Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Home made conditioner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Home made conditioner
    Posted: May 30 2005 at 11:51pm

I've mixed shea and jojoba, whipped it up, added EOs. I was going to call it Jehovah's Sheajoba but...

my LJ, 40 inches long
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2005 at 3:35pm
ahhh...yes mine is unrefined.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2005 at 6:45am
Thanks!  Yeah, I found I couldn't use much of my mixture, I had to use it like straight jojoba with only a very little.  I guess if you got yours creamy you may have unrefined shea butter.  I got the ultrarefined and I can't get it creamy even with an electric mixer. It still seems to work for my hair though, its just nasty looking in the jar 
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2005 at 12:21am

I used like 1 cup of shea butter

1/2 teaspoon of jojoba cos it makes my hair oily ( i just used it to make the shea butter more creamy)

like 2 drops of lavender

my mixture is creamy

Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2005 at 6:46am
Hey Renee!  I tried that yesterday mixing the jojoba and shea butter (with a drop of lavender for scent).  What I got is a pretty nasty looking mixture (lots of jojoba, little shea, so I've basically got a cloudy oil with chunks of shea in it).  It did work pretty well though if I went for one of the oily pieces of shea butter and put it in my hair.  I think it made it feel better and softer than the jojoba alone usually does.  How do you mix yours?  Do you use a lot of shea butter, or a little?

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2005 at 10:36am

Those are some links that have lots of different homemade recipes that you might want to check out.

You are welcome!

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2005 at 10:36am
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

deeanne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deeanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2005 at 10:25am
Cool, thanks!!!
Deeanne --************If this is what over the hill is like, , I wish I'd started out here...
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2005 at 10:24am

Here is a site full of recipes... http://www.healthrecipes.com/hair_styles.htm

Fruit Smoothie Hair Mask
Blend 1/2 a banana, 1/4 avocado, 1/4 cantaloupe, 1 tablespoon wheat germ oil and 1 tablespoon yogurt. For extra conditioning, squeeze in the contents of a vitamin E capsule. Leave in hair for 15 minutes.

Honey & Olive Oil Hair Mask
Mix 1/2 cup honey and 3 tablespoons olive oil. Work a small amount at a time through hair until coated. Cover hair with a shower cap; leave on 30 minutes. Shampoo well and rinse. 

Dandruff Treatment

Boil 7 heaping tablespoons dried thyme in 2 cups water for 10 minutes. Strain and cool. Pour 1/2 mixture over clean, damp hair. Massage into scalp, do not rinse. Use the rest of the solution another day.

Yogurt Hair Mask

Beat 1 egg white until foamy. Add to 6 tablespoons plain natural yogurt. Apply to hair in small sections at a time. Leave in for 15 minutes. Rinse.

Egg & Olive Oil Hair Mask

Mix two whole eggs with four tablespoons of olive oil. Smooth through hair. Wrap head with plastic wrap, and leave in hair for 10 minutes. Rinse well.

Conditioners
creativehomemaking

~ Mayonnaise is a great conditioner for dry hair.  Depending on the length of your hair, apply approximately 1/2 cup of mayonnaise to your dry hair. Work into hair really well and then cover your hair with a plastic bag, allowing to set for about 15 minutes. Rinse thoroughly and then shampoo as usual.

~ In a blender or food processor, combine 2 1/2 tablespoons dried milk, 1 tablespoon wheat germ oil, and 1 egg. Apply evenly to hair and let set for at least an hour. Shampoo and style as usual.

Hair Setting Lotions
creativehomemaking

~ Try dissolving a teaspoon of gelatin in a cup of warm water and use this as a setting lotion before styling hair. You can use this as a liquid or chill it and use it as a gel.

~ Dissolve 1 teaspoon sugar in 1 cup warm water and apply to damp hair before styling.

~ Combine 4 tablespoons olive oil and 2 tablespoons honey in a glass jar with a lid and shake until well blended. Let mixture sit for 3 to 4 days, and shake it occasionally. Rub mixture evenly into dry hair and wrap hair in plastic wrap, letting set for at least an hour. Shampoo as usual.

~ Mix together 2 tablespoons vegetable oil and 1 egg.  Apply to hair and let set for about an hour.  Shampoo as usual.

~ To help a flaky scalp, warm 2 to 3 tablespoons vegetable oil in the microwave (make sure it’s not too hot!) and then gently apply to scalp with cotton balls.  Let set for at least an hour and then shampoo as usual.

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2005 at 8:40am
i mixed some shea butter with jojoba oil and it made my ends so soft. i just pat it on my ends every day. I use it on dry hair.....sorry i dont have any recipes
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2005 at 7:32am
I don't have any yet, but I just got interested in this topic too.  I just bought some refined shea butter last week and I was thinking about mixing it with jojoba to see what kind of leave in it made.  I haven't gotten around to trying it yet, but when I do I'll let you know if it works.
(I've made a skin cream with the shea butter and some grapeseed oil, but it came out WAY thick so I'm probably going to have to mess with it for awhile to get something good)

deeanne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deeanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2005 at 7:35am

I am making improvements in how I care for my (slow growing lovely graying) hair, using all the advise I find on this board -- fits my needs better than the advise from my hair stylist (who wants me to cut and color, frequently). 

Anyway, I am learning to make soap and from what I read here, many of the ingredients for conditioner are also used in soap making (Olive Oil, Shea Butter, Coconut Oil, etc.)

Does anyone have recipes for homemade conditioner?  I'd love to use homemade stuff rather than storebout...

Deeanne --************If this is what over the hill is like, , I wish I'd started out here...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic