Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nioxin - thinning hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nekita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nekita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nioxin - thinning hair
    Posted: July 12 2005 at 6:56pm

Amber, I didn't see this post before replying to the other one. 

After this post, I got lazy and didn't return the Nioxin!  I guess it's a good thing I held onto it.

Dave - thank you for the advice.  I've been taking Flintstones complete and 300 mcg of biotin every day.  Anything else I should be taking? 

AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2005 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by Nekita Nekita wrote:

If anyone is interested, I decided I don't like the Nioxin.  It definitely smells like medicine.  Luckily, at Ulta, they let you return stuff.

Back to Aveda.

Nekita, I love the stuff so far.  I just got a big bottle for fine/thin hair.  And really it doesn't smell after you dry your hair.  I myself was conscience about the minty smell but my boyfriend said he couldn't notice it unless he was actually trying to smell it purposely.  Also, with both the S and C I make sure to put conditioner on the ends of my hair before I use each one.  

*AmberJune* http://twitter.com/AmberJune01
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2005 at 5:15pm
Hi Nekita - sorry to hear about the thinning.  Good idea to be sure to take extra good care of your health in all regards - diet (including supplementation), exercise, sleep, and hair health (gentle treatment and definitely no sun-in!).  Very important for me since my hair isn't as indestructable as it was when I was a teen.  And FWIW, your hair appears to be full in your avatar photo.
Nekita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nekita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2005 at 6:31am

If anyone is interested, I decided I don't like the Nioxin.  It definitely smells like medicine.  Luckily, at Ulta, they let you return stuff.

Back to Aveda.

Nekita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nekita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2005 at 9:51pm

Hmmm... thanks for the advice.  The shampoo does tingle, but I don't think I like the feeling.

I have experimented with color recently, but it's been getting thinner since I started college, back in '92.  Don't know if this means anything, but both my brothers are practically bald.

Before recently trying coloring, I always used Sun-in.  I only found out it was bad for me about a year ago. 

eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2005 at 9:47am
This is a new stylist and she told you your hair is "getting thin" in some places? How could she tell, never having seen your hair before? Ignore her, the only reasonable observation a person who has never seen your hair before would be that it "is thin" in places.

If you are sure your hair is getting thinner (just because you never noticed before doesn't mean it hasn't always been that way in spots) you should probably see a dermatologist first.

Edited by eKatherine

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2005 at 6:58am
A couple of things:  Didn't you just dye your hair a lot recently?  If so, this may be the cause of the thinning.  Also, is it shorter than it used to be?  If so, this may be the reason for the part down the back of your head (mine does that too when it's shorter, the length weighs it down so it doesn't do that anymore).  One thing you can try is massaging your scalp (while you shampoo is a good time).  That helps stimulate blood flow and may help the thinning hair if the dye isn't the cause (if it's dye, you'll just have to wait until more virgin hair grows out for it to go away).

I haven't tried Nioxin, so I don't know about it.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2005 at 11:51pm
i like their products cos it tingles. lol. i use the smoothing reflectives silk elixir leave in
Nekita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nekita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2005 at 9:02pm

I got my hair trimmed a couple days ago - and I actually didn't leave in tears this time.  I think I finally found someone I can trust.

Problem is, she told me what I thought I'd been noticing.  That my hair is getting kinda thin in places.  I'm only 30.  It's not too bad, but my part is definitely growing and if I don't brush my hair in the right place, the part extends a couple inches down the back of my head.

She told me to use Nioxin.  It's supposed to nourish the scalp with vitamins.  It's an S&C.  So, I bought it today and haven't tried it yet.

Anyone try this stuff?  I'm really curious if anyone else has this problem - especially the ladies on this board.

Cheers,

Nekita

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic