Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

i can’t believe i wasted a whole day!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
CyberMane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyberMane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: i can’t believe i wasted a whole day!!
    Posted: June 24 2005 at 12:27am

Originally posted by femmemuscle femmemuscle wrote:

Over the years i've learned to ask for "by appt. only".  If someone comes in on my appt., and the beautician doesn't speak up - I will.

I work BY APPT ONLY and LOCK my door to anyone else.  One day, I booked a consult for 1 hour.  The client comes in 15 mins. late.  By the time she makes up her mind on which hair extension method she wants, it has taken her over 2 hours long!

My next client was sure pissed off- but kept her cool.

After my experiences with client #1, who just turned out to be a big complainer- and it wasn't just with hair, it was with life- {she even bribed another client of mine}  I realized that this is the kind of person she really is .  That's too bad...

This saves her from losing a potential client, and they can say i'm the bad guy.  Believe it or not, some beauticians won't say a word when this does occur.  Each client is money..and yes, there are folks that "thought i'd drop by", while the beautician is seeing clients.

Well, I speak up!  Luckily for me, I own my own business- so I make my own rules.

To make a long story short, I peacefully ended my relationship with client#1.  I will not let her take advantage of my time and my other client's time.  For my business, NO AMOUNT OF HER MONEY IS WORTH THE PAIN AND THE SACRIFICE.  {Lisa, can you imagine that she made me do 2 wefts each 6 inches long, charged her for a 30 minute job and it turned out to be a 5 hour job? }

I give VIP priviledges to excellent customers, just like airlines do for their FIRST CLASS PASSENGERS

-Charlene

PS. Client #1 was referred to me by one of the salons.  She wears the 'prehistoric' methods.  She never did her online researches so she did not fully appreciate the latest technological methods offered today.  Too bad...  But Thank God I don't have to do her hair anymore yippie!!!!!

Edited by CyberMane
metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 11:36pm
I would never 'bump' any of my clients for walk ins!  I also never double book, it's too stressful for me and clients don't like it.  If you are in my chair, you have 110% of my full attention.
elvira View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elvira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 6:55pm
femmemuscle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemuscle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 1:00pm

yep, the place is on Mission Blvd. and it's called Ms. Sarah's beauty salon.  I told the young lady that I would not be HAPPY to give up my seat to someone..I don't have that kind of time..

This is not an uncommon practice. My ex husband used to tell me, "oh, you have an appt. at 10:00 tomorrow morning? I'll see you tomorrow night."  And it was true.  I was such a "nice" person, that whenever my beautician was braiding my hair, and some one came in for a touch up, or perm, I would get bumped.  Her reasoning was that braiding takes hours, whereas a perm doesn't take very long. Thus, me, and several "walk-ins" would play musical chairs, as she rotated us between the shampoo bowl, the drier, and the styling chair.

There have been times i would come in at sun up and came home after dark..I was always of afraid of crossing the young lady, or saying "no", because it was hard to find beauticians that did braids.

One day in July, i was bumped..and it was in a pretty bad neighborhood on a busy street.  University Avenue in San Diego. There was this old derelict in a dirty Santa Claus suit and a grocery basket that would go down one side of the street, come back up on the other side.  What was so embarrassing was Janice had braided half of my head, when several walk-ins came in off and on that day.  I couldn't get up and leave because my head was half-done. Thus, i had braids on one side, and a huge afro puff on the other.  I was sat in a WINDOW chair..for everyone to look in as they passed the shop.  Yep, that was me, looking like a half bred pearooster sitting on a perch in the beauty salon window with tail feathers up on one side of my head.  Looking at Santa, going uuuup and dooown the damn street.  Aaaall daaaay loooong. 

Over the years i've learned to ask for "by appt. only".  If someone comes in on my appt., and the beautician doesn't speak up - I will.  This saves her from losing a potential client, and they can say i'm the bad guy.  Believe it or not, some beauticians won't say a word when this does occur.  Each client is money..and yes, there are folks that "thought i'd drop by", while the beautician is seeing clients.  Or "have an emergency"..instead of calling, they figure they can muscle their way into the chair.

I must add, that to this day, whenever i see anyone in a santa suit, i laugh a bit.

LauraR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LauraR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 9:17am

"When the first person i interviewed said "our clients are HAPPY to give up their seat to a new walk-in." i said good bye."

What??? I have never heard of anything like that!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemuscle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2005 at 6:13pm

you ladies are too much!  thanks for the compliments and corrections..heck, i should know better! i'm black indian/cajun and my boyfriend is a northern italian!  those eyes..and when he shaves his head, i think he looks even better.

Thanks for the referrals, rae..i think i'll call them up..i'd like to see a beautician that sees clients "by appt. only"..it would be nice.  When the first person i interviewed said "our clients are HAPPY to give up their seat to a new walk-in." i said good bye.

I don't have all day..and i'll be dipped and rotated if they think i'm going to pay good money to have someone take my seat, and time.  I'm a business woman!

Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2005 at 2:33pm
The whole episode sounds gnarly.

I will say that femmemuscle has very good creative writing skills! Lots of descriptive detail.
LauraR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LauraR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2005 at 1:31pm

"(Curious why it was important that the couple at the door was interracial, though.)"

ahhh posted at the same time.... you answered

these things always catch my attention too (kalika and Rae) as I am a mother of an interracial child. Sometimes I am offended but I am used to it now ( I realize that it is not always meant to be offensive)

Edited by LauraR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemuscle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2005 at 1:31pm

you know ladies..i had to think about it..it really has nothing to do with anything...I guess i was giving a vivid description on the events..and hope i have not offended anyone with my "eye for detail".  But i have to say the woman was wearing a really nice outfit..i bet they had a shock when they walked in.  Thanks again.

Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2005 at 1:05pm

"(Curious why it was important that the couple at the door was interracial, though.)"

I was thinking the same thing

Overall though it seems you did a good job getting out of there.  Even though a lot of people work out of their homes its not trashy for when people come over, nor do we put down/take credit for other peoples work. 

mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2005 at 10:56am
I see Charlene you meant 'doctors' or 'clinics'  like the ones in back rooms of some 'salons' with poor lighting and fake botox.  or folding tables a la dirty dancing. 

I was just thinking.  This is not an example of a good home salon but they do exist.  just like folding tables are not good examples of surgery clinics but htey also exist. 

And even my parents who didn't get an answering machine til I got it for them for christmas 99 to get them to the 80's before the new millenium, know how to work a fax machine.  Heck 8yo's can work them. 

I'm glad you at least see the upside.  YOu sure did get crash course on what you don't want in an extensionist.  And knowing what you don't want is sometimes more important than knowing what you do want.

:)al
zapevaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapevaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2005 at 10:25am
Oh, if you're in the Bay Area, there's lots of people. Two Hairpolice affiliates are in SF; Rachel at Edo Salon on Haight St. and another girl named Ramah (www.dreadbeat.com) at a salon on Guerrero- Ramah does my friend Daphne's extensions. Mildewy house not included in the deal. :)

-Rae
CyberMane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyberMane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2005 at 10:10am
Originally posted by zapevaj zapevaj wrote:

I've met a couple of people who hd great
home salons

I have no prob with home salons just as long as I see it neat
and clean and licenses hanging everywhere!

I see lots of them in small towns!

-Charlene
CyberMane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyberMane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2005 at 10:05am
Man, she claims to have 5-10 heads a day??? {yeah right!}
And she can't even afford a decent salon???
And can't get office help to do all her faxing???

arrrrrrrrgh

REPORT HER!!! {and hurry up before she does this to
someone else!}

-Charlene

Edited by CyberMane
zapevaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapevaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2005 at 10:03am
I've met a couple of people who hd great home salons- Serina of deadlyhair has one for exmaple, and my esthetician has one too. But they're always -in a separate room- that's set aside just for hair/skin and well-maintained, and even has a separate entrance so you don't have to go through the house to get there. So yeah, a home salon isn't necessarily a red flag, but a poorly-maintained one is.

I agree with you about unprofessional criticism of other people's work, though. Certainly I like to tell my clients the pros and cons of other methods, but I hate stylists (or hair companies!) who have to build themselves up by talking other people down.

(Curious why it was important that the couple at the door was interracial, though.)

Oh, and the deposit is standard practice; it's usually either the price of the hair or 50% of the labor cost. Dunno why she wanted you to pay half of the labor cost up-front, though! I can't think of any justification for that.

-Rae

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemuscle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2005 at 9:59am

Thanks ladies.  No, this is all true.  the city and state is San Jose, CA.  She's also on the internet under www.aaahairextensions5u.com.  She claims she owned 5 shops in the past, but she "got involved" with some guy and "lost it all".

I should have known better because there really are no photos or anything.  Plus some new product line called bridge extensions system that she claims she will be teaching to beauticians. (apparently, she will be opening a school to do this).  She also claims she would be opening a hair factory because she felt she had far better experience in processing hair than any hair factory she's ever "visited".   Also claimed she would be working in a doctor's office for chemo therapy patients, as well, and also claimed to have done extensions on up to 10 clients a day.  When i asked her how long it takes her to put in extensions she claimed 2 1/2 hours.  Which means she works about 25 hours a day.  When i brought that up she nixed it down to 5 clients a day.."but when i first started out.." Plus in a few weeks a "visit" to relatives in Texas turns into a "board meeting" for the new hair factory they're going to be building.  Plus in 3 weeks her house would be remodeled..when i asked if "what if i wanted to make an appointment with you in three weeks and the place is being 'remodeled'? her answer was "I'll figure something out."  great, we would probably head over to the landlord's house and hangout there to get my hair done.

And she had no idea on how to work her fax machine.  Which happened to be sitting over on the couch with the cords going over the back of it into an outlet.  Now if  a person is going to a "board meeting" regarding a factory..how can you NOT know how to work a fax machine?  Which was actually covered in filth, and hadn't been cleaned since the Fat Boyz broke up.

All true.  I sat in disbelief wondering to myself.."has it come to this?"  I found someone else on the internet with photos of her clients. The location of the shop, and the inside of the place as well.  I also asked for references, etc. And she seemed very confident with her work. I can't say i really wasted a day, i learned a lot.  And with my replies to this other strange beautician, i'm sure she's learned a lot as well.

and you are right, i don't think it's very professional to work out of one's house.  Unless it's really necessary.  This beautician said she was doing it to save money.  Heck, if you have all of this "business", why even worry about money?

Edited by femmemuscle
CyberMane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyberMane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2005 at 9:56am
{hahahahah} you're so funny, Mocha!

ok- "hospitals"- aka "fake doctors" {ummmm, let me think} aka
"RIPOFFS".
Well, let's go off topic, here and give an example.

I heard about this 'doctor' who was giving abortions to
desperate girls in NYC. To make a long story short, he's in jail.
{aha aha hahahaha} {my stomach hurts}
-Charlene

For all you 'STYLIST' screwing other women, like femmemuscle
who so badly need hair that they'll do anything for it- WATCH
OUT- cause YOU WILL BE CAUGHT.

Femmemuscle and for anyone who got screwed by 'stylists';
REPORT THEM!!!
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2005 at 9:39am
OKay I'm thread hijacking

So I get you rpoint but I'm curious exactly what you mean about "hospitals"

Outpatient surgery centers?
CyberMane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyberMane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2005 at 9:28am

the best beauticians i have ever met never "put down" other
people's work. 

This is EXACTLY TRUE!!!

You know, femme, I hear stories like this all the time. My best
advice:
1. call the hair company {for example- great lengths, hairlocs,
prostyles, mark barrington, etc...} and ask them to recommend
you a stylist.
2. do a google search on their salon's name and on their first
and last name plus company name to see if they are reputable.
3. never, ever get your hair done in an unprofessional place-
it's like getting breast implants from a "hospital".

Best wishes; Charlene
Gina E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gina E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2005 at 7:31am
Amazing! Some people have no shame. At least it makes for a damn good story.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic