Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Inexpensive shampoos and conditioners

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ACCOLADY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACCOLADY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inexpensive shampoos and conditioners
    Posted: July 13 2005 at 2:05pm

Hello Grace,

While I, too, have straight hair, it is not fine nor have I had a perm in a gazillion years, so I'm not sure if I can offer product ideas based on your hair type.

Some users you'll notice won't use products with certain ingredients, having seen it on a list or by personal use opinion. This is where everyone differs. I can use products with Laureth Sulfate, but have issues with Lauryl Sulfates unless a cone is involved. Yep, I am a hair type that prefers a cone product.

Here is an example. When using Kenra; which is a bit spendy, my hair cannot appreciate the sulfates in the shampoo, so instead, I use Aussie Moist Shampoo (this product contains laurly AND laureth but includes a dimethicone) combined with the conditioner of Kenra.

When going through a budget crunch, my hair does well with Aussie Moist Shampoo and Suave Aloe Vera. I can use the more inexpensive lines provided I choose a good combination of products. For me, using the shampoo and conditioner from one particular company does not always work. Don't let anyone scare you into thinking you must use both to achieve optimum quality, I've been a product swapper for years and have never had problems other than banning one to the 'don't do that again' list.

It actually depends on your hair and type. Try to think of products you've used in the past that worked better, and perhaps give them another try. Also, don't switch products so often that you cannot recognize or remember their effect on your hair.

Karen Marie

Birds of a feather flock together & then crap on your car.

If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.

Member since 2000, not reg. until 2005
jean32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jean32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2005 at 2:33am
Paves Flawless No Sulfates Allowed Repairing Shine Shampoo for dry damaged hair 13.5 fl. oz.[400ml] $6.00 at hairboutique.com $5.99 at Walgreens 

Edited by jean32
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2005 at 8:50am
I think L'oreal Vive and Garnier Fructis have sodium laureth not lauryl.
Here are some shampoos and conditioners under $6.00.
Shampoos: Australian Organics $4.99. Got2Be $5.49. Nature's Gate $5.59.
Conditioners: Herbal Essences $3.49.  Suave Professionals $1.99. Pantene Pro-V $4.29
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
jean32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jean32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2005 at 4:07am
dealtime.com,nextag,and bizrate.com are shampoo,conditioner,etc. price comparison websites.Dollar Tree stores sell shampoos,conditioners,and everything for $1.

Edited by jean32
Amazing Grace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amazing Grace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2005 at 11:14am
Thanks. I notice that Herbal Essences has both sodium lauryl sulfate and sodium laureth sulfate with the lauryl sulfate listed ofter the laureth sulfate.

The idea of spending an afternoon in a store reading shampoo bottles was a bit overwhelming. Although in our unusual 90 degree heat and humidity, air conditioning is appealing...
eatgreenjello View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eatgreenjello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 2:48pm

What about:  L'Oreal Vive Fresh-Shine Shampoo; Prell Active Frequent Use Shampoo; TIGI Bed Head Control Freak Shampoo or Moisture Maniac Shampoo.

Check to see if your Clairol Herbal Essences shampoo contains sodium lauryl sulfate because that's a very harsh and drying ingredient for a shampoo.  It's better to use sodium laureth sulfate, which is much gentler on hair.

**Hair type: 2a, which is wavy and fine.
**Color: Naturally dark brown, currently dyed reddish brown.
**Length: below shoulder length

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amazing Grace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2005 at 7:19am
Clairol Herbal Essences for dry/permed hair. Now that I'm half permed/half virgin hair, I'm not sure I need that formula.
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2005 at 2:25pm
What products are you currently using?

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amazing Grace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2005 at 12:09pm
I'm debating trying a different shampoo and conditioner to see if that will make a difference for my hair. However, price is an issue for me. I'm finding the hair care aisle a little overwhelming with choices, so wondered if anyone had suggestions.

My hair is basically straight, with about six inches of old perm at the bottom, and somewhat on the fine side. I only use shampoo every fourth day and CO every other day. It is softer, but still needs some work. I also do an ACV rinse every couple weeks, which helps greatly.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic