Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

how often to trim?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
deltagirl12345 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deltagirl12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how often to trim?
    Posted: December 03 2004 at 11:07am
Hi Hi:

When I get the ends cut, I tell them to only cut 1/2 an inch, NO MORE. I am very straight about it to the stylist. Once she is done, I look it over and then "I" decide if I want more cut, NOT HER.

We have to take control of our own hair.

Susan.
Susan
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2004 at 7:07am
When you go to a salon, don't ask for "a trim" or "to have the dead stuff / split ends removed". Just ask for exactly the amount you want taken off. If you only want a half inch removed, ask specifically to have a half inch removed. Keep a close eye out and make sure that's all that's getting removed. If they take off much more than that after you were specific about it, you have the right to complain to the manager.

Be sure before you get into the chair that you have a nice person who cares more about making you happy than doing what he/she wants to do to your head. (in other words, try to have a conversation with them first about exactly what you want, and if you don't think you trust them to do just that, tell them you want to think about it or schedule an appointment for later...then you can always cancel over the phone if you decide to).

As for your layers, you may want to watch them and see if you're getting splits in the upper layers, but if you're not, don't cut them. If you do cut them, don't take off more than a half inch. Your hair should get less thin looking on the ends once the layers catch up, but if longer hair is your goal, you may enjoy it more if you don't get it trimmed up to the upper layer all at once. That will have to be your decision. Good luck!
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2004 at 5:10pm
What is your hair care routine, and what products do you use?

Do you perm or color?

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
prettybabie00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prettybabie00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2004 at 5:02pm
this happens to me all the time, i am in the same situation, only ive just recently gotten it trimmed again, and they trimmed the layers too :( now it looks alot shorter and i hate it...and the layers have to grow out again!

but sorry i dont know what the best solution is
akasara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akasara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2004 at 4:12pm
I''''''''ve been trying really hard to grow my hair.... It usually never grows much longer than my shoulders before it starts looking really ragged at the ends. It''''''''s pretty fine and breaks easily.

Anyway, its been 4 months since my last cut, and I am once again in a situation where the ends look really bad... Should I fight the urge to get a trim? Also, I am growing out layers that are about 3 inches shorter than the rest of my hair.. those ends are bad too... If I go for a trim, should I trim those too? I did that last time and regretted it.

Whenever I go for a trim (to get just the dead ends off), my hair always seems lots shorter and I feel like I never get anywhere with the length. My hair grows very slowly and I really want long hair. If you were me... what would you do????

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic