm
I can really sympathize with you. I had something similar happen, ihad mid back length hair, and it got chopped off by accident to a below the ear bob. I tried to get it fixed, and got it shorter, with uneven layers, front is shorter than back. To top it all off, i am getting married in May/June and i'm horrified! Its between 11-13 inches depending on where you measure it. I'm sure its worse if you have thin hair, mine is quite thick (which makes me feel worse, cause it was so pretty when it was long :( ) I wouldnt color it if you're trying to make it grow longer, Do get it fixed though, if you have a hairdresser or someone else you trust (as for me, i'm too traumatized). I understand you may feel sad, you may grieve your hair, it is a sad thing...I cired and thought that was the end of the tears. Trust me, you will have your moments, when its ok and sometimes you will get very depressed and angry and cry once again. I'm sorry this happened to you. My best advise: Concerning products, what type of hair do you have? It would depend on that, is it straight, curly , puffy, frizzy??
If you're trying to grow it, dont dye it, take multivitamin, biotin. If you want to fix it, find someone good to do that, do with it what your heart desires. IN both cases, it will help to TRY and make the best of it, try to find ways, hairstyles to make you love it a little more, just the way it is.

Hope i was helpful.
LongBraidz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongBraidz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2004 at 6:59pm
Hi Nekita...I'am really sorry to hear that your unhappy with your hair. I have been there...saw that...and never got a T-shirt I'am currently trying to grow out my hair and there are ALOT of layers. I know I have to be patient and stay committed to how I want my hair to be. I'am currently wearing my hair pinned up. It is a comfortable style for me because even when my hair was very long...I still wore it pinned up. Perhaps you may want to try that. Best Wishes and please don't cut off any more of your hair.

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." ~Kahlil Gibran~
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2004 at 7:09am
If you want to grow long hair, don't use the split ender. I've heard of it tearing up people's hair (haven't personally tried it).

You know what may help your mood, get pictures of people with hair like yours and look at the pictures at least once a day. Seriously! The more you see your hair on other people, the more you will get used to it and learn to accept it on you (since you don't sound like you want to cut it and there's otherwise no way you can change much until it grows out). Remember Cher and Susan Sarandon (probably didn't spell that right) in their Witches of Easwick days? Layered, curly, poofy hair. They could do it, so can you! Search curly hair websites for different styles you can wear that will flatter your cut. If you have to live with it, you may as well try to enjoy it.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Nekita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nekita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2004 at 4:33am
Hey... have you heard of a product called the "Split Ender"? I saw it in Walgreens ($40) and I was wondering if maybe you'd try it.

And maybe I'll try those Loreal Creme Lites next time.

:)
korsakovhatt3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korsakovhatt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2004 at 12:33am
Highlights and lowlights ARE expensive. That's why I decided to my own. ($16.99 for a box of L'Oreal Creme Lights)

Next time you get a haircut, shop around for a stylist who respects your desire for long hair. Look for a stylist who actually has long, beautiful hair. When my hair was all one length I went to a few stylists who wanted to cut my hair a lot shorter. I wouldn't let them. Now I have a stylist who used to have waist-length hair himself. He never tries to talk me into something I don't want and he never cuts off more than I ask him to.

Viktoria posted a really interesting link a while back. It shows how to cut your own long hair. I think that's what I might do next time I need a trim. I want to be totally in control of what happens to my hair.

Here's Viktoria's Hair Trim link: http://members.fortunecity.com/feye/trim/index.html
My user name is WAY too long. Just call me Juliana. :-)
Nekita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nekita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2004 at 6:59pm
Excellent pun, that made me laugh. :)

I actually can't stand looking in the mirror right now. Curly and layers are so not a good combination for me. It's HUGE. I hope I can tame it while it grows out. I just feel like I've taken such a step backward and I'm so angry at myself for saying yes to cutting. What got me is she looked at my long, one length hair and said I have no style. I'd rather have no style than this nightmare.

Your hair looks very natural the the layers look good on you. I'd put a picture up of me, but I hope to never have a picture taken of this look. Perhaps when I'm a little happier.. :) I'm going to try to put up a pic, pre-cutting. The last time I tried, the file size was too big.

Hilites and lowlites aren't so bad, except after a couple months when they are growing out. Then they are so darn expensive to do again.

Thanks again. :)
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2004 at 3:50pm
My grandmother doesn't keep anything for like over a month. If she's not using it she throws it out.
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korsakovhatt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2004 at 1:24pm
I've gotten quite a few of my scarves at Wal-Mart. A friend just sent me a really pretty one that she bought for $6 at Target. I've also bought a few vintage silk ones at 2nd hand shops. I've never paid more than $8 for one. Raiding your grandmother's closet might also turn up a few.
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2004 at 1:20pm
Where do you find the scarves?
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korsakovhatt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2004 at 8:48am
I don't use gel on my hair. If it works for you, though, stick with it. I use Got2b Kinky curling mousse when I scrunch my hair because I only have a little bit of natural wave.

Are you liking your new haircut any better now? Sometimes, if you just live with it for a while it grows on you (pun intended).

As for my hair colour -- It's completely unnatural. It's naturally a level 2-3 very dark chestnut/auburn. I achieved my current colour by heavily (very heavily) highlighting with L'Oreal Creme Lights. My hair is completely highlighted so none of my natural colour remains. I didn't want to do a complete bleach-out, though, because I wanted some variation in shades of blonde. There are five different shades of blonde in my hair -- ranging from a dark golden blonde to a pale neutral blonde.

I don't know much about hair-cutting techniques. I think a good hair stylist should be able to trim your hair so that the layers blend well. If you decide to go this route, just make sure you let the stylist know that you want to maintain as much length as possible while growing your hair back to one length. There's no need to chop it all off to one length right now. You can get there gradually.

My hair is a little over 2' at its longest, but I also have layers that are only 4". If the layers are angled properly, they will blend into the length.

Here's what my layered haircut looks like. I'm really happy with it.

Good luck with your hair. You should post a photo of your new cut. You may get a deluge of compliments that completely changes your opinion of it.

P.S. Since you're lucky enough to have naturally blonde hair, you have a lot of options for your hair colour. If you don't like the look of lowlights and highlights you could use an all-over high-lift tint to achieve an all-over lighter blonde. You can choose to have it a neutral shade, more gold, champagne, or ash. I envy the possibilities.
Nekita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nekita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2004 at 7:00am
Hi! Thanks for writing back... and your hair is absolutely beautiful.

I've had one-length hair my whole life, so seeing the choppy layers all over... I think it looks aweful. Plus, since my hair is pretty thin, the layers made the bottom REALLY thin (I think it looks like a rats tail). The short chunks by my face also look very weird compared to the length in the back. I think it was you that wrote something about that a while ago... that having short hair in front didn't blend too well with the long hair in back.

I'll try your idea with styling products. All I use is gel, any other suggestions?

Also, I was wondering if you color your hair at all. I recently started getting hi-lites and low-lites to make my naturally blonde hair look better. I'm not too thrilled with the multi-colored look... what do you do?

Once more thing... now that there are layers, any suggestions for trimming the layers while trying to make it once length again?

Thanks so much!!! :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korsakovhatt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2004 at 12:50am
What is it about the layers that makes you so unhappy? Have you tried washing it and styling it yourself? I've left salons in tears before only to go home, style my hair myself and end up liking it. The good thing about layers is that all of our hair doesn't grow at the same rate. Layers tend to blend in more and more as they grow.

I have no idea what you hair looks like or what you want it to look like, so I'm just guessing here. What if you put a dab of a light styling product in your hair and finger-scrunch it while it's drying. That would give you more of an over-all natural wavy look. The layers would be less noticeable. I'm also a big fan of hair scarves -- they can hide a multitude of hair disasters. I also wear scarves even when my hair is looking good. I think they're really flattering on almost everyone and you can find them in so many different colours and prints.

Nekita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nekita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2004 at 9:54pm
I just read a bunch of these posts and there seem to be a lot of helpful people. Help!!!

For the past year, I have been working hard to make my hair healthy and long. Getting regular trims and using good products. Last Wednesday, my hairdresser convinced me to cut layers into my naturally kinda curly hair. I have never been so embarrassed to leave my house in my life. Now that the tears have stopped, I need to know what to do to make these layers go away as quickly as possible (no more cutting!!!) and get my hair back as it was pre-Wednesday. At the longest point, it's at the middle of my back, but at the shortest it's just below my chin.

Any advice would be so greatly appreciated...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic