Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Long hair Qs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long hair Qs
    Posted: February 19 2005 at 11:15am
Originally posted by Vicky Vicky wrote:

I'm *trying* to grow my hair. Can you tell me...

1. How often I should wash it
2. How much conditioner I should use
3. How often it should be trimmed

Oh, and any other advice much appreciated. Thanks!

If it helps I last had it cut yesterday and it's at my shoulders, had about 4 inches taken off.

Hi Vicky,

1) As infrequently as possible. The more you wash it, the more wear it gets (and the less healthy it gets; analogous to laundering an article of clothing). I now wash my hair once every 5-7 days. But I had to slowly and gradually wean myself from washing it daily in the shower.

2) Use as much as is necessary to coat the strands from chin down. Since your hair is to your shoulders, you don't need to use much. The more time you leave it on, the more time it has to impart its effects.

3) Given that your stylist's idea of a "trim" is a 4-inch lopping, I'd say the answer to your question is close to never. In the coming months, learn to find and trim your own split ends. And next year or whenever you do set foot inside a salon again, be firm. Tell them in advance that you want at most a half an inch trimmed, and if they cut any more you won't pay them.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2005 at 6:58am
Highlights are an excellent choice if you want to grow it long. Since you already have blonde hair, you won't need many to make it look a lot blonder, and if you decide to grow them out later, you can gradually reduce the hair you get highlighted so it stays looking natural as they grow out and you don't have a thick root problem.

As for scarves, knots were never my forte' so I just do a regular double knot.
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
BlondeJohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlondeJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2005 at 2:58am
Susan, the thing with scarves is, you have to tie them properly. I can't really explain it, but they shouldn't slip. You can pin them also if you want.
Both my wife and I love to wear scarves of various materials. I wear them in my hair, my wife likes to wear headscarves at times over her short hair, or wear a scarf around her neck or over her shoulder.
I sometimes use a large square scarf as a headwrap tied in the back, with my long hair underneath it, with my hair loose and down my back.
After talking with a couple of other ladies about it, including my beautician Julie, I have decided not to go platinum. I have decided to just get my hair highlighted. My hair is a dark blonde color, and I will get some light blonde highlights put in.
My beauty salon appointment is tomorrow afternoon. I'm going to get the highlights, and get my hair trimmed an inch or so, in a straight across blunt cut, to even out my hair and get rid of the split ends.
I am also going to get a massage, a manicure, and my ear lobes pierced again.
I am going for more length on my tresses. My hair is mid-back length now, I would like to get it to tailbone length.

Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2005 at 7:00am

Thanks for the compliments on my website! I'm glad when people find it useful. I've tried to wear a scarf, but they just slip out, even if my hair is secured in a ponytail first. (I suppose I could discreetly pin them in).

Bleaching platinum absolutely hurt my hair! Mine is sort of a dark blondish type shade naturally too. (For some reason it often comes out looking red in those photos). What I really wanted was waist length platinum, but I could never get it to grow there. It just required too many trims to keep it from looking so split. I had to cut off a half inch or an inch about every month. I would skip a month on occasion, so that's what kept it at exactly the same length for 6 years and never gaining.

I also had to use heavy silicone conditioner to keep the splits nice and glued down. It may have contributed to me needing so many haircuts, but it probably helped more than hurt with such damaged white hair. I used any old cheapo shampoo (usually VO5 or suave) with pantene conditioner. So, while it was white, it did look shiny and healthy (if I trimmed of course), but it wasn't really. If I didn't use the pantene, it felt so dry and crusty-brittle!
I shampood/conditioned every other day, same as now.

My advice would be that if you want your hair to grow longer, don't go white. You can grow it with a darker shade of blonde, but I haven't found a way to do it with white. In fact that's why I went back natural. I loved my white hair, and it made me better looking, but what I wanted my whole life was super-long hair and it just wasn't happening. If you don't really care about how long yours gets, hey, it was fun too!

It also thinned my hair out quite a bit (tons of fallout in the shower). I have naturally thick hair, so it still looked fine, people just thought my hair was naturally that color and on the thin side of normal. But if you don't start with a nice thick head of hair, it may be more noticeable.

If you go for it, please get some advice on what to do, or have it done at a salon. It's really sad when people destroy nice long hair with experiments (2 years and STILL trying to grow it back to the same length for me!).
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlondeJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2005 at 12:18am
Wow Susan, I read your website, you have really been on a hair journey, with all of the different colors of hair you have had, and the different lengths from a short bob cut to long hair!
I like the hair accessories on your website too. I love wearing hair accessories such as barrettes, scrunchies, hair ribbons, scarves, etc.. Do you ever use a scarf to tie back your ponytail?
I have been thinking of getting my long tresses bleached platinum. My wife doesn't want me to do it, she thinks it will hurt my hair. I may just get my hair highlighted as planned. But I would interested in your opinions about when you hair was bleached platinum. My hair is naturally dark blonde in color, so going platinum wouldn't be that big of a change, just lighter colored hair for me to wear.
Thanks,
BlondeJohn

Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2005 at 7:11am

1. You should wash it as often as it needs it. Some people can go a whole week without, others have to do it every other day and no less. Your scalp must be clean to prevent bacteria breaking down your sebum (which would give dirty head smell) and clogging your follicles...but then your scalp's natural moisturizer (the sebum) is good for moisturizing your hair. You just have to find the balance that works for you. Washing with your shampoo diluted with up to 75% water may be a solution if you have to wash more frequently.

2. I don't think the amount you use is that important...any excess will just be wasted and go down the drain. The type of conditioner is important. Different hair types require different things, but be aware that if you use a lot of cones, (anything in the ingredients that ends in 'cone), your hair can suffer long term if you don't remove the buildup with a clarifying shampoo occasionally.

3. If your hair is damaged it may need more frequent trims than undamaged hair. Perms, coloring, using heat on it, all give damage. Splits have to be removed, or they get worse and cause you to have to cut off more, but you don't need to remove any more than what is split. (If you "dust" or go around your head just trimming off splits from individual hairs, you can can avoid trims if you choose to). If you want it to grow very long, avoiding the salon may be best. Many of us trim our own hair. Unless your hair was extremely damaged or split, taking off 4 inches sounds pretty drastic to me.

Read the post down below called "growing my hair out" by Elesha for some other tips. (I typed a lot of stuff in there I didn't want to type again since you didn't specifically ask for that).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlondeJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2005 at 1:45am
Hi Vicky.

I have had long hair for a number of years. I keep my hair long for two reasons;
One-I love the feel and look of having long, smooth, silky hair.
Two- My wife likes long hair on me. In fact she really likes it! (my daughters actually like it too).
I shampoo and condition usually every other day, maybe 3 times a week. Don't overuse conditioner. Use as instructed. If your hair is color treated then you need to use a little more conditioner or buy a conditioner for color treated hair.
I alternate hair products. I was told by several women with gorgeous long hair, that alternating hair products is good for the hair.
I use several different hair products, including salon products like Aveda and Redken. I also use Avalon Organics, and sometimes less expensive brands like VO5 or Clairol.
Every few weeks I use a clarifying shampoo.
When I wear my long hair in a ponytail, I use scrunchies, clips, or scarves, I never use rubber bands which damage hair. At other times I just pin my hair back in a bun, put it in an updo or just wear my long tresses loose and down my back.
I go for a trim at a beauty salon twice a year. I get about an inch cut off each time, just to even it out, I get it cut in a straight across blunt cut, just to make it look nice and get rid of the split ends. My hair grows from 6-7 inches a year, so even with the trims, I am getting some growth on my hair, maybe 5 inches a year. It will take me a few more years to get my hair to tailbone or classic length.

Good luck!
BlondeJohn

Vicky View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2005 at 9:03am
I'm *trying* to grow my hair. Can you tell me...

1. How often I should wash it
2. How much conditioner I should use
3. How often it should be trimmed

Oh, and any other advice much appreciated. Thanks!

If it helps I last had it cut yesterday and it's at my shoulders, had about 4 inches taken off.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic