Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Urge to cut..........Help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CrazyGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Urge to cut..........Help!
    Posted: August 22 2005 at 11:30am

I know how you feel Ivy, I too sometimes want to cut my hair specially when I can't seem to get the style I want... Let's NOT talk about bad hair days either!

I suggest (and I do this myself) is to fix your hair the way you like it. Make it all nice and pretty then take a pic.   Post the pic here or just look at it everytime you feel like cutting your hair.

I look at Dave's and Anais' pics all the time and Purple Bubba's past, present and future pics.

IvyBar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IvyBar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2005 at 11:16am
Thank you all for your help. I will try all of your suggestions and keep you posted with my progress. ~Ivy~
IvyBar
Amazing Grace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amazing Grace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2005 at 12:04pm
When I wander around mumbling that I'm going to shave off all my hair and start over (usually because I'm frustrated with rebellious layers), my husband will remind me that I really want long hair and that cutting it off would be counter-productive.

Perhaps your husband can also help you stay focused on your long hair goal with gentle reminders.
Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2005 at 2:56am
Oh I get the hair bug all the time, its a pain in the butt.
tdouty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdouty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2005 at 1:03pm
If your husband likes long hair as you say, maybe he'd like to help you care for your hair and it might bring the two of you closer together.  Ask him to brush it for you every night.  You both may get a lot of enjoyment out of the time you spend together this way every night and it could help you fight the desire to cut your hair.

1c.m.ii
36" as of January 14, 2008
Tyranna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2005 at 12:46pm

What is fueling this urge - boredom, lack of patience?

If so, there are ways to combat it.  Beauty about long hair is, that unlike short styles, you can have many, many different styles to wear it.  When your hair gets a bit longer - go pick up some books or style manuals on braiding or up-dos.  Start teaching yourself how to french-braid, dutch braid, rope twists, the many, many combinations in between, french twists, chignons, etc.

Also when you get bored, change up the style from wavy to sleek and straight.  Remember you can do alot more with long hair versus short hair.

AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2005 at 12:24pm

Hi Ivybar, it's really nice to meet you  

PurpleBubba's given some of his trademark expert advice. Other than that I just wanted to add, learn new hair styles! That helped me for sure during the growing-out process. Putting the hair up, or back, helps the hairee forget about its length. And then it feels a lot longer when finally unraveled. Thank you so much for your compliment - It totally makes my day.

Hugs and faery blessings

Anais 

edited bold tag

Edited by AnaisSatin
my LJ, 40 inches long
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2005 at 11:26am
Ok the best way to fight that urge is to use the 3 week rule.
Anytime you get an urge to cut or trim more than just some splits give yourself no less than 3 weeks to think about it. If after those 3 weeks you know it in your heart and mind that it's right for you then you'll be doing what's right.

Just like you pointed out Anais hair gather yourself a private collection of inspiration photos. Meaning most people won't mind you downloading or printing out their pictures if you're using them as inspiration. A friend of mine from another site used to save pictures from magazines and such and pin them to a bulletin board in her room. You could do that or get a photo album or something. Buy some hairtoys now that you'll want to use later. Sometimes that helps keep you on track. Set short and long term goals so that you can have some milestones to celebrate along the way. Like first ponytail or past the in between stage when it's just below the shoulders. Think about things like bangs and layers and whether or not you'll grow them out or get them.

In the meantime examine your current routine, and think about past routines and take that knowledge and the tips on this site and perhaps try some new routines or products. But take it slowly so you can give things a good try. We may seem like we're doing lots with our routines but most are really simple. A calender, notebook, or journal can come in handy. There is a journals board here if you want to make your own Journal thread and share your journal.

You can do it. Your goals are reachable. Good Luck. It's nice to have you here.
IvyBar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IvyBar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2005 at 10:59am

I love AnaisSatin's hair. It looks very healthy. Very shiny. That is what I want so bad if I can get over my cutting problem.

My husband says short hair is cute but long hair is beautiful. I agree.

IvyBar
IvyBar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IvyBar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2005 at 10:12am

I have tried to grow my hair out several times because I think long hair (waist length) is beautiful. But everytime I get to a certain point I get a strong urge to cut it. I have not been able  to fight this urge. I get bored with it and want a change. Then a couple months later I regret it. I have short hair now  inbetween jaw and shoulders. Please help me with ideas so that I don't cut my hair again. Thank you!!

IvyBar
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic