Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Biotin Shampoo???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kristine391 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristine391 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Biotin Shampoo???
    Posted: June 18 2005 at 8:04pm
Hi AmberJune,

Thanks - I think your hair is very pretty!  My hair was stick straight and became wavy/curly after using the vitamins/amino's/oils, the Revivogen shampoo (I noticed a definite difference in hair loss when I didn't use it), and stopped using heat appliances.  I now only wash my hair every 2-3 days.  It doesn't become oily anymore because it did adjust, it just took a month or so.

I wish I could tell you about the Biotin shampoo, but I do agree that taking a Biotin supplement may help more.  VitaTress has DHT inhibitors which is more of the reason for why they say it's for thinning hair.  Reading the bottle (I've had it for awhile), it says it has Jojoba, which is excellent for your scalp/hair, as are many of the ingredients.  I just remember it leaving my hair really dry and fly-away, but that was my experience.  There are so many shampoos out there that have DHT inhibitors, amino acids, Jojoba Oil (Hair Energizer Products are one of the best, IMHO) and biotin.  It's what works for your hair. 

I have to agree that many shampoos that swell the hair shaft may ultimately cause breakage (it happened to me).  I had the hair you could do NOTHING with...example:  I would wash it in the a.m., it would be air dried in 15 minutes (it was so thin), then I would use a curling iron on it, although there was not much there to even work with.  You really do have pretty hair - very shiny.  I still think eliminating heat damage and treating it very gently, while taking the appropriate supplements (I agree with everyone here) and eating really well (good sources of protein, deep green veggies/colorful veggies, fish/eggs, etc.) and eliminating stress may help.  I don't see that you have any problem with your hair at all, but just want more body and bounce (although I do have to say it again, I think your hair is really pretty).  I find patience is the key - it's hard to give up that blow dryer and curling iron, but my hair responded very well after a time.  And like you said, a good conditioner that doesn't weigh hair down (Sebastian's Slinky works the best for me for daily conditioning).

Take care!

Kris
AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2005 at 7:22pm

Kris,

My hair is EXTREMELY thin.  When I pull it up in a pony tail its probably only 1/2 thick.  Your hair doesn't look thin!  Its quite beautiful!  The problem with my hair is that I have no curl to it at all.  Its very straight...and if I let it air dry it flips weird ways... and it just looks flat and like I didn't brush it or something.  I'm not really sure what to do.  I HAVE to blow dry....or it will be soo sooo flat.

I was wonder if I still used the Biotin shampoo ...as long as I used a good conditioner if it would still make my hair dry.  I like loreal mega moisture.  It smells so good...but it does have cones in it.

So the revivogen helped your hair grow a little bit? What were your results...        &n bsp; Or would you just say your hair got better from overall better hair cair.  I really need my blow dryer...and I straighten it to make it look shiny.  ...hair is so frusterating!

*AmberJune* http://twitter.com/AmberJune01

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristine391 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2005 at 3:06pm
I buy my Revivogen at www.onlyhairloss.com, but calling the phone number gets the order right out (1-888-849-8686) - I also buy the Viviscal tablets there.

I will say that I had such fine, thin hair (although it's still fine) that you could see my scalp (obviously, you don't have that prob. )  That's why I started exploring a lot of different options on hair growth and breakage, loss, etc. 

It took me years to see improvements, and I really have to ensure I don't use heat appliances on my hair often (I will use them 2-4x a month or on special occasions only).  I also use scrunchies to put my hair up after my hair dries to damp after washing (which takes appx. 2 hrs. ) and it seems to add more volume when taken down, and I don't experience any breakage because the scrunchies are fabric coated and very soft, not pulling my hair at all.

I know you didn't ask all of the above, but I think that shampoo is just a little part of the healthy growth process. :)

About the deep conditioner - exactly!  I meant to mention that.  Since I've been using a deep conditioner 3-4 times weekly, it helps immensely.  I do use the shampoo diluted (Dave suggested on another thread), and will sometimes use conditioner (tea tree) as a shampoo, as has been suggested here (the conditioner as shampoo treatment).

I know that at Sally's Beauty Supply you can get protein pak conditioner treatments that help tremendously - I use Loreal's after color treatment (Feria).  Again, these are just my own experiences.

Kris

Edited by Kristine391
AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2005 at 2:56pm

Originally posted by Kristine391 Kristine391 wrote:

Hi,

I used the Biotin shampoo (green bottle), and it dried my hair out quite a bit.  That being said, everyone responds differently to shampoos.

The only one that really works for me (no broken hairs, very few falling hairs) is Revivogen, and I've tried a lot.  I also agree that supplementation is most of the equation.  I use HairTopia, Viviscal, Lecithin, fish oils and evening primrose oil. 

Kris

Thanks for your reply ....Where did you get revivogen?

You know now that i think of it...it does seem like it could dry hair out...but i've only used it twice. Do you think I'd be ok if I used to a deep conditioner...or do you think the shampoo is just bad news?  Oh...and I only use it on my scalp.... I don't use it on the bottom part of my hair.

Edited by AmberJune

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristine391 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2005 at 2:23pm
Hi,

I used the Biotin shampoo (green bottle), and it dried my hair out quite a bit.  That being said, everyone responds differently to shampoos.

The only one that really works for me (no broken hairs, very few falling hairs) is Revivogen, and I've tried a lot.  I also agree that supplementation is most of the equation.  I use HairTopia, Viviscal, Lecithin, fish oils and evening primrose oil. 

Kris
laststar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laststar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2005 at 12:28pm
Cool Amber June where did you get it I would like to try it too.

Thanks Star
AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2005 at 12:19pm
Well, I went ahead and bought the biotin shampoo. It says it for thinning fragile hair.  I like it. It has jojoba in it ...no cones.  Its nice

Edited by AmberJune
AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2005 at 2:31pm

Thanks for the replys....much appreciated!!! 

Miss talking to ya Becky!!

Edited by AmberJune
rrobey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrobey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2005 at 1:21pm

Hey Amber!  It's been a while since we've talked.  How are things going?

I think I would stay away from the amplify shampoo.  If I remember correctly I read a long time ago that shampoos like that contain an ingredient that makes the hair shaft swell up thus making it "thicker".  After time that does damage to your hair. 

Good Luck!

Becky

eatgreenjello View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eatgreenjello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2005 at 10:24am

hey AmberJune what's up!

FYI, Matrix is owned by L'Oreal.  About their Amplify Volumizing Shampoo, it contains sodium lauryl sulfate which is an irritating and drying ingredient for the scalp.  Since you have fragile and thinning hair, you may want to stay away from products with sodium lauryl sulfate and look for the gentler ingredient sodium laureth sulfate.

**Hair type: 2a, which is wavy and fine.
**Color: Naturally dark brown, currently dyed reddish brown.
**Length: below shoulder length
AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2005 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by DaveDecker DaveDecker wrote:

Sorry AmberJune, I haven't tried the product.  I do agree with the general statement that Anais made -- I believe in supplementing my diet with stuff that's good for the hair (and health, overall).

Do you use the shampoo straight from the bottle, or do you dilute it with water before applying it to your scalp?  (inquiring minds want to know  )

I have never diluted my shampoo...I think I've always been afraid that it won't clean it as well.  My hair gets super oily if I don't wash it EVERY morning.

DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2005 at 12:12pm

Sorry AmberJune, I haven't tried the product.  I do agree with the general statement that Anais made -- I believe in supplementing my diet with stuff that's good for the hair (and health, overall).

Do you use the shampoo straight from the bottle, or do you dilute it with water before applying it to your scalp?  (inquiring minds want to know  )

AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2005 at 9:18pm
No one has any ideas?
AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2005 at 2:51pm

Well, I do take 2500 mcg of Biotin a day...plus, a multi vitamin.

What about the matrix amplify for volume on thin, fine hair?

Edited by AmberJune
Katja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2005 at 10:17pm
I agree with Anais (I love the new avatar by the way, Anais), but who says the biotin shampoo isn't worth a try?
"If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative."
-Woody Allen
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2005 at 8:49pm

Hmm.. I think Biotin works better if you take it orally as a pill supplement.

Best of luck

Anais 

my LJ, 40 inches long
AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2005 at 7:03pm

Hi all!  I got my hair trimmed today.....with that being said....immediately afterwards I wanted new shampoo!  *smiles*  Something about getting my hair trimmed always makes me want new stuff for it! 

Anyways.... I was looking at this stuff for fragile, thinning hair.  It was by Vita Tress ..and it was a biotin shampoo.  Anyone had any luck with it?  Haven't bought it yet....wanted all of your opinions first!!

Also, what is everyones opinion on Matrix Amplify shampoo??

Thanks in advance!!

Edited by AmberJune
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic