Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Driving with wind in hair, not face

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Driving with wind in hair, not face
    Posted: July 19 2005 at 6:50pm
Last summer I witnessed several woman putting their very long hair up into buns, then putting on scarves, and then hats, before riding in a very small convertible.  I believe they enjoyed the ride with its wind-in-the-face experience, and their hair was not tangled at all afterwards.  I will hasten to add that their hats had strings which tied and allowed the hat to remain on their heads despite the winds.  Sometimes scarves, bandanas and hats can come flying off in the wind of cars, or roller-coasters (not that I'd know about that ).  But Katherine makes a good point in that when your hair gets to be really long, it can get terribly tangled if no measures are taken to shield it from the wind of an open-air car or motorcycle.  Even shorter long lengths (just past shoulder-length) can tangle badly, but basically, the longer it gets, the more difficult it can be to remove tangles caused in these ways.  It's why those who have very long hair generally don't wear their hair loose in convertibles.
ACCOLADY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACCOLADY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2005 at 12:27pm

Oh, my, Mr. Bouf, I just noticed her hair was shoulder length.

Scratch my idea for wrapping hair around her head, a nice scarf to protect the hair, a hat with a tie, and off you go! The scarf will keep the hair from flying all over, as well as protect the hair from the hat, especially if it is made of straw or has a basket weave. Ouch!

Birds of a feather flock together & then crap on your car.

If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.

Member since 2000, not reg. until 2005
ACCOLADY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACCOLADY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2005 at 12:25pm

Hello all,

mom2kaymae, according to your signature, your hair is at bra strap length. While I do not know exactly how long eKatherine's hair is, her signature photo clearly shows what I assume is longer than waist length. Once your hair is of such lengths, 'slapping on a hat' is easier said than done.

"Good god, just put on a hat" would be quite easy for those with shorter hair, but hair is dealt with in an entirely different manner when longer lengths are reached. Even a bun produces what I consider a significant 'wad' of hair, if you will, and is not easy to cover with a hat.

Mr. Bouf, I feel your pain. In all the years I've been growing my hair, I've often felt dislike for the hair-in-the-car situation. As I've grown older, I wish I'd covered my hair and enjoyed the breeze.

If she doesn't mind the look of confined hair, there are a few ways to cover her tresses and enjoy the drive, if she is willing to sacrifice appearance for a bit. I remember when I was younger, appearance came before honest comfort and enjoyment.

My previous vehicle was a convertible, so I could easily take off the top and enjoy the breeze with just a bit of effort.

Once your (her) hair is combed out, begin twisting it at the back as if you were going to make a pony or a bun, then wrap the hair around her head (like a crown sitting vertically) until you run out of hair. A bandana will stay on quite securely when your hair is wrapped this way. If she will not hear of a bandana, perhaps you can purchase a scarf for her that is long and wide enough to cover her hair.

I could easily be talked into such a drive if later on that evening it held promise of a shower, a more 'prepared' hairstyle and dinner.

Best of luck. Karen Marie

Birds of a feather flock together & then crap on your car.

If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.

Member since 2000, not reg. until 2005
mom2kaymae View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mom2kaymae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2005 at 10:19am

Originally posted by eKatherine eKatherine wrote:

I guess I've got more hair than you, then.

Who knows!!! but my hairs is pretty thick I would say

BSL and growing
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2005 at 9:48am
I guess I've got more hair than you, then.

Edited by eKatherine

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mom2kaymae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2005 at 8:22am

The bun protects without the hat. The hat itself does nothing, especially because it won't sit on a bun properly.

I had no problem putting my bun into a sun hat.  

BSL and growing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2005 at 11:03pm
The bun protects without the hat. The hat itself does nothing, especially because it won't sit on a bun properly.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mom2kaymae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2005 at 10:13pm

Originally posted by mom2kaymae mom2kaymae wrote:

Good god, just put on a hat

How will wearing a hat protect my hair from tangling in the wind?

One must wear a bun first and then the hat.   Tada
BSL and growing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2005 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by mom2kaymae mom2kaymae wrote:

How will wearing a hat protect my hair from tangling in the wind?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mom2kaymae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2005 at 1:18pm
BSL and growing
chgurlsng View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chgurlsng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 1:39pm
I tie my hair in a pony tail and then put a lose hat or scarf over it.  The scarf works w/ out the pony tail, too if she doesn't want her hair all creased in the back.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2005 at 6:46pm
Either I drive with the windows shut, or I have my hair up. Last summer I drove for 1/2 hour with the windows open and ended up REMOVING A KNOT!!! Never again.

LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2005 at 4:09pm
I love open windows! Braiding your hair back from your face would work I imagine and you can leave some loose at the back if you want the sensation of whipping hair without it getting painful. 
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2005 at 9:54am
Car wind tangles the heck out of my hair, I hate it. Only a good, tight ponytail or bun will do. I prefer to keep everything shut though.
[/url]

sarondie11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarondie11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2005 at 10:14pm
I'm pretty sure even if a person with long hair ties it back it's still going to get whipped around her face. Personally, I find a windy car ride to be fun and refreshing. The issue become the tangles after the car ride is over! One possibility is to braid it first.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2005 at 8:45pm
Welcome, Mr. Bouf,

I hear ya...

AnaisSatin has several good suggestions.

The only way to ensure that her hair (no matter what its length) flows behind her is to stick her head out the window.  Fun for a few moments, painful after more...

You also enjoy her long hair and the way it moves when in your convertible.

It's difficult (if not impossible) to convince someone with long(er) hair to enjoy the process of having their hair whipped around in their face, when in a car with open windows (or that is a convertible).

My suggestion is to focus your appreciation onto other aspects of her hair other than the way it flies about when her hair is in motion from the ride in your convertibe.  I'll let your imagination be your guide.

AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2005 at 6:49pm
um... She can tie her hair back? Get her a snood or hat? I can't think of anything related to physics, really.
my LJ, 40 inches long
mrbouf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrbouf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2005 at 6:06pm

My Girl friend has >shoulder length hair,

Summer is coming and that is when we get into "discussions." I love driving (Dodge Neon w/sunroof) with the windows down, and she doesn't because her hair flies all around her face.

Has anyone come up with solutions or tips on how set up the seats, windows, or sunroof that would make her hair flow out behind her and not hit her face?

Then she could enjoy the wind in her hair as much as I do.

(assuming no cross winds) etc.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic