Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Family + Curls = Big Mess

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
norskygrl21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norskygrl21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Family + Curls = Big Mess
    Posted: April 26 2005 at 1:35pm

I think this is totally ridiculous and ignorant of your parents
(not too mention old-fashioned) but unfortunately this is not the
first time I have heard something along these lines.

When I first met my the women who were to become my
mother-in-law and sister-in-law, my sister-in-law told me that
whenever she wore her hair naturally curly her mother told her
it looked trashy. The problem is, I have naturally curly hair that
is almost identical to the sister's! Imagine how I felt when I
heard this, this woman is looking me over with a fine-tooth
comb so I was nervous enough, but then to find out she detests
curly hair, that was the icing on the cake. What is even worse is
my husband disliked curly hair as well. When we first met the
few times I would wear it naturally curled, he always said it
looked "frizzy or fuzzy." Now he is so used to seeing me go au
natural that I think it has grown on him, although I know he
would still probably prefer me to have stick straight  flatironed
hair (every single one of his exes had the same hair). Some
people just have a thing against curls, I personally don't see
what the big fuss is about.

Edited by norskygrl21

coldsexy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coldsexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2005 at 6:11pm
your parents should not be so angry with you for leaving your hair in its natural form... since you did inherit it from them,
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 7:01pm

Ask them would they preferr u to be bald or have your natural hair? Because, all the methods u are using and the loss of hair can eventually lead to premature baldness. Then ask them, how do they feel about themselve becuase your hair is their hair, basically, they gave it to u. 

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Innamorata594 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Innamorata594 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2005 at 10:54am
wow...thats really crazy... I think that your parents have more of a problem with THEMSELVES then they do with your hair, hence, the psychopathic attitude. Let it go in one ear and out the other. Explain to them that straightening daily will completely ruin your hair from heat damage,
Sara
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2005 at 7:13am
If your hair is long, I definitely recommend putting it up in an updo fastened with a single hairstick. As you pull out of the driveway, you pull out the hairstick...

Put it back up again on your way home.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
wolfsbane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfsbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 11:24pm
Hi there my fellow curly girls!

I came here and joined because my hair, which is naturally soft ringlets, has caused turmoil in my family. This may sounds strange, but I promise it's completely true.

You see, for the longest time - actually for longer than I can remember - I've straightened my hair by every method possible. And lately, it's become both a hastle and threatening to my hair's existence. Aka, I've been losing more and more of it because of the brutalities. Either way, I decided to just let my natural waves fall freely. I even bought a book called Curly Girl (maybe some have heard of it) to help me learn how to handle my curls properly.

This is when sparks flew. Today I didn't straighten my hair as usual. I thought it looked nice, better than straight. So, I went downstairs. My parents were shocked. At first I thought it was something I was wearing when they said, "You are not leaving the house like that!" Then I thought they were joking when they said it was because of my hair. My hair!!

They were dead serious. I didn't straighten it, I hid it in a tight braid. When I came home from work later that evening, I asked my mom very maturely why she didn't agree to my natural hair style. Her reply was that it was trashy. I was shocked. I thought maybe it looked too greasy or something. No, she told me it made me look like I needed to be standing on a street corner.

Then she goes off on a tangent about how my attitude has been so different, when it really hasn't, and how I've changed so much. Oh wait, no... I'm exactly the same. My hair is just in it's natural form. Sorry, Mom, that my genes are formulated for harlotry.

So there you have it, my rant. As far as my mom's concerned... she says that as long as I live under this roof I have to straighten my hair. I'm sorry but I didn't think hair defined the person under it.

And all I ever wanted was to have curls...

- Laura
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic