Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Recipes for hair success

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rosebud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosebud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recipes for hair success
    Posted: March 11 2005 at 11:31pm
I've tried olive oil and coconut and most of them...
They're good for your hair. But i only put them on my ends sometimes
2 problems with them:

-over conditioning or oiling will make it look limp or just run over. nasty
I've found it benefits more from occasional deep conditioning

-can upset your scalp, make it itchy and cause build up. keep away from scalp. Some people say they dont have a problem. I do

Annalie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Annalie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2005 at 7:49pm
Olive oil works great for me.

I find that the more curly, coarse or thick your hair is, the better it responds to heavier oils. I have all three so I love the stuff

I like to do olive oil, honey, vitamin E oil and an avocado or a banana. Sometimes I throw in coconut milk too. Works great.
tdouty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdouty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2005 at 7:50am
Hmm. I see two replies that don't recommend olive oil, but we've used it once in a while and it seems to help. We usually don't leave it on long though. We do use a couple drops of jojoba oil about twice a week when we brush it out before bed. Mayo has by far been the best so far, so for those who haven't tried it, it might be worth giving it a shot if you don't mind smelling like a salad until you shampoo. We, too, let it on at least an hour and wrap her head in saran wrap and then a towel until we shower. We use a cheap shampoo to wash everything out and wash her hair 2 or 3 times followed by a deep conditioner of some kind. And yes, she does love the pampering and I love pampering her too :-). We'll have to try cider vinegar since so many here recommend it. One other product my girlfriend has used in the past is beer. She said it really made her hair look great too. It's weird about the eggs. I guess it's the protein in them, but it does make her hair feel nice. We have to use about 6 or 7 of them one at a time and catch them before they slide off her head LOL. It's rather comical to do and we have fun with it. Thanks for the compliments on her hair color, Susan. She'll enjoy the message when she reads it.

1c.m.ii
36" as of January 14, 2008
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2005 at 7:04am
I've done mayo before with excellent results. I find that leaving it on my head for an hour even gives better results than leaving it on for only a half hour.

I don't think I would use olive oil because it can go rancid, and wearing something on my warm head might make it go rancid while it's on me (not a scientific opinion, I know, but that's really why I don't do it!). I do use jojoba oil though.

I've never tried eggs.

Since you like household products, have you tried vinegar? Many people have different recipes for how much vinegar you put in the water. I use 1 tablespoon per 1 cup of water, but I think others use more. One quick rinse in the vinegar water is great for removing buildup and adding shine. (I wash it out right away, and don't let it stay on my head for any length of time).

That's nice that you are so helpful with your girlfriend's hair, she must feel wonderful to be so pampered by you! What a beautiful shiny haircolor she has too!

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 4:59pm
Hi tdouty,

It's unfortunate that you haven't received a reply thus far. Sometimes people just don't know how to help. Is it "better" to remain silent than it is to respond and say "I don't know have a helpful answer to offer?" (shrugs)

I also know that there have been some accessibility issues the past few days. I've had troubles consistently accessing the boards. And sometimes other things prevent people from posting (real life interruptions, and the like). So don't feel badly.

That said, the only thing I have applied to my own hair besides S&C is oil. Olive oil was terrible, it made my hair lank and actually seemed to leach color out of it (yikes!) Coconut oil was worse (lank) but at least it didn't leach out the color. Jojoba works well for me, but I use it very sparingly.

I have heard other people using things like mayo and eggs and various concoctions, to beneficial effect, but I have no personal experience with any of them.

(Your hair is really beautiful!)

[edited to add: Sorry, I goofed -- your girlfriend's hair is beautiful!]

Edited by DaveDecker
tdouty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdouty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 11:51am
Hmm. Only 21 viewed my last message entitled "Special substances" and I had no replies. So, I thought I'd try a different subject because I'm curious if anyone else has tried this and what kind of results they've seen.

My girlfriend has always loved to have her hair long and is once again working on growing it to her waist as it was a few years ago. We met about a year and a half ago and get much mutual enjoyment from her hair. I brush it for her all the time and wash and condition it every time she washes it. One other thing we do every few weeks is to use special ... shall we say .... hair care products in her hair. Because of the value of oil and protein, we use such things as mayonaise, eggs, olive oil, etc, etc. We achieve incredible results with them because her hair always feels very soft and luxurious after applying these things .. especially mayonaise. Has anyone else ever tried these things or have other secret recipes?

Here are a couple pictures for you to see what her hair looks like:
http://jagular.lcs.psu.edu/jenniferhair1.jpg
http://jagular.lcs.psu.edu/jenniferhair2.jpg

1c.m.ii
36" as of January 14, 2008
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic