Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for the Biggest Flocked Hot Rollers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for the Biggest Flocked Hot Rollers
    Posted: March 19 2005 at 5:22am

Thanks, again, SAS. That Behind the Chair site is really cool; I've never seen it before. I'm also wondering about jumbo waving irons--not those little ones that create crimps, but ones with big plates that would create a jumbo wave. Problem is, I wonder if these would need to be flocked or not; either way, I doubt they make those waves as big and loose as I'd like.

Syren: You are rolling with the hair dry, right? If so, and I assume you are, it's probably a heat issue then. And I really doubt you've fried the hair in one day. Sometimes, it feels like you have and then it miraculously comes back to life (very odd, I know).

:)  

Save~A~Stray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Save~A~Stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2005 at 1:39am
Jenny~ I checked the behindthechair.com site but no
responses for the largest velvet hot rollers. I'll keep checking!!

I e-mailed someone who was selling the 12 big velvet rollers in
a set on ebay, but they said they were also 1 3/4". So no luck
there!!

I'll post if I see anything good!!

Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2005 at 1:22am
Yes, I rolled from the bottom up. I left them in about 7 minutes, and they didn't seem as hot as I remember hot rollers getting, which could be a factor. I have an old, old set of velvet covered which have gotten VERY hot in their history so I'll try those too.

Flatiron: I just bought a $10 cheapie but it did actually smooth out the ends once it got hot enough. After that, I tried out an old curling iron with a steam feature to put back the curl in the ends...not. I wonder if there's a lifespan to this hair and I've exceeded it in one day!

After all this abuse, it does feel very silky, although practically straight. Further tests to follow.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2005 at 11:33pm

Yeah, I've noticed a few splits, but not as many as with human hair. I do think it would be beneficial to trim the PH every so often, though.

As far as the waves, did you curl from the bottom up, or the top down? The former, I've found, produces those relatively tight, va-va-voom curls; from the bottom up, it's just a loose wave (and I've had varying levels of success with that, which may have more to do with my rolling technique--or lack therof--than anything else). The biosilk may have something to do with the looseness of the waves, but I'm still surprised the rollers didn't produce more of a curl (that is, if you rolled from the bottom up).

Did you try the flatiron, by the way? I've yet to try that.

Edited to say: And I'm surprised the haar got rough so quickly. I didn't have to contend with any roughness or bunching until the first wash, but it definitely takes some getting used to.

Edited by Jenny_RR
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2005 at 10:53pm
EDIT: This REALLY was supposed to be about large flocked rollers, but it sorta went in a different direction.

I don't mean to beat a dead horse here but I want to report today's findings.

I put a bottom row of PH 28mm Wednesday just to give it a test drive. First day out, the ends got rough and split - it doesn't help that I fiddle with my hair all day, but still...they were fried looking in one day. So I did ALL the experiments today: washed and rinsed with fabric softener, dried with Biosilk and the hairdryer and that did silken the hair and ends up alot, and it also straightened the hair totally. Went to WallyWorld and bought a cheap flatiron (for end maintenance testing) and the Conair Ion hot rollers with the 12 large only - they're 1-1/2". I put in the rollers and they made a beautiful wave! I don't know if it stays in, but it did restore the wave and that's good.
BUT - it certainly isn't the VAVOOM that Fina got and that Jenny reported - it's just a silky wave that brushes out to be, well, wavy, not curly! So this is not what you girls got, then - you got hardcore curls? Hmm. If that's the case, maybe I silkened my hair up with the Biosilk and that kept it from being Coal Miner's Daughter curly, maybe? But I can't imagine using any bigger rollers than these - it would seem that they would put a little bend in the hair!
I don't know. Just wanted to report the results of my experiment.
P.S. Has anyone else noticed the PH splits at the ends...just like real hair? Mine has. No biggie..just an observation.

Edited by Syren123
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 6:54am
Thanks, SAS! That's very sweet. :)
Save~A~Stray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Save~A~Stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 2:38am
Jenny~I looked through the 2 catalogs I have and nothing!!
I posted on another cosmetology board and asked for the industry gals for any info on finding bigger velvet hot rollers than 1 3/4" for synth hair. I'll let you know if I get a response.
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2005 at 9:53pm
LOL....oh what things we do in the name of beauty!
leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2005 at 9:39pm
My friend's mom said she used to wrap her hair around empty frozen orange juice containers, which are probably a little more comfortable than aluminum cans. I think over the years, just about everything imaginable has been done to hair. =)
EmmaSkye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaSkye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2005 at 9:36pm
My neighbor was telling me that in the "good old days" she couldnt find rollers big enough for her hair, it was down past her butt, so she used to use empty tomato sauce cans with both ends cut out and secured them with a bobby pin then she would stretch one of those old hair nets over the whole shebang until it dried. Necessity is the mother of invention..lol..We laughed picturing her walking around with tomato sauce cans on her head until it dried.
SHE human hair blend, 18", #4 with Supertape.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2005 at 6:40pm
Hmm...good idea, Gina. Thanks!
Gina E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gina E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2005 at 6:06pm
Jenn
Try using perm papers(maybe 2) over the spot that youre gonna secure with the bobby pin.
I've got a new puppy!!!
She's a White Boxer
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2005 at 5:55pm
Yup. I've tried velcro rollers in the past, and they've been disasterous. I have no idea how anyone uses those things.

I actually do have a set of huge magnetic rollers (not hot ones). I imagine you just use bobby pins with them? Of course, it would probably take forever for the hair to set with those and the pins might leave crimps. Maybe I'll give 'em a go sometime though.

leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2005 at 5:19pm
I looked on Amazon but didn't see anything bigger than 1 3/4". The only thing I can think of that's bigger is velcro rollers, but I'm already picturing those just getting stuck in your hair and never coming out. (I've had bad experiences with velcro rollers.)
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2005 at 3:46pm
Yup. I'm looking into some of those, but most are only 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 max.

I'm doubting they actually sell any larger ones to the trade, since salons don't use hot rollers anyway.

The search continues....

EmmaSkye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaSkye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2005 at 3:32pm
When I got mine at WallyWorld last night they had a set of just Jumbo sized flocked rollers. I didnt look at what size they were and there was only 12 as opposed to the multisized ones that come with 20 rollers. The price was under $25 if Im not mistaken.
SHE human hair blend, 18", #4 with Supertape.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2005 at 12:13pm
I've been searching high and low (unsuccessfully), but has anyone ever heard of velvet-covered hot rollers larger than 1 3/4 inches in diameter? Maybe some of the licensed girls here have come across them in trade catalogs or something? Ideally, I'd like to find some that are 2 to 3 inches (which is huge, I know).

Thanks! :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic