Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What the ****?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What the ****?
    Posted: February 25 2005 at 4:41am
Originally posted by zapevaj zapevaj wrote:

These loose extensions will be the death of my tomboyishness.

They sure will. This stuff is high-maintenance. Before you know it, Rae, you'll be wearing butt-length Barbie hair, rows of false eyelashes, Donatella bronzer, and makeup applied via trowel.

All this maintenance makes me feel like a drag queen sometimes (not that that's necessarily a bad thing).

:)
zapevaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapevaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 1:29am
Oh, I really feel you about the supplies getting out of hand. Even ignoring my professional tools, I just bought a set of pillow curlers, another brush (smaller, to fit in my purse), a round brush (for my new bangs), and a curling iron. I was never much of a girly-girl when I was younger, so this is honestly the first time I've owned a curling iron or more than one brush! These loose extensions will be the death of my tomboyishness.

-Rae
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2005 at 11:12pm
Finding a steam curling iron these days would be about like when I was looking for the velvet flocked iron Leia! But with the internet and the boards finding anything is possible!

leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2005 at 11:05pm
LOL Jenny. I have a very large drawer devoted to my hair supplies. That doesn't count the bags of synth stored under my dresser or the infamous "wall of hair!"

When I get around to buying some thermal fiber, I'm going to try my teeny tiny iron (from back in like junior high when wearing your hair back with two little ringlets hanging in front was in). I think it's a 3/8" iron.

And Sherrie, we always had the steam irons too, until we couldn't find 'em anymore.
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2005 at 10:59pm
LOL I just had to buy two more plastic totes last weekend to store more supplies! I usually keep all my hair and extension supplies in my luggage, but Ill be using the luggage soon sooooo, gonna need some more totes!
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2005 at 10:56pm
Is it just me, or is it getting totally out of hand with the supplies? And I don't even do extensions!

I'm going to have to move to a bigger place. :)
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2005 at 10:48pm
I think any metal barrel curling iron would work. Although I like the ones that have the different heat settings, more than just high and low. Look at the picture I posted of the curl that I fingercombed. The 5/8 barrel is pretty small and it gives a nice medium sized loose curl when combed out. On human hair it would be a tighter curl. So what ever size iron you would use on human hair I'd go probably 1 to 2 sizes smaller for synthetic hair. I have every size curling iron there is!
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2005 at 10:40pm
Yeah, mine's supershort too--and my extensions are usually butt-length if I can get them that way. It's a non-issue.

I guess I have to buy a new iron, though. Any suggestions? (I'd prefer not to have too small of a barrel, but am definitely willing to get a smaller one than I have now, which is like 1 inch.)

Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2005 at 10:35pm
Jenny, I cant say for sure since I sent the Freetress package to amm. But I think it said in the directions to curl for 30-60 seconds. But I can tell you for sure that I didnt have to hold it half that long to get a beautiful curl. Maybe at tops 20-25 seconds. I didnt actually time it, but I know for sure it took longer than human hair to curl. I am putting some in Saturday so I probably do some more playing with it tomorrow evening .

It doesnt really concern me about the longer curling time, since I generally dont curl much of my natural hair. I usually only curl the extension hair. My real hair is fairly short and I only curl the bottom 8 inches or so.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2005 at 10:19pm
You're not kidding--lol--or my head!

Does it concern anyone that you would have to heat the hair on high for 60 seconds? I never do that with my own hair (but my hair's super-wimpy). I'm just a little concerned about how real hair that's mixed into extensions would respond to that kind of heat. Then again, if it holds the curl longer, I guess you wouldn't have to curl it as often, which would minimize the risk. :)
Bridget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2005 at 10:12pm
Jenny, don't burn your apartment down! LOL
It is what it is...
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2005 at 10:03pm
OK. Thanks for calming me down, Sher.

Obviously, I need to do some more experimenting here--with a different iron, holding the hair for a longer time in the iron....

Thanks again,

Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2005 at 9:59pm
Jenn the ceramic iron maybe too hot. (?)I just use my cheap metal barrel iron. I believe what Ive read about thermal fibers is that they can withstand medium heat. Im not sure if the ceramic irons would be too hot for the hair.

The only smoking I see using my curling iron is the steam from the damp hair. I remember the old steam curling irons(havent seen one in years) and they produced the same sizzle and steam.

I also used a 5/8th barrel curling iron which is pretty small. And I dont think that 15 seconds is enough to curl the hair. I think the package of freetress says to curl for 30 to 60 seconds although I think I curled about 20-25 seconds.

I think I like the ebonyline better than the freetress, it just looks more natural to me since it doesnt have the shine. But I dont know about WaWa yet.

Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2005 at 9:48pm
Also, my curling iron could be crap. It's a Revlon ceramic one, but the barrel's fairly large. I don't know if that would affect the results, though. :)
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2005 at 9:46pm
Huh. I did wet it and tried to curl it--for about 15 seconds. But maybe that's not long enough. Frankly, the sizzling and cloud of smoke disturbed me. I also thought it started to smell strange when it was smoking (yikes!).

What do you think, Sher? Is this comparable to the Freetress or the WaWa?

For some reason, the thought of having this in my hair worries me. It doesn't really seem like it's meant to curl, even if it can (if that makes any sense). I could be overreacting, though.

Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2005 at 9:03pm
Jenny dont get to excited, I dont think you've been had. It wont curl dry. Did you try curling the hair too wet? I just dampened it with my fingers ( Or I suppose you can mist it) And yes you will hear a sizzle as the water will sizzle on a hot curling iron. Did you leave the hair in the curling iron long enough to curl it dry....so to speak. It takes holding it in the iron a little longer than human hair.

My packages say the same thing with the whited out "Do Not". I think they may have had some misprinted packaging and just choose to white out tape the words out and use the packaging.
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2005 at 8:54pm
Hey Jenn, heres a picture of the ebonyline. It curled beautifully for me. I just ran my fingers under the faucet and then ran my wet fingers down the strand and then curled it with my curling iron on high.

here is the same curl fingercombed:
Kimbearly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbearly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2005 at 7:45pm
On the bright side at least it's $8.99.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2005 at 6:31pm
Either I'm on crack, or this ebonyline thermo does not curl--at all.

I just took it out of the bag and tried to curl it dry, several times, with my iron, and nada. Then I wet the strands and tried to curl them, and again nada--just a disturbing sizzle and cloud of smoke.

Has anyone else tried to curl this stuff yet? Sher, where are ya? Am I missing something here?

Edited to say: I just looked at the directions on the back, and even more disturbing the "original" instructions say "Do not curl with an iron," but the "Do not" part has a white sticker over it, as if to say, "Curl with an iron."

I think I've been had...for $8.99?!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic