Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

shortest possible length for a bun

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: shortest possible length for a bun
    Posted: April 24 2005 at 7:39am
I have to have a bun every time I do a ballet exam. Shoulder length is easiest I reckon, mines elbow length and I have to use a ton of hair gel and pins before I'm sure it won't fall down. 
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 4:43pm

Depends on the circumference at the base of the ponytail. The thicker the hair, the longer the hair has to be before you can bun it. I couldnt' bun until I was past BSL.

ETA: also depends on whether the person has layers.

Edited by AnaisSatin
my LJ, 40 inches long
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 2:48pm
Mine won't do a bun until practically bsl.  Unless I use a bun cover to keep all the stick-outs trapped.
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Suers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 2:24pm

Those donut nylon forms are good for shorter hair.  The hair would go through the middle and just have to be long enough to go over the edge of the form and tuck under.  Or I have seen people use hairdini forms. 

The thicker the hair (larger diameter of pony tail), the more hair you need for a classic bun. 

duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 8:33am
No, I didn't see her with a bun. I am just giving this picture as an example. I am simply interested in the shortest length at which a complete bun would be possible.
Grace912 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grace912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 6:47am
I think that a bun would be possible at that length, but only just barely. Did you see her with a bun around this same time? Because in that case it's entirely possible that a hairpiece was involved. Ballet dancers with short hair do that a lot for the stage; they'll slick everything back and then pin on a fake bun.
Monica: Isn't there any way that you could look at this as flattering? I mean, she's doing this to be more like you.
Rachel: Well, then, couldn't she have just copied my haircut?
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 4:47am

I am very curious as to what is about the shortest possible length for hair to be able to put it in a bun. Have a look for example at this picture of Gwyneth Paltrow:

http://www.mencelebs.com/pic/38/3880/10086411.html

Here she has a prime example of a collar-length bob. Would it be possible to put this hair into a bun? Assume that it can be a very little bun, but all the hairs should (theoretically with the help of hairpins) fit into one round knot.

If not, what would be the shortest possible length?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic