Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Still Growing Hair; A Health Alert!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Still Growing Hair; A Health Alert!
    Posted: July 10 2005 at 5:10pm
OMG Strawberryfine!  Very glad to hear you are still with us (!) and that the situation is treatable.  (And I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier -- I'm still getting caught up on board messages after my mostly-hellish month of June).
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2005 at 1:32pm
Glad you are doing ok...sorry that it happened and keep us updated on how you are doing.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Viktoria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2005 at 11:39am

Close call, Strawberryfine, I´m relieved you are ok. On the bright side, your doctors have it under control now, so perhaps you will feel much better in the future!

As you say, I have heard this is a rather common problem. I have several friends eating supplements, and it´s always worth checking, especially if it´s in the family.

The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.
strawberryfine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strawberryfine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2005 at 11:28pm

Thanks for all the well-wishes.  I will be fine but on potassium supplementation for the rest of my life as this has been a chronic problem with me.  My dad has it; I don't know if there is a genetic component or not.

I've been eating really extra healthy lately.  There is a small family restaurant near my house that has lots of fresh veggies and meats, wonderful breakfasts; I eat there a lot and take a GNC UltraMega Women's vitamin with iron every day.

The only different thing is I've cut out sugar, bread; kind of an anti-yeast diet.  But I've lost 19.5 pounds since May 5.  My doctor really doesn't know why this has happened; it happened before but never this bad.   

I haven't done any research yet, but want to check and see if potassium deficiency/hypokalemia affects your hair growth or fallout rate.  I don't seem to have lost any hair.

Thanks again for the lovely replies.

SF

strawberryfine
2aFii
12/25.5"/terminal length after reaching "small of my back length"
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2005 at 6:28pm

((((Strawberryfine)))) Thank you for dropping in - to let us know you're alive. We miss you here, but take good care of yourself in the meanwhile.

Blessings

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2005 at 8:10am
How did this happen to you? Were you eating a normal diet?

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
laststar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laststar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2005 at 5:54am
Wow Strawberryfine that is terrible,  glad to here you made it and good luck with everything glad to see you back. 

Starfighter
strawberryfine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strawberryfine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2005 at 5:29am

Hi to all my fellow longhairs,

I know this is not exactly hair related but I felt it was important enough to post.  Forgive me if I'm out of line here.

Sorry I've been out of touch; so much has been going on here I won't bore you all with it, BUT:

Please get your potassium level checked at your next doctor's visit.  It just takes a blood test and you get the results while you wait.

I almost literally died in the emergency room a couple of nights ago due to low potassium or hypokalemia, they call it. 

I stopped breathing and the apnea alarm went off and everyone came running.  I spent 6 hours getting 2 EKG's, chest x-rays with contrast, at least 3 blood tests, and potassium supplements.

Symptoms for me were low blood pressure, high pulse rate, chest pain, tingling in the left hand and face.  I waited almost 10 hours before calling my Dr. who told me to get my a__ to the ER.  Please be smarter than I was.  It took hours to stabilize.

I don't know how common this is but please have yours checked.  And don't take potassium supplements without doctors supervision.  It messes with the electrolytes around your heart--sodium to potassium ration- and can cause heart irregularities and SUDDEN DEATH.

I hope to be back on the boards soon.  I am posting this on several boards.  I don't want this to happen to anyone else.

But I still haven't cut my hair!!!!!!!!  Gotta measure soon.  Hope I'm past the 20" mark now!

Love,
strawberryfine

strawberryfine
2aFii
12/25.5"/terminal length after reaching "small of my back length"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic