Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question about caring for red hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about caring for red hair
    Posted: July 30 2005 at 12:41pm
Greetings, and welcome Mrs. Joolie. 

One thing I do to minimize frizz (especially important being in sub-tropical Florida) is to dilute my shampoo (in a translucent plastic bottle), and apply it at the roots all around the scalp, massaging it all the while until there are suds.  The result is that less of the oils are stripped away, leaving just enough to keep the frizz under control.
mrsjoolie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrsjoolie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2005 at 5:19am

Thanks so much for the advice. Yes, my hair is wavy (and in layers b/c I was dumb!)

I'll try the clarifying shampoo b/c I really do like it when my hair lies down and isn't frizzy.

It's just difficult to be patient while it's growing if it doesn't feel/look right in the meantime.

Julie

Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2005 at 5:03am
I use pantene and love it (but I do use it only about once a week, and I clarify with a clarifying shampoo, like Anais said.  I haven't tried the new color pantenes).  The pantene may add to your hair's frizziness though - it looks like you have naturally wavy hair in the avatar?  I've heard some wavy and curly haired people say it frizzes their hair, so you may want to try something else just to see if it does (I think it depends largely on your personal hair type).  A little jojoba also reduces frizz and makes hair shiny (I remember another red lady awhile back raving about how she loved how it reduced the frizz and brought out the reds in her hair).

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2005 at 7:34pm

Just a note, there's a "proper" way to use Pantene and not abuse it. This applies to similar products such as L'Oreal and Garnier, products that contain silicones (those polymers that feel like wax) . If you decide to use Pantene, you'd have to pair it with a clarifying routine. This would mean using a clarifying shampoo every week or so, or using a diluted apple cider vinegar rinse about every week.

Welcome, Mrs Joolie

Anais

edited for clarity

Edited by AnaisSatin
my LJ, 40 inches long
Alexia81189 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alexia81189 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2005 at 4:55pm

Ahhhhhhhh pantene!!!! don't buy, turn around and walk away from the HUGE selection of crap that needs to be part of the clean up routine for isle 5!

anyway, pantene isnt good for your hair at all. If you have used it before you know what I mean when I say it does make your hair feel soft and silky. But dont be fooled, it is not your clean hair youre feeling, its your hair that has been coated in wax. WAX!! After a while of using pantene will make your hair so heavy and limp from the wax that your hair limp and extremely hard to style with heat products.

Im not sure of a good shampoo for naturally red hair, I just know of good shampoos for colored hair. Sorry! Just dont buy pantene!!

Life moves pretty fast. If you dont stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
mrsjoolie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrsjoolie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2005 at 4:39pm
I was wondering if there are any thoughts on the new products (like Pantene) that are specifically for certain hair colors? Mine is a dark red and tends to be dry and/or frizzy unless I keep frizz control stuff in it. I wondered if these new products might make that better or worse?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic