Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Long Hair- Should It Take So Much Work?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
norskygrl21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norskygrl21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long Hair- Should It Take So Much Work?
    Posted: May 14 2005 at 11:57am
Just wanted to thank everyone for their input I can be
honest with myself and admit my hair would be able to grow
much longer if I would stop coloring it. Unfortunately, I like
being blonde too much, so I guess I will have to choose
medium/long golden blonde hair over super long light brown
hair. Maybe someday I will be able to phase the coloring
out......I am still shooting for my BSL goal though, I think that is
doable with the right care. I am so glad this board brought up
the necessity of clarifying. I have been doing this with a
shampoo for color-treated hair once a week and my locks feel
like silk now, I didn't even realize how the build-up from cones
can actually dull hair. Thanks all!!
2C-Fine-Normal, 23 inches wavy Base of ponytail circumference: 4 inches
Goal: BSL, Approximately 2 to 3 inches from current length
laststar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laststar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2005 at 6:49pm
I think its worth a little more care,  long hair is just so amazing and beautiful.  When it is waist lenght it will be too cool.
Katja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 5:58pm

WOW Anais.  Just... wow.  Your hair grew so much (and looks so much healthier) in such a short period of time!

Haha I love the sig ticker too.  Got the idea from your site

"If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative."
-Woody Allen
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2005 at 8:38pm

Katja, the first photo was in early September. The second was Beltaine, or April 30 this year. Thank you so much ::flowersflowers::

Supersugar, the sock curling technique is under the Hair Journals subforum. I usually tie my hair up with socks when the hair is JUST barely dry, or when the hair is dry enough to not stick together anymore. Then I go to bed with socks by each ear  I wake up the next morning in hopes that the hair will not be damp.

Love those sig tickers, ladies  

Anais

edited to add the word "the"

Edited by AnaisSatin
my LJ, 40 inches long
Supersugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Supersugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2005 at 7:17pm
Anais, what is sock-curling?  And how long should your hair hang for it to be effective?
Make every day you have count, before the time comes for you to count every day you have.
Katja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2005 at 3:27pm

It does seem that some people can just shampoo & condition their hair regularly and have long, beautiful hair.  In fact, I used to be one of them.  But those people are few and far between.  And while I think excessive hair care routines and being anal about every little ingredient that goes into your hair aren't the best ideas, I think at least being concerned and conscious about the way you take care of it is very important. 

Since I joined this site and learned different hair care tips and routines, my hair's grown a whole inch and is so much healthier than it was two months ago.  So I think that even though it does become frustrating and very tedious, it pays off in the end.  And if you take good care of it now, it will still be in great shape when it reaches the long length you want.

Anais, your hair looks great!  Second-day hair is the best.  How much time passed between the first and second picture?

"If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative."
-Woody Allen
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2005 at 7:03am
I too got my hair almost to my waist once, but it was very thin on about the last foot of it, and I had a lot of split ends in it (I dyed it and over coned without ever clarifying).  I really wanted it long and didn't want to cut it even though I knew it didn't look that great, but, as said above, by then it was really too late to do anything about the last foot of it. 

I do feel certain things that I didn't know about before are very important (regular trims, dusting splits, and clarifying), but I'm no longer very religious about when I do these things.  I do them when I have the time and the desire, and I have much better hair now than I did before. This time I know I'll make it to my goal (which is to my knees - much older hair than I've ever had before) with really nice hair.  So, to that extent, all the stuff we do is important, but obsessing over it isn't going to do anyone any good.  Now I actually enjoy reading about and doing all this stuff.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2005 at 8:43pm

Norsky, I think you're on to something.

Most people overdo it with hair care. However, the longer a person goes through the process of experimentation and research, the less a person is likely to have a complicated hair routine. Ideally, a person would end up pruning their routines down to only what they actually need to do. I've cut down on a lot more than I expected. It probably takes at least 6 months for the paranoia and craze to go away, give or take, depending on a person's emotional security. I think various ingredients are intimidating to the newer folk, before they find out that many of these creatures are friendly. Once they find out the creatures are friendly, they can pick and choose whatever they want. Healthy long hair runs along three different concepts: (1) go heat-free/color-free/perm-free (2) choose gentle hair toys and grooming tools (3) minimize friction by wearing "contained" hair styles such as braids and buns (at least most of the time)

Here are some more things to think about:

It doesn't hurt to know. Everybody goes through the same process of research and detailage that longhairs do, but with other subjects. Some people learn a dead language, while others are into Star Wars trivia, or medical transcription terminology (look who's talking). Longhairs choose to arm themselves with information on sulfates, etc.. because after all, this is the stuff we're putting in our hair. (On ourselves. We're constantly exposing ourselves to chemicals, and few people care what these chemicals are. Think of it as nutritional or health study. Just like it wouldn't be a good idea to risk being uninformed about reproductive health, for some people it isn't a good idea to be uninformed about hair health.) 

The research and info also becomes second nature. I don't even think about clarifying, silicones, etc.. anymore, it just happens. Just another step in the wash. It becomes very natural, very part of you, in a Sartre-like way. Like when women look in a full closet and say, "I have nothing to wear!"

Post-growth realization and regret: Most people with "reasonably long" hair (a.k.a. between shoulder and bra strap) don't really see the need in research and uber-care.. but by the time hair reaches their bum, it will be ... oh... six, seven years old. Some people don't even keep clothes for that long. And it could possibly dawn on the person that they should have taken better care of it. In the long run, mis-handling makes a big difference. e.g. Too many people damage their hair while not realizing the purpose of clarifying. My hair was NOT soft and did NOT shine until I began clarifying. Mineral deposits from California water was the worst thing to happen to my hair (and skin). I think you'll find that most proof is testimonial. But you took the best route-- asking people who have longhair dreams.

Concerning time and hard work: I'm one of those people who tell themselves "If you do it, do it right the first time". So if I'm growing my hair to tailbone (short term goal) and then mid-thigh (long term goal), I sure-as-hell better do it right. Proper care is also the fastest way to get long hair because little damage is produced, therefore little damage has to be cut off.

Long hair definitely takes a change in care, even though it can be LESS work. (Does that make sense?) I think most people would be surprised at how much less.

Frankly I don't think I'd be where I am if I used Pert Plus, didn't clarify, or change my routine. Using Pert Plus (a sulfate), I ended up washing every day. (This is also more work, at least in my experience) Now, with CO washing and no shampoo, hairwashing is only once a week. Although my showering frequency hasn't changed, I've saved six 10-minute hairwashes during the week.It saves exposing the hair to more "wash-handling" than is truly necessary. A lot of damage occurs while the hair is wet.

That's also an extra hour a week to do whatever I want. I've been unusually productive this year. An hour a week has brought me time to write.

Anyway, here's the before-and-after. Both are second-day hair. The second shot is second-day hair after a CO wash and sock curling.

Hope this helps you.  These are good questions. I'm adding to my website.

Anais

Edited by AnaisSatin
my LJ, 40 inches long
Viktoria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2005 at 6:49pm

Most of us, I belive, will not get really long, really great-looking hair without some extra care. After all, a long mane requires what it requires, depending on the quality of hair that you have. And, if you take pride in your hair, want it long and have the persistance to grow it, it should be natural to pamper it, and pamper yourself. I mean, there are a lot of things we don´t really need, like make up and nail polish, and men don´t really need to shave, but we do, because that is how we like to take care of ourselves.

However, I have definately had periods when I have been slightly too obsessive, mostly while waiting for a certain length. Doing nice things for myself takes focus off the frustration of not having it as long as I wish it to be, right now.

And I agree with Char - if you abuse your hair and think length equals fine-looking, chances are it might not look as great as you think. Great-looking is never (or almost never) a free ride.  

eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2005 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by norskygrl21 norskygrl21 wrote:

I have a few questions and comments. Bear with me Prior to discovering this forum, I always assumed growing long hair was a rather simple achievement/goal as long as you had regular trims, didn't fry it with chemical services and had hair that had the potential to grow long in the first place (aside from those  people who just cannot grow long hair due to medical conditions, certain medications, or naturally very thin or thinning hair) However, after finding this board and educating myself on the "art" of long hair, I now realize there is much more involved-or is there?

People are talking about silicones, sulfates, proteins, etc.; the need for clarifying rinses; the dangers lurking in store bought brushes/combs.

There's a lot you can know, or you can just hope you get lucky.

Quote Are these tips referring to those of us with delicate/colored hair to begin with? There are people everywhere, in all walks of life that do not give their long hair a second thought (and some in fact, abuse their hair on a regular basis) and yet they still possess the ability to have hair to their ass.

But there are more people who can't achieve healthy or even marginally long hair, due to their abuse of it.

Quote Do the people on this board that take such extreme care of their hair TRULY feel they got there because of all the special treatments, or would they have long hair regardless, even if they did color, hair-dry, curl, use plastic combs bought at CVS? Would love to hear some opinions on this.

I know my hair was stuck at waist-length for years. When the ends got ratty I would get a trim, but they'd just get ratty again, rather than growing long. But I knew I'd previously had hair almost to my knees, back when I always wore it braided, I just didn't know why I wasn't managing to get it this time. There's no question that changing everything about how I care for my hair has made all the difference in its appearance and growth.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
chgurlsng View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chgurlsng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2005 at 5:05pm
I have had my hair down to my bottom about three times in my life.  I never treated it any different and thought that it looked fine.  After remembering and looking at old photos, it was thin and brittle even up to the shoulder area.  I thought that it grew normally and looked OK, but it didn't look as good as it could have.
Hair will grow if you let it.  I just think that it can look it's healthiest and most vibrant when it is taken care of.
I have noticed a big difference in my hair and also you can look at Anais's web site if you really want a look at what taking wonderful care of your hair can do.  :)

-Char

norskygrl21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norskygrl21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2005 at 1:21pm

I have a few questions and comments. Bear with me Prior to discovering this forum, I always assumed growing long hair was a rather simple achievement/goal as long as you had regular trims, didn't fry it with chemical services and had hair that had the potential to grow long in the first place (aside from those  people who just cannot grow long hair due to medical conditions, certain medications, or naturally very thin or thinning hair) However, after finding this board and educating myself on the "art" of long hair, I now realize there is much more involved-or is there?

People are talking about silicones, sulfates, proteins, etc.; the need for clarifying rinses; the dangers lurking in store bought brushes/combs. Are these tips referring to those of us with delicate/colored hair to begin with? There are people everywhere, in all walks of life that do not give their long hair a second thought (and some in fact, abuse their hair on a regular basis) and yet they still possess the ability to have hair to their ass.  Do the people on this board that take such extreme care of their hair TRULY feel they got there because of all the special treatments, or would they have long hair regardless, even if they did color, hair-dry, curl, use plastic combs bought at CVS? Would love to hear some opinions on this.

Edited by norskygrl21
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic