Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

trims and rate of hair growth

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: trims and rate of hair growth
    Posted: May 15 2005 at 7:26am
You have several choices.
  1. You can let it grow until the longest layer reaches your desired length, then trim 1/2" per month. It will eventually be all one length.

2. You can trim 1/2" per month until your layers are grown out and your ends are even, then grow your length.

3. You can trim less often until you reach BSL, like every other month, so you'll still be getting longer.

It's going to take the same amount of time to get there whichever way you do it.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
Sunflower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunflower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2005 at 2:15am

Hey, I have been trying to have my hair grow longer, but during every trip to my next hair trim, I will always live with regrets.

As I have thick hair, hair stylist love to layer my hair. I used to have hair almost reaching my shoulder blade and during the recent (End April 2005) trim, it is now at my shoulder level and it is very badly styled.

I want to grow my hair to go beyond the bra strip...so that makes wearing bear-back evening gown with a cover, without throwing over a shawl for my imperfect back..

Now I am thinking should I stop triming it till I achieve the hair length that I want or I should still go back for regular trim...but of course not to return to the former salon.

Sunflower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunflower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2005 at 2:06am
Originally posted by buckiefairy buckiefairy wrote:

Hey! My hair is just past BSL and I havnt cut it for about a year now, but it seems to have stopped growing! I do straighten it almost every morning, although i hate doing it as I know the damage it can cause. I use protection spray etc but it doesn't stop all breakage, it would be a mirical if there was something that did!

Anyways, I was wondering what effect regular trims have on the rate of hair growth. I always thought that cutting the ends wouldn't hav any effect on how quickly your hair grows but loads of people have told me otherwise. Does it just mean that the hair doesn't split as far up? Also, I don't eat any meat other than chicken so should I take protien supplements or something? Help please, I'm so confused!

Thanks in advance

GoldieLocks92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldieLocks92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 9:43pm
I, personally, have found that trimming my hair has done absoloutly nothing for me. I last had a real trim (a 1-2 incher!) about a year ago if not longer and I had no split ends, nor have I had any since (thought I occasionally "dust" my hair).
As for your diet, I am a complete vegetarian so I faced the same problem. As Katja said, eggs and other meat subs. are fine. I take a multivitamine as well.
Hair is BSL+ as of 9/15/05
Katja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 5:40pm

I don't think you need protein supplements, especially if you still eat chicken.  Eggs, beans, and most meat substitutes have loads of protein if you feel you aren't getting enough.  But most people get the recommended amount of daily protein without even trying, so you're probably okay there.

Do you take a multi-vitamin?  Because that will do wonders for your hair's condition and growth rate. 

I would say if it's been a year since your last haircut that you should get a trim, but if you're afraid of a stylist taking off much more than you want (which you probably are if your hair is that long), I'd suggest trimming it yourself using either Feye's method or search & destroy. 

While I don't believe that regular trims make hair grow faster, I do believe that less damage does.   So I would let up on the straightening at least a little.

Good luck! 

"If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative."
-Woody Allen
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 4:05pm
Quote Anyways, I was wondering what effect regular trims have on the rate of hair growth. I always thought that cutting the ends wouldn't hav any effect on how quickly your hair grows but loads of people have told me otherwise. Does it just mean that the hair doesn't split as far up? Also, I don't eat any meat other than chicken so should I take protien supplements or something? Help please, I'm so confused!

The people who say that cutting your hair changes its growth rate are wrong. Cutting your hair makes it shorter. Period.

Unless you have damage that "travels" up the hair shaft, or causes massive tangling, trimming won't prevent damage.

The issue for you is that you're probably continually creating new damage with your hair care routine, which will prevent your hair from growing as long as you might like it to.

You can deal with this issue now, or you can wait to grow your hair longer after straight hair becomes unfashionable again.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
buckiefairy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckiefairy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 3:32pm

Hey! My hair is just past BSL and I havnt cut it for about a year now, but it seems to have stopped growing! I do straighten it almost every morning, although i hate doing it as I know the damage it can cause. I use protection spray etc but it doesn't stop all breakage, it would be a mirical if there was something that did!

Anyways, I was wondering what effect regular trims have on the rate of hair growth. I always thought that cutting the ends wouldn't hav any effect on how quickly your hair grows but loads of people have told me otherwise. Does it just mean that the hair doesn't split as far up? Also, I don't eat any meat other than chicken so should I take protien supplements or something? Help please, I'm so confused!

Thanks in advance

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic