Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

getting hair softer and longer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: getting hair softer and longer
    Posted: September 21 2004 at 6:49pm
Hi Layla,

I can't say I do.. but lately I've been researching different properties of affordable clays such as Bentonite and Kaolin. Many people have had success with a clay based shampoo-- just clay, water, and with or without honey/molasses. Sometimes an essential oil can be added. I'll be sure to post my results with this sometime after I try some combinations.

Anais

Edited to add: I can recommend jojoba oil, shea butter, and avocado oil for both hair and skin. I don't have any specific recipes that are written down. I have made lotion bars with the above ingredients and they turned out lovely. It's 1/3 part beeswax, 1/3 part any butter such as shea or kokum, 1/3 part an oil mixture. Melt the beeswax and add everything else, when liquefied pour into molds or lotion sticks.
my LJ, 40 inches long
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2004 at 11:36am
It went well. I have so much hair that I'm not sure if I didn't shampoo it out enough. But it doesn't matter to me. My hair came out softer and that's all that matters to me. I have African-American hair so my scalp isn't oily so oils wouldn't make my hair look greasy or anything. Do you have any other natural recipes for hair care?
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2004 at 8:51pm
Layla! How'd the deep oiling go? First time I ever did it, I didn't shampoo it out well enough.. I'm such a goof.
my LJ, 40 inches long
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2004 at 11:51am
okay I didnt heat up the oil. i just rubbed it in my hands to warm it up a bit and put a shower cap on and a warm damp towel over it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2004 at 8:26pm
I suppose you could, but then that's a whole another process (I think it's called hot oiling). Normally if you put on a shower cap, your body heat should be enough. A small amount of heat would open your cuticles, making them more receptive to the moisture. Or so I've heard.

Good luck!
Anais
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2004 at 4:41pm
Do you have to heat up the oil when you deep oil? I'm thinking about doing it right now.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2004 at 4:13pm
Do you get an oily scalp or dandruff? That would require washing at least every other day. If you don't have those two issues, then the less you wash per week the better (as long as it looks decent). Ideally, I go twice a week because my hair is about mid-backish approaching waist. It keeps my hair oils from being stripped away.

Coarse hair can also get too dry, faster than fine hair can. ("coarse", not "thick") Then again, thick hair also means the scalp oils are distributed over more hair.

To prevent dryness (which is a huge problem for the majority of thickhairs and coarsehairs, find a shampoo with a gentle "surfactant" (cleanser). Read the labels and find something that says "sodium laureth sulfate". I think Suave Professional's Color Care shampoo has it. Make sure it's the exact spelling, because there are very similar ingredients that are harsh (avoid "sodium lauryl sulfate" and anything that says "ammonium").

HTH

Hugs,
Anais
jojo View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2004 at 1:16pm
my hair type is wavy, a little past my sholders, very thick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2004 at 11:31am
Depends on your hair type. Please describe your hair: curl/wave, length, thickness, fineness/coarsness etc...
jojo View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2004 at 6:49am
and does someone know the best shampoo 2 use?
jojo View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2004 at 6:47am
does any one knows how often to wash ur hair ur hair. i know it's base on ur hair type but can someone tell me please.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2004 at 8:17pm
Oooh, don't get anything that says "contains jojoba oil" or "contains coconut oil" because they're not half as good as the real thing. "Hot oils" often contain other chemicals like thickening agents and preservatives that are not necessarily good for hair.

If you want to deep/heavy oil, get the real natural deal Jojoba is sold cheap in bulk on the internet. Just make sure it's the real thing, 100% pure, simmondsia chinensis, and the golden color.

When you deep oil with jojoba or coconut oil, you'll want to shampoo and condition your hair afterwards like a normal hairwash. This requires shampooing the length, but if you only heavy oil once a week, you can avoid shampooing the length too much.

Hugs,
Anais
banks0022 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote banks0022 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2004 at 6:00pm
ohhh...yesterday i was at sally's and there was a couple of products that had jojoba oil in it, most of which were the hot oil treatments...do u think that hot oil treatments are just as good because from wht i heard they build up in your hair and dont really do any good. also if i bought coconut oil do i just put it on and then rinse it out...does it leave any residue on my hair and also do i have to blow dry it at all while its on?? thX for your heLp!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2004 at 5:36pm
MISCELLANY

I buy my oils from soapmakers or soapmaking ingredients sites such as mystifyyoursenses.com or cedarvale.net , which buy and sell in large quantities. If you need only a small quantity, then Hairboutique does sell both coconut and jojoba on their Marketplace site.

Coconut oil is much cheaper and it lasts a long time; the liquid coconut oil is great (doesn't clog pores) and the solid kind is easy to measure. Both have their pluses. Jojoba is better for hair but it is more than 3x as expensive. Coconut costs about $2-3 a pound, while Jojoba can be upwards of $8/16 fluid ounces. But d*mn is jojoba oil worth the money! They call it liquid gold for a reason.

WHERE TO BUY

Some Walmarts sell coconut oil. And you know those stores at the mall that have herbal supplements and such? They often have an oil selection. And they'll probably have coconut oil. Ask the information desk at your local mall, or look up health food stores in the yellowpages. One such health food store is called Pilgrim's Nutrition Center. Also, you can find coconut oil at places like foreign grocery stores (Indian or Middle Eastern grocers).

Jojoba is not sold cheaply in stores. If you buy it in a store, it's around $8 per 4 oz. If you buy online, it's maybe $10 per 16 oz plus mild shipping.

HTH

Anais
my LJ, 40 inches long
banks0022 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote banks0022 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2004 at 3:50pm
wht do u think is better jojoba oil or cocunut oil, and by health food stores do u mean like grocery stores or somethin?? can u gimme an example, and also how often and how should it be applied...thX for you heLp!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2004 at 12:37pm
Yes!! Olive oil is great and many people have great luck with it. Be sure to shampoo it out really well because it will want to stick to your hair and weigh it down. Olive is a heavier oil than jojoba and others.
thickhair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thickhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2004 at 2:45am
ok thanks, do you think i could use olive oil?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2004 at 1:33am
It's where you oil with a cheap carrier oil, like Coconut oil (great) or Sweet Almond (both are found in health food stores or online from soapmaker ingredient websites) ... and then you leave it in for as long as possible. Wash it out with your regular shampoo and finish with a conditioner. The oils will seep into your hair for a deep moisture treatment. I've seen a lot less frizz with this routine.

Anais
my LJ, 40 inches long
thickhair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thickhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2004 at 8:47pm
hey anais, what is deep oiling?
jojo View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2004 at 4:50pm
thank you AnaisSatin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic