Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Encouragement for those starting short

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Encouragement for those starting short
    Posted: August 09 2005 at 5:01pm
Viktoria - while you may have been supported by others, you did it yourself - so be sure to give yourself the credit you deserve.

And hey Mels/GG... I recognize you, too. 
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2005 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by goddess_mels goddess_mels wrote:

Hi PB. It's me, GlennaGirl. (/wave) Your posts are so inspirational. I just love this one. I'm at 17" now, which is an inch longer than a month and a half ago...and what a difference just with that little bit of growth. It definitely helps to hear from people who have been through the process. Thanks!

Hi there GG, nice to see you here too. :)
mizzcathy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizzcathy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2005 at 11:07pm
My aunt told me that if your hair is short and the next day it is an inch longer, it's longer to you.
Hair Goal- Shoulder length growing it bra length in one year for the 8th grade!!
goddess_mels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goddess_mels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2005 at 9:51pm
Hi PB. It's me, GlennaGirl. (/wave) Your posts are so inspirational. I just love this one. I'm at 17" now, which is an inch longer than a month and a half ago...and what a difference just with that little bit of growth. It definitely helps to hear from people who have been through the process. Thanks!
Mels
Viktoria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 12:47pm

Good thread, the wait for long hair is a hard thing to handle at times. Measuring worked for me, I´m a statistics freak, and collecting inspiring pictures on the computer. I´d just page through them whenever I felt discouraged.

And hanging out here, that is what really made the difference. All you inspiring people (noone mentioned and noone forgotten), I really owe my long hair to you, and that´s the truth!

The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.
Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2005 at 12:00am
my goal is a V shape with layers where the bottem point hitting my tailbone.  basically the hair I had in middle school lol.  but Im a cheater, I use extensions while my hair grows out
Katja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2005 at 5:28pm

Great post PB

Another thing I'd like to add is if you wear your hair up a lot (if it's long enough that is), the wait won't be so unbearable.  Back when my hair was shoulder length, I wore it up almost every single day.  I hardly ever noticed the length, but one day a few months later I took it out and it was just above my bra strap!  And I was like "whoa, when did my hair grow?"

Anais also makes a great point about progress pics.  Not only are they great for tracking your length, but we at the boards love to look at new ones

"If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative."
-Woody Allen
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by Kalika Kalika wrote:

Im at 2 inches now.

have a ways to go

Yah. 

I started out at 2 inches.  Just look at my hair now!    Anything is possible, if you believe.  What is your goal, Kalika?
Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 6:59am

Im at 2 inches now.

have a ways to go

Amazing Grace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amazing Grace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 6:51am
My challenge has been growing out layers. The long part in the back is about halfway between shoulder and BSL, whereas the shortest layers are about ear length that have not yet become a problem.

My "reward" or progress markers involve noticing that more and more hair can be held back in a ponytail. Or that when I'm using hairpins to hold those not-quite-long-enough layers in place, I'm putting them in different places. I think in a month I'll be able to put my hair up without having extra hair hanging down the sides of my face.

My focus right now is trying different things to make my hair softer and less frizzy. I can be more patient about waiting for longer length when my focus is on another detail of my hair.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 2:42am
Those are some good ideas,

Progress photos and goal photos.

I know someone who used a bulletin board and she would pin up pictures of hair she liked. Some were not her own hair type but they were still inspiring.

You can also do what some have done and take your own picture and with a little editing you can make your hair look longer than it is so you can get an idea of what your hair might look like when it gets long or to your goal. You can even use that to help you decide on things like if you want your goal hair to be U or V shape or straight across.
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 2:14am

PurpleBubba, thanks for posting this.

Waiting sucks, but, and I can't stress this enough,

Take progress photos  , if possible. 

I've been collecting progress photos and BOY OH BOY does it pay off to look at the change! Tracking by inches does help a lot, but having a visual aid is a really fun companion ritual. I grew out from a boxie (bob pixie) a couple years ago. Time sure flies though. 

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
Jade30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 1:54am

^----Nice hair :P

Also, tape up a picture of the ideal hair you'd like on our bedroom door. :)

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2005 at 5:12pm
An excellent message, PB.

When I started growing mine out (and it started at only an inch or two long), I got to shoulder-length in a little more than 1 year.  It was a WHOLE LOT MORE hair than I had started with, so to me it was long.  And about 2 years later it was mid-back.

Patience makes all the difference.  Time gives you opportunity to learn how to handle the length as it increases, and to experiment with different styles.

IMO the patience paid off.  If you want long hair, you can have it -- just take good care of it, and it'll come.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2005 at 4:19pm
I see a lot of people who ask how long it will take to grow their hair out when they have shorter hair. I've been looking through some threads and such lately and I'm noticing that for a lot of people it's taking them about 2 years to get from chin length hair to mid back almost waist length. Considering the average is supposed to only be 6 inches per year that is quite a change.
Now in some cases that might be closer to 3 years but I saw one that can't be more than 2.5 years.

Waiting sucks but the nice thing is that you don't have short hair for 2 years and then suddenly it jumps to your mid back. It get's progressively longer.

I hope this is encouraging. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic