Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Loose Hair vs. Not Loose Styles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
misterhappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote misterhappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loose Hair vs. Not Loose Styles
    Posted: May 23 2005 at 10:04am
In my professional life I keep a slicked back ponytail.  When I need to look vaguely civilized, I pull the top half back into a ponytail, and leave the back loose.  Left to my own devices, I leave it loose and run around with my shirt off, since I have waited 40 years to be able to feel my hair against my neck/shoulders/back. 

The reason for restraining my hair is that when my hair is loose, my kids call me fro-boy, and once when I ran into a client when I was 'off-duty,' he later said he didn't recognize me because of the 'Q-tip look.'

Since my hair is very curly, I only get about 3 inches in length for every 5 inches of growth.  As it gets longer, I'm hoping it will settle a bit, so it won't "fro" and I can wear it looser more often.

Mr. H

Edited by misterhappy
Katja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2005 at 3:04pm

I love love LOVE to wear my hair down, because of the way it looks and feels.   But I make myself wear it in "contained" styles (ie braids and buns) most of the time because like Dave said, it's more susceptible to damage when it's down.  Also, if I wear it up everyday for, say, two weeks, it takes my mind off of growing it out and the next time I wear it down I'm pleasantly surprised by how long it looks 

Another thing- if you wear it up and try different styles, you'll never suffer from hair boredom which, as we all know, can lead to cutting tons off and instantly regretting it

"If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative."
-Woody Allen
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 8:56pm
Depends on your definition of "better."

IMO long hair is more fun and generally more alluring when it's down.  Long hair worn up can be elegant/formal, and/or utilitarian.

When it's worn down, it is more prone to tangling and getting caught on things, which can be damaging.  If it's worn up in a way that doesn't stress the scalp (such as my usual daily braid), it is fairly-well protected and easy on the scalp.  Last time I wore my hair in a ponytail was when it was "classic" length and I would occasionally get headaches due to the tension at the forehead hairline.  Braiding it (or wearing it loose) eliminated the headaches.  But my scalp was perfectly happy with waist-length hair in a ponytail...

(Viktoria - cool new signature photo )
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 7:41am
My hair gets really knotty if I leave it down (especially if I don't heavily 'cone).  Some styles will pull and bug me, but I often find it has to do with the positioning of the bobby pins, so if I move them around when they bug me that fixes it.  Otherwise positioning my hair in the back lower half of my head, or on the side like Viktoria said is usually comfortable.   I think your hair accessories have to be hair safe, or they will do more damage than it getting knotty will.  
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Viktoria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2005 at 6:14pm

Good topic.

I find that a ponytail is out of the question, because it gets caught in my clothes and pulls at my scalp. Won´t do that. A braid is better, but not at the back, rather behind one ear, so that it stays on my chest rather than on my back. More comfortable. And as it is longer now, I have to take care to bun it more loosely, to "spread my bun out" over my head, or it will feel to heavy. And wearing it loose works better now that it is longer, anyhow much better than a ponytail, which is murder! I am truly amazed at anyone who can wear longer than BSL in a ponytail...

The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.
strawberryfine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strawberryfine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2005 at 4:51pm

Hey Everyone!

I'm just curious about your opinions.

Do you think it is better for your hair to wear it up, baretted, braided, ponytailed, any other type of hair containment,

OR

is it better to just let it hang free?

I wonder because some of the guys have gorgeous long hair and I suspect it is down more often.  Correct me if I am wrong.

Does anyone else get a sore scalp from wearing your hair up, etc.?

Just curious.

Thanks!

strawberryfine
2aFii
12/25.5"/terminal length after reaching "small of my back length"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic