Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

essential oils - do they work?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: essential oils - do they work?
    Posted: April 27 2005 at 2:52pm
thanx!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2005 at 1:44pm
I don't know which ones, I just always heard that people with those conditions should be careful.  I suppose if your asthma is caused by a certain plant, using oils from that plant or a related plant would give you a problem.  Since you have both of those conditions and you like using oils, I would visit an aromatherapist who can analyze your health situation to make sure you don't use the wrong ones.
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2005 at 12:46pm
Which oils shouldn't you use if you've got asthma/excema. I've got both and I'm really worried now I'm going to use the wrong ones!
korsakovhatt3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korsakovhatt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2004 at 3:15pm
I don't know if I would put sesame oil on my hair. It tastes good, but I think the smell would be really overwhelming on the hair. It also needs to be refrigerated or it will go rancid. I'd save the sesame oil for cooking.

I think jojoba and coconut oils are really good recommendations. They smell good and they make your hair feel great. I sometimes use some eucalyptus oil in my conditioner just because I love the smell.
My user name is WAY too long. Just call me Juliana. :-)
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2004 at 7:13am
You can certainly use the jojoba and leave it on overnight, that's good for hair. I've never tried ginger or sesame. The main thing you want to do when you use oils in your hair is use ones that closely mimic real scalp oil (from your own head), and ones that don't go rancid. Both jojoba and coconut oil don't go rancid so they're great choices.

As far as essential oils like the ones you see in the vitamin isles of stores, I wouldn't put that in my hair. Some of those things are so strong they're meant to be diluted before use (a lot), and if you didn't dilute enough and got in on your skin while you were sleeping, it could also burn you. Essential oils should be thought of as medicines, not just as nice smelling stuff. Be aware also that you wouldn't want to use certain essential oils during pregnancy, or if you have asthma, epilepsy, or liver damage.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
toriaX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toriaX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2004 at 9:54pm
I want to grow my hair because of a bad hair cut.
I came across a website(forgot the name) suggesting to mix a TBS of ginger oil, sesame oil, and jojaba oil and to leave it on over night. I wanted to know if anyone has tried using essential oils at all?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic