Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair breakage?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cookiesnkream View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookiesnkream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair breakage?
    Posted: August 31 2005 at 8:03pm

i had this same problem years ago but i relax my
hair,, i think your hair needs major moisture, do deep
conditioning treatments and such each week or
more often and dont wash vigorously,, Also stop
using a shampoo with sodium lauryl/luareth sufate
or ammonium,, try neutrogena triple moisture cream
lather shampoo,, i use this now ,, its wonderful stufff
Hair type: 3b some c?, fine strands, last relaxer sept 05, never again!!! current :ap length on sides,,nearly bsl in back, damn those old frazzled ends! I am hair OBSESSED   
Adagio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adagio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2005 at 6:55am

Thanks for all the replies, I havn't been able to get online for a while. Dave, you could be right about re-growth, I think I'll just wait and see what happens. As for a picture, I don't have a digital camera, but I plan on purchasing one fairly soon, if I'm still concerned about the hair "breakage" in a month or so, I'll take a few shots.

Thanks again.

DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2005 at 4:14pm
IMO most brushes should never be used for detangling.  I rarely use a brush, and only use one after my hair has been thoroughly detangled with a comb.

The phenomenon that you described, Adagio, might (in part) be just normal re-growth, new strands replacing those that have fallen out before.  I don't know that I would hit the panic button yet.  Can you share a picture with us?

Grace912 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grace912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2005 at 7:12am
Did anything unusual happen around 3-4 months ago? Any type of illness or acute stress? If so, the hair that came in at that point (which is now about 2 inches from your scalp) may be weaker.
Monica: Isn't there any way that you could look at this as flattering? I mean, she's doing this to be more like you.
Rachel: Well, then, couldn't she have just copied my haircut?
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2005 at 3:10pm
Running your fingers through your hair first is good...but only if you start at the bottom and work your way up like you would with a comb or brush.  Running your fingers through it from the top down can break hairs too.  I'd say pay attention to what you do with your hair.  You can hear a snap when you break hairs, pay attention to it and stop doing anything that breaks them.  If your brush is bad enough to cut or pull them getting a new one is indeed a good idea.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Adagio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adagio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2005 at 2:49pm

I run my fingers through my hair before I use a cheap brush. Now that you mention it, I think it's time that I purchased a new brush, the one I'm using is pretty old now and the teeth are wonky. My hair is generally pretty thin, but there are thick ones on the top, what tools should I be using?

Sorry for my lack on knowledge, I'm a guy by the way. As for diet, well, it's not so great, I'm in good shape but I'm not eating what I should be daily.

Thanks again.

Tyranna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2005 at 2:44pm
Kind of unusual to see hair breaking off two inches from the root.  How is your diet - is it balanced and do you take a multi-vitamin?  Also, if you do not color or bleach  - what type hair do you have and do you use the approproiate tools for it?  Are your brushes worn and damaged?

And how do you brush and are you gentle?

An example - I have thick, but finely textured hair.  To comb or brush it out, I have to start midlength and down then work up to the top.  If I star brushing uncombed hair from the top first, it will snarl up.
Adagio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adagio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2005 at 11:32am

Any other recommended products for hair breakge...products which I can find at regular branches..Thanks again.

Adagio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adagio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2005 at 10:10am

Kalika: I havn't done any "mods" to my hair.

I really can't even think about cutting my hair very short, it makes me really sad  ...it's not majorly bad, as long as I can prevent any further breakage then I could live with it...what is Aphogee?

Thanks.

Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2005 at 8:06am
Ouch! That sounds like some major breakage. You'll probably have to cut your hair. You might want to use Aphogee too.
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2005 at 8:01am
whats your chemical hair history.  bleaching/coloring/perming and how often do you use hot tools on your hair?
Adagio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adagio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2005 at 3:30am

Hi, I hope this is in the right section of the forum. Anyway, the majority of my hair is around 15" long, however, I'm having a slight dilemma. My hair keeps breaking, after I wash my hair and dry it, some hairs will go from 15 inches to 2 inches. It's not just a few hairs, it's usually quite a chunk of them, and it's really frustrating, and it's now happened at the front, and it's starting to look quite messy.

It can be hidden if I just flat my hair down, but when the wind blows and my hair is tied back the smaller hairs at the top are all over the place. Anyone know why this is happening? anyone ever experienced this? am I being too rough?

I'm using L'Oreal smooth intense shampoo as well as the conditioner from the same series. That's all I use.

Any help much appreciated.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic