Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

growing out advice?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: growing out advice?
    Posted: August 08 2005 at 7:18pm
I let it all grow out, and found an amazing stylist (a God-send) who managed to trim a tiny bit from the longest layers and make it look better at each visit (at first, as often as once every 6 weeks, then once every 8 weeks).  I was very fortunate.  Unfortunately he's no longer in the business (at least, the last I knew)... his band got a contract and released a CD and... I moved out of the area.
loquacious View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loquacious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2005 at 5:53pm

You're reserved, eh? haha

I'm sure the gel and slicked back thing would work, he uses gel as it is.  I'm sure once it reaches his ideal length he will just ponytail it for work. The only time he had it long previously was in the mid 90s when the long on top, shaved underneath thing was semi-popular. Ew LOL.  I'm curious to see how it will turn out this time.  When you were growing yours out, did you trim or just immediately let the length grow and even it up after it had gotten longer?

DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2005 at 5:28pm
Hi Loquacious, I'm reserved.

I understand your friend's concern.  I too work in "corporate America," and keep my hair braided (and the braid ends wrapped at waist-length).  Do you think he could use a heavy dose of gel and slick his hair back?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loquacious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2005 at 3:51pm
Anyone else?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loquacious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2005 at 10:17pm

Loquacious describes me perfectly, LOL.  I just looked over your website.  I'm originally from your state!  Miss it there.

Thanks for the welcome, just the same!  This group is full of so much wisdom =D

ACCOLADY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACCOLADY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2005 at 7:39pm

Hey, loquacious is my middle name!

Welcome, welcome, welcome aboard! Is that Hibiscus syriacus in your photo?

I'm afraid I'm not the one to give advice on men's hair care for the workplace, but I did want to greet you and hope you will visit often.

Karen Marie

Birds of a feather flock together & then crap on your car.

If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.

Member since 2000, not reg. until 2005

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loquacious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2005 at 5:43pm

Hi all,  I've never given a proper introduction.  I'm loquacious, middle 20s, living in North Texas and attending cosmetology school full-time.  I'm a lurker, mainly reading here in the long hair section and at the extensions board.. and occasionally the short hair board.  I'm in the middle of growing my hair out, but that's not why I'm here.  I'm pretty dedicated and get lots of ideas and encouragement from reading everyones posts. 

Anyway,  my very close guy friend has a short businessy cut.  He works in corporate America, so he can't be wild by any means.  He is, however, attempting to grow his hair out, at least shoulder length.  Right now, I'd say the longest might be an inch, maybe 1.5 inches, pretty wavy, lots of hair.  He needs to maintain a professional appearance.  He has asked me for ideas on how to keep it from looking ragged and unkempt, but I have none.  I work on clients everyday, but they're usually just trying to maintain a short look.  What can he do to ease the grow out process?  Trims?  Trimming only certain areas until the rest catches up?  Any ideas would be very helpful.... thanks in advance

Edited by loquacious
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic