Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Long Hair in Europe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long Hair in Europe
    Posted: July 22 2005 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by Viktoria Viktoria wrote:

I´m not sure, but from what I have seen both while living in the US and visiting with americans on the internet, there seem to be more peer pressure about appearance in the US than in Europe. The american culture seems to be rather more cruel to those who stand out of their peer group. Blending in seem to be a key concept.  

Sad but true.In fact you couldnt be more right about it.My husband has longer hair.About to the middle of his back.And you wouldnt believe how people stare.People look at us like we are an alien race or something.I cant count how many times cops acted like they wanted to stop us on the street for just looking different.I know I just read an article online where newly shaved natilie portman was stopped by cops while walking down the streets for looking suspicious .Dont get me wrong I respect police officers and what they do.But just like everyone else.If you dont look a certain way then you are chastised.Thats my rant for today,lol.

fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2005 at 12:57pm
Interesting post. I lived in Italy for about 6 years and I have also visited in most European countries. Italy has the longest and best kept hair that I've ever seen. Personally, I think it's largely down to more division of labor between the sexes and a clear cut acceptance of the more traditional role of women. In the Latin countries a woman, above all else, must be feminine and sexy. She can also do an important job, but that still won't negate the first need. In general, there is a far higher percentage of women in those countries who are just content to stay home, look after thde children--and attend to their own beauty needs!
Viktoria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2005 at 5:31am

I´m not sure, but from what I have seen both while living in the US and visiting with americans on the internet, there seem to be more peer pressure about appearance in the US than in Europe. The american culture seems to be rather more cruel to those who stand out of their peer group. Blending in seem to be a key concept. 

Also, the americans have had a consumer culture longer than the europeans, which might explain a more deeply rooted craving for change and "dressing the part", whatever that may be, and buying in to a lifestyle. It´s coming here as well, but has mostly affected the younger generations. Certainly europeans are more rooted, historically, in their local culture. After all, we have lived here for a while now...

We also have strong labor unions, and one can´t get fired over petty things like hairstyle and such. In Scandinavia especially, the culture is very informal, we call everybody, teachers and any other authority figures, by their first name. Comparatively, it´s very easy to live here.

The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2005 at 9:40pm
I spent a month in Spain a few years ago. My hair was not yet waist-length, but I recall it was the longest hair I saw in the city I was staying in.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2005 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by eKatherine eKatherine wrote:

Our national myth is that we are a nation of individuals and don't cling to quaint customs (such as classically beautiful long hair). Of course we express our individuality by having cookie cutter hair styles...

Isn't it ironic?  (sad but true)

Americans may be individualistic in some regards, but they are also susceptible to hair prejudice.
buckiefairy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckiefairy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2005 at 11:25am
Over here there isn't so many products and straightening treatments etc. Also, I don't know of anyone with extensions, for the same reasons as above. I suppose we benefit from our simplicity or something, compared to the US anyways. I doubt its to do with the diet but in France and Spain etc the people are SO healthy, you hardly ever see an overweight person so i suppose a plentiful supply of fresh fruit could help. Its also great cause there are loads of fit guys!!!  Unfortunately I can't say the same for here in Scotland. I wouldn't cut my hair cause its so noticeable in school and stuff, maybe this exagerated cause we all have to wear uniform in school. I dunno. It's quite interesting that you noticed this though.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Katja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2005 at 9:52am

Originally posted by Susan W Susan W wrote:

Did you go in France to a city or the countryside?  I was last there 2 years ago and I only saw one head of knee length hair (on my boyfriend's sister - who has since gone shoulderlength).  So I'm surprised by how much you saw!  I see much more around where I live in the US.  Not in my town, but when I go outside of the town into the more country parts plenty of the women there have classic length hair.  Great places to see long hair in the US are renaissance faires and reptile shows (I see more at the reptile show than anywhere).  Oh, and I tend to see a lot at the rural walmart too. 

I wonder if extensions are popular in Europe.  I didn't see or hear anything about them when I was there, but then if it weren't for this board I might not have in the US either.

It was about half city, half countryside.  I was surprised too by how much seriously long hair I saw.

For me in the US, it's quite the opposite.  I live in a small country-ish town where like one or two people have waist length hair and the rest have midback or shorter, but when I go into the city I see much more long hair (and I also see a lot at Wal-Mart).  Just not as much as I saw in France, and definitely not as healthy-looking.  Good point about the extensions though.

I'm surprised you see more long hair at reptile shows than at the Renaissance Faire!  Though I do know that some of the RF people wear wigs/extensions.  Hmm. 

"If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative."
-Woody Allen
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2005 at 7:11am
Did you go in France to a city or the countryside?  I was last there 2 years ago and I only saw one head of knee length hair (on my boyfriend's sister - who has since gone shoulderlength).  So I'm surprised by how much you saw!  I see much more around where I live in the US.  Not in my town, but when I go outside of the town into the more country parts plenty of the women there have classic length hair.  Great places to see long hair in the US are renaissance faires and reptile shows (I see more at the reptile show than anywhere).  Oh, and I tend to see a lot at the rural walmart too. 

I wonder if extensions are popular in Europe.  I didn't see or hear anything about them when I was there, but then if it weren't for this board I might not have in the US either.

Edited by Susan W
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2005 at 7:21pm
Our national myth is that we are a nation of individuals and don't cling to quaint customs (such as classically beautiful long hair). Of course we express our individuality by having cookie cutter hair styles...

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
curlyhairedgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curlyhairedgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2005 at 7:18pm
I think it depends on the environment that are in or what kinds of food they eat.
Katja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2005 at 6:59pm

Hey guys-

I don't know how many of you have been to Europe (or anywhere outside the USA) or live there, but I was on vacation in France for the past two weeks and I was positively amazed by some of the hair I saw.  I can't tell you how many people had waist-classic length hair, and I saw four or five people with almost floor-length hair!  Granted, there was still a great variety of short styles and short still outnumbered long, but still... I don't know about any of you, but I have NEVER seen that much long hair in the US.  I felt like my hair got shorter while I was there, simply from seeing all those long, beautiful locks.  And all the really long hair that I saw looked like it had been wonderfully and meticulously taken care of- none of that fried, unhealthy looking hair where you can tell the person just wants long hair regardless of its condition.  No- it was all shiny, soft-looking, gorgeous hair that most likely had never been abused a day in its life.  What a feast on the eyes.

Anyway, this is my question... why don't the United States have more hair like this?  Is it because we're the "fast food nation" that can't take time waiting for things like hair to grow and then maintaining it?  And if so, why is that?  If other societies can do it then what makes western society so different?

I'd really like to hear all your thoughts on this.

Katja

"If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative."
-Woody Allen
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic