Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sugar bad for growing hair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sugar bad for growing hair?
    Posted: February 09 2005 at 6:45am
I know what you mean Suers, I'm on a similar diet now, but I cheat like the @#$%ens! I just try to limit my sugar to one thing with sugar in it a day. I know it would be better to cut it out entirely, but I feel the diet will last longer and be more of a life change if I allow myself to have a little fun on occasion!
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
GoldieLocks92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldieLocks92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2005 at 1:34pm
Thanks for your replies!
I'm going to try and cut out some sugar. I think I'm addicted to sugar, too Suers! lol.

A
Hair is BSL+ as of 9/15/05
Suers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2005 at 10:45am
I did once go on a diet as a teenager where I cut out all sugar and white flour. I ate lots of protein, whole grains and vegetables and limited fruits to two fruits per day. After a few months I noticed my hair and skin were wonderful. Unfortunately, this type of diet has a "withdrawal" period from sugar. It was also difficult because most people eat foods with sugar and white flour. Eating out was difficult. I had to pack snacks all the time since I needed to eat every two to three hours to keep my blood sugar level.

I was getting more vitamins and protein. I wasn't eating junk food like potato chips, fries, cookies, crackers etc. I just remember the withdrawal part from sugar was horrible. I relived it shortly when my husband and I went on the South Beach Diet. The first two weeks are brutal. Some people don't get it so bad. I must be addicted to sugar!!!!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2005 at 10:19am
Some scalp conditions are caused by yeast growing on the scalp...I would imagine that if you have this problem, you probably have a whole lot of problems from yeasts in all areas of your body (so you'd probably know about it already if you did). In that case, a Ph diet designed to alkalize your body would help your health in all ways by helping get rid of the yeasts...and this diet does cut out sugar.

Otherwise though, I doubt eating sugar can be that bad for your hair (providing you're not eating a lot of it at every meal, every day).

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2005 at 11:13pm
Speaking from personal experience, I just wanted to add that too much sugar intake can aggravate scalp issues. Don't know about hair, though. Maybe the hair growth is affected by the scalp issues e.g. itch, inflammation, etc...

Althouuuuugh.... brown sugar scrubs are great!

Anais
my LJ, 40 inches long
sunrise View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2005 at 5:43pm
My whole mouth is full of 'sweet teeth'! LOL!!! I eat a LOT of sugar, and maybe grow about 1/4-1/2 an inch of hair a month (average, I am told).

I have read that stress and sugar deplete the body of the B vitamins. If you read the labels for stress vitamins, they are mostly the B's. Hair vitamins contain B vitamins as well. Isn't biotin a B vitamin too?

I'd like to see the studies about sugar and hair follicles too!
GoldieLocks92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldieLocks92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2005 at 4:11pm
I've been convinced, yet again by another "fact" that I'm not sure about.
Somebody said that sugar kills the hair follical or something. I know bad diets don't help the hair at all but...is this true?

A
Hair is BSL+ as of 9/15/05
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic