Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

COW-C, C-COW-C, etc : new wash method

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: COW-C, C-COW-C, etc : new wash method
    Posted: February 23 2005 at 5:14pm
Thanks for clarifying, Suers. :) it's VERY important to make only as much COW c.ocktail as you need.

Renee, the conditioners you'd use for a COW wash isn't necessarily silicone laden. You can COW without silicones. The conditioner in the COW c.ocktail can be V05 (coneless), Suave Naturals (coneless), or White Rain (also coneless).

So whether you use cones for the third C... it's up to you.

You could also do an ACV dip/dunk, and swish your hair around in a plastic bowl of ACV solution. The swishing helps cover more area than a rinse.

Blessed be
Anais
my LJ, 40 inches long
Suers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2005 at 9:54am
might I suggest if you are going to dilute shampoo or conditioner with water, use it the same day. Don't leave diluted shampoo or conditioner sitting around. The preservatives in the products don't work as well diluted. Bacteria and yeasts can grow in your diluted mix when you let it sit. You could get a very bad eye infection or illness.

Rinse out your diluting bottle every time you use it. If you dilute too much, throw it out. Some might say you could keep leftovers in the fridge but are you really going to put COLD diluted shampoo on your head?
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2005 at 6:44am
To remove buildup from those silicones, use a clarifying shampoo once every two weeks.
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2005 at 6:31pm
i wil definitely try it. thanks Anais. I was told an ACV rinse wont remove buildup from some silicones. So do you think this method would work?
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2005 at 3:46pm
Hi Susan!

Great to hear that the shampoo dilution is working well for you! Preferred dilution ratios may vary, but I only know of one person who claims that this method does not work for them (vs about 10 who say it works great). Thanks for the feedback!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2005 at 7:53am
Wow, such a scientific method! I don't know if I will start putting conditioner in my shampoo, my hair gets too oily too fast...though I will indeed try it one day when I don't have to leave the house!

I have to say that I've had EXCELLENT luck with diluting my shampoo. Thanks Dave! My hair gets clean, and stays clean until the next wash day, but there are no longer any dry scalp issues. I can't believe this problem was actually caused by shampoo, given that they only sell more HARSHLY DRYING shampoos to fix it! (I dilute 50/50 of regular herbal shampoo with water, I still like a good lather).
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2005 at 7:27am
Hi AnaisSatin,

Thank you for the detailed instructions on this method. I may give it a go next week. Years ago I occasionally did a pre-wash conditioning (using some cheap old conditioner that I wanted to get rid of anyway), and found the process to be effective. I may give that a try again (by itself). Experiment. [The hair has been good the past week. The diluted vinegar rinses make a big difference. ]
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2005 at 3:08pm

Hey Folks

(cross posted)

COW-C, C-COW-C, and other variations (C - CO+W - C, C-"cow"-C, or C--C
(can be pronounced in any of the above ways)
This fusion method is basically a combination CO, CWC, and Dilution-a-la-Dave (diluting shampoo in plain water). The grease goes away, but the moisture can stay!

The method begins with the basic CWC, but it is modified by the addition of conditioner to your shampoo. Cutting shampoo this way added moisture and you get the best of both worlds (the CO and the CWC), since oftentimes people can only go one way or the other. C-COW-C is a middle ground.

This method works best for the following kinds of people:
Those who itch from CO but would like a gentler method of cleansing anyway
Those who get too greasy from CO and have a difficult adjustment period - [may help] Those with dry scalp, but who still have dead skin buildup that can be removed only by a detergent (???).

You will need the same stuff you'd use for a CWC:
- The same C-onditioner you'd normally use for CO or CWC (e.g. any of the V05 regulars, any Suave Naturals, White Rain)
- your regular shampoo (W-ash)
- a plastic squeeze bottle, ~24 oz or less
- seamless rake comb, if you use one
- your favorite final C-onditioner

(1) The first C (optional): Wet scalp and entire length. Work the light conditioner into your ends or into the "bottom half" of your hair.
(2) Make your COW mix: In a squeezie bottle, add 1 dose (a dose is your regular amount of shampoo) of shampoo and 1-2 heaping tbsp of the same light conditioner. Add 8-14 oz of water and shake well. This isn't scientific by any means. Some people could end up preferring less water, if they use less shampoo. As long as you end up with a nice cappuccino froth. Just today (02/16/2005) I made two separate COW mixes, each one being about 6 oz. Each mix contained 1 tsp of C and a nickel-sized dollop of shampoo.
(3) Apply your COW mix: Squeeze contents onto wet scalp, massaging the scalp lightly as you would with a CO wash. Finger comb only in this step, even though there is conditioner involved.
(4) Rinse very VERY well.
(5) Apply your regular conditioner normally; generally from the ears down. Comb, rinse, etc.. as usual.

updated to add "variations"

With this method, I get a "clean" feeling that still has the bounce of CO or CWC. This method does differ from CWC in practice, since the shampoo is made more gentle by the addition of light conditioner.

There hasn't been enough doc*mentation of this method. If anyone has anything to add, I'll be happy to edit this entry.

Hugs and blessings :)
Anais

Edited to change all the c.ocktails to "mix" because of the censor : P

Edited by AnaisSatin
my LJ, 40 inches long
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic