Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IM GONNA TRY TO POST PICTURES

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IM GONNA TRY TO POST PICTURES
    Posted: March 08 2005 at 6:53pm
Well, you've made a good point. The biggest problem with extensions--where they go really wrong for the client--is when the stylists aren't upfront about the risks. If yours had simply been honest with you about the risks, you could've made an informed decision. But when someone who's an expert says that something is totally safe, you tend to think, "Well, they're the expert!" I've gotten burned in exactly this way myself--as well as many others here. Fortunately, there's more information available to consumers from actual consumers now; when I first got extensions, there really wasn't much information out there, aside from glorified advertisments, each company claiming their method was the best and the least damaging.

Good luck, Lisa. :)
lisa lisa View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa lisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 6:17pm
Hi Jenn, I guess when I originally had the extensions (Great Length's) put in my hair, I was thinking I would be giving my hair a break and that it would grow back in, and that's what I was told. I probably didn't do enough research on them. I saw a couple girls with them and said "That's what I want!". I had no idea that my own hair would be pulled out every time I lost a bond. Anyway, live and learn. Thanks so much for all your help!
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 6:50pm
I totally understand, Lisa, and I really didn't mean to trivialize your experience. Believe me, I know how devastating it can be to see what your hair looks like on removal. It's just that by most people's standards, your hair was so beautiful naturally that the loss pictures don't look too bad in comparison. And if you've got bald spots, obviously that's really bad--I just didn't see them because the photos aren't close-ups.

I think this brings up a good point, though. For me, it was devasting to lose so much hair to those methods, but at the same time, I never liked my hair to begin with. It's thin and crappy and will never--no matter how I care for it--look the way I want it to, unless I use wigs, pieces, or extensions. So in a way, it's perhaps not as devastating for me, because I never had good hair to begin with.

Now, in a way, those who do have gorgeous hair--hair that's thick and shiny and can grow very long--have to be especially careful where extensions are concerned, because they may be compromising an already-beautiful head of hair.

Given the photos I've seen now, I'm really thinking that extensions aren't the best option for you. You could wear clip-ons on special occasions, but if your hair is growing nicely now, it should be in good shape relatively soon if you leave it alone. As you know, I'm a real fan of the pinchbraid method, but ultimately anything you put in your hair will put some stress on it--there's no way around that. Would braids or clip-ins cause the kind of damage fusion or hairlocs could potentially cause? Absolutely not, imo. Have I had any damage with braids? None that I know of. But ultimately, the best thing for hair growth is always to leave it alone, without any tension on the strands at all.

Good luck! :)
lisa lisa View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa lisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 6:33pm
Hi Jen, Actually my hair did thin out from the medication, however, the Great Length's extensions were what really ruined it. When those were removed, I had bald spots all over my head about the size of a quarter. And I had to have about 5 " of my hair cut off because it was so thin on the bottom, and continued to be that way even after the trim. Now my hair is even shorter (almost to my shoulders) from the Hairloc's. I have been off the medication for about 9 months and the doctor said it would just be a few weeks to get the medicine out of my system. When you go from having a pony tail that's so thick you can't hardly put a normal size hair rubber band around one time, and then go to being able to wrap that band around 4 or 5 times................well, that my friend is a big difference. I may not have had the extensive damage that other people had, but it was pretty damn devastating to say the least.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 6:01pm
Honestly, Lisa, your hair looks pretty great--even in the "after removal" photo. It looks a little shorter and thinner than the others, of course, but it really doesn't look like you have any damage to me. Maybe I'm missing something, though....

It looks like your hair was just amazing (like hair-model amazing) before you ever had extensions, but if I remember correctly, it thinned due to medication, right? I can certainly understand if you're unhappy with hairlocs and GLs (I was, for many reasons), but it really doesn't look like your hair is damaged from them, unless you haven't included that photo in this bunch.

To put it in perspective, after I had hairlocs, Cinderella, and GLs, I went from having long hair (past my bra strap) to wispy 1 to 3 inch broken hair all over.

If your hair broke under the locs or got ripped out with the bond removal, it would be really short, no?

Perhaps this just needs to be clarified a bit.

:)
lisa lisa View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa lisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 5:37pm
I guess you can always just click on the hyperlink to see the pictures. :-)
lisa lisa View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa lisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 5:35pm
Well................................ doesn't that just figure. Ya know! Kristen posted these for me at the following address:
www.haircandy.net/lisalisa.htm
but I don't have a clue what to do with them now, and I don't want to keep bugging her. HELP! Can somebody please give me instructions from this point. I currently have the pictures saved in my documents under jpg. I would really like to post my pictures................................. :-( okay! so I don't know anything about computers.
LISA LISA View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LISA LISA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 5:00pm
Well, this is a test to see if I can figure out how to post my pictures.
1. picutre w/Hairlocs
2. picture w/Hairlocs
3. picture after GL were taking out
4. picture w/Great Lengths
5. picture of the back of my hair before medication and before I had ever heard of extensions.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic