Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Essential Oils

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Essential Oils
    Posted: April 30 2005 at 11:18am
You can use jojoba straight, or it is still effective down to 10%, according to Camden-Grey Essential Oils.

If you dilute one oil with another, the one you dilute with is the carrier oil, even if it itself has beneficial properties.

So you can use jojoba straight, you can dilute it with a carrier oil, or you can use it as a carrier oil when diluting essential oils.

Currently I prefer a mix of 1:1 jojoba and sweet almond oil, with essential oils or fragrance oils added to suit my mood.

If my scalp is feeling itchy, I mix up rosemary oil, lavender oil, and tea tree oil and apply it directly to the scalp. Then I apply jojoba and sweet almond oil to my length, put on a shower cap and a heat cap for 1/2-1 hour, then wash it out.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 11:06am
I'm confused, you're talking about carrier oils, I thought you could just use stuff like jojoba straight on??? 
The Asian Invasion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Asian Invasion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2005 at 5:25pm
Yes, Dave, I do "search and destroy" for my split ends, but I lost the pair of scissors I was using (whoops), and so I haven't done so in at least a month. I'm due for a trim anyways, the last one I had was back in September. =D
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2005 at 6:03pm
AI - you seem to have that virtually indestructible type of hair -- lucky you! I believe that if something works for you, then by all means continue. BTW, I'm curious... do you ever do "search & destroy" on those splits?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Asian Invasion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2005 at 5:29pm
The closest that I have found to a health store in town was a nature store that sold Burt's Bees. I am still on a quest to find jojoba though! =)

I've been using essential oils since November, and I haven't noticed much damage besides split ends, but I credited those to flat irons and not the best treatment of my hair. So I'm not really sure if they really are wreaking havoc or not.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2005 at 4:06pm
Hi Asian Invasion,

You can't find jojoba oil? It's sold at most any health food store. Do you have any in your area?

I believe any/all EO's are best diluted in some carrier oil (such as jojoba). Straight EO's can stress strands. I don't advise using undiluted EO's. Just my 2 cents.
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2005 at 2:43pm
For some reason I can't edit my previous post.

Just to add more:
Normally, essential oils shouldn't be used straight. I personally don't find it economical or practical to do that on my hair because it's harder to control than if I mixed it with a carrier oil. And my thickness eats up the oil, which is often relatively expensive. But if using it straight works for you, whatever floats your boat.

Misting with a diluted essential oil: this is VERY common for longhairs to do, and it's harmless, so, again, go nuts. :)

Anais
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2005 at 2:35pm
Depends on the essential oil.... They're not harmful by any means, but some can change your hair long term.

Some essential oils make your hair (and skin) more sensitive to UV radiation. e.g. citrus oils I believe belong in this category. UV light breaks down bonds in hair protein and can make hair warp (again, I'm not completely sure)

Some essential oils are supposed to make hair lighter, such as chamomile.

Essential oils IMHO are nicely scented, and some of them have also been proven to relieve scalp issues such as itch or flaking (tea tree oil) but for the most part, you wouldn't be using enough to make a difference on your hair anyway. Just my two cents on that measure.

Brenda Sullivan sells all sorts of carrier oils on her soap making site here: www.mystifyyoursenses.com . She's in New Jersey, so shipping to you should be faster and cheaper than say.., to me. Jojoba oil is $6-7 for 8 oz, coconut oil is 3.00 a pound.. something like that. Go nuts.

Hugs and blessings,
Anais

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Asian Invasion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2005 at 12:51pm
How bad are Essential oils for your hair? I've used Essential oils where I dilute it in water and spray it into my hair, and I've used it just straight onto my length. Are they too harsh for my hair?

I haven't see any bad results, my hair seems to love this stuff, and I get tons of compliments on how my hair smells.

Should I try to just dilute it in Jojoba or something? I haven't had any good luck in finding jojoba or coconut oil where I live though. =(
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic