Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

how often should you trim ends?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jkat118 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkat118 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how often should you trim ends?
    Posted: July 25 2005 at 6:58pm
Thank you all for replying so quickly to my question, and for the warm welcome!  My hair being naturally curly is cut in long layers, (otherwise I'd have a "fro")so, I guess I would keep the long layers as they are and trim as needed.  I am deathly afraid   of having a hairdresser "trim" my hair because for some reason they always have to get scissor happy!  So, I think I'll follow the advice of getting trimmed when end are split.  And pray that whomever trims it doesn't get too crazy with their scissors!!  Thanks again!  And I read this column often!
ACCOLADY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACCOLADY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 6:35pm

Hello Jkat!

Welcome, welcome, welcome to the boards, glad you joined us!

While there isn't necessarily a need to trim for health reasons, unless your hair is severely damaged, as Dave mentioned, it depends on your reason to trim.

Some trim for a neat and tidy appearance, some trim to keep split ends away, some trim for change, and even some, like myself, trim on a regular basis to allow other lengths to catch up when trying to achieve all one length or otherwise. In my case, they were bangs. It all depends on what you prefer.

As you mentioned a trim 'so the length isn't messed up', I get the impression that you are trying to grow or maintain your length. In fact, if your ends are not damaged, split, or otherwise, you may not need to trim at all. A good trim once in a while does make you feel good about your hair.

Hope you will return to the forums often.

Karen Marie

Birds of a feather flock together & then crap on your car.

If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.

Member since 2000, not reg. until 2005
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 6:22pm
I agree with the other advice.

It depends on if your hair needs a trim.

There are only two real reasons to cut hair.

1. To reshape the hair into a certain desired shape.
2. To remove split ends or severe damage.

I have some articles that you might like to read.
angelfire.com/mi/bbubba/LHC/Articles.html
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 5:23pm
Welcome jkat118!

THe answers to your questions depend in part on the answer to this: what do you want your hair to be like?  Longer (and if so how much), and less or more layering (or none).
GoldieLocks92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldieLocks92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 3:01pm
I trim about 1/4 an inch when ever I see damage, I don't have much of a schedule
tdouty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdouty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 2:08pm
We trim Jennifer's hair very rarely ... I think we've trimmed a half inch to an inch off twice in the last year or more.  Her hair grows between a half inch and an inch per month, so she's probably gained about 8-9 inches or more during that time.  Her hair has that v-shaped look of hair that isn't trimmed very often, but the plan is to get it long quickly and then begin to cut off any damage when it's the length she wants.  If you want to keep split ends off, I'd guess that about 1/4 inch every 3 months would be plenty as long as you care for it by staying away from hot irons and hair driers during those 3 months.  If you want to keep it growing, you don't want to trim any more than necessary so don't trim until the split ends are really bothering you and then only trim enough to remove the splits.  Some people in this forum use the "Search and Destroy" method where they periodically search for split ends and just remove the damaged split ends.  Hope this helps.

1c.m.ii
36" as of January 14, 2008
jkat118 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkat118 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 12:43pm
Hi everyone!  I am growing my hair out and wanted to know how often should you trim ends?  My hair is layered and curly and the longest layer is to my bra strap.  Also, how much to trim so that the lenth isn't messed up??  Thanks for any help!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic