Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

So what about brushing?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So what about brushing?
    Posted: October 23 2005 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by missrini missrini wrote:

I just read an article (which I think was on a webpage that linked from purplebubba's site?) about brushing your hair to prevent hair loss, in particular a receding hairline.  I have also read elsewhere that brushing is a good idea for those growing their hair long as it increases circulation and strengthens hair.   I have personally not really brushed my hair in several years. I have curly hair and it's difficult to get a brush through it, and the result is just a big mass of frizz resembling a sheep.  I do, however, on occasion use a vent brush or afro comb before bedtime (still, the bare minimum of strokes for detangling).  I am wondering if I should get myself a boar bristle brush and start brushing in earnest?  Is this recommended even for us curly heads?  Does everyone with long hair have a hair brushing regimen?

I don't think there's any reason for you to use a brush.  All cons, no pros (I don't believe brushing is necessary to increase scalp circulation, but I do believe that the use of a brush can do more harm than good, especially for curly hair).
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2005 at 4:50am
OK, I'll try and remember to put up a topic with more detailed instructions  glad you found them helpful
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2005 at 6:43pm
Oooh yes please! Do give more detailed instructions. I think maybe if you could post it for everyone to see too?

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
MrsMNK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMNK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2005 at 3:54pm
Ladyfrog, may i pm u on more instructions for head massage it sounds pretty good! and would like to know more
Type *~2A/2B~* waist length

Aim *butt length*
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2005 at 2:55pm
no link but I've done indian head massage before. if you're interested I could pm you some better instructions. Basically, you can do it on normal dry hair or if you want put some oil on it. knead with your fingertips and stroke your scalp and do anything else that feels good! when kneading your scalp, you should use quite firm pressure but not enough so that it's painful. get your husband/partner to do it to you and it's very relaxing

also, place one hand under the nape of the neck and with the other hand, kind of ruffle the underneath of the hair, as if you were waving. these instructions turned out with more detail than I thought! lol

hope this helps
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2005 at 9:36pm

Ah...well no problem then.  I'm extremely active! Bike-riding, walking and chasing after my 2 kids   Who  needs a brush with all that going on? hehe

As for scalp massages, how is that done? I mean, I've had that done at the hairdressers before whilst getting a hair wash.  Should it be done wet or dry? What's the procedure? Anyone have a link to instructions for this?

AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2005 at 1:19pm

Scalp massages  and definitely siding with Dave here about the regular cardiovascular exercise. That'll help a LOT.

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2005 at 6:10am
Ah..ok. But what about increasing the circulation to the scalp? Is that all just a crock?

AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2005 at 1:30pm

Anti-brush here. I don't  think natural curlies shouldn't brush if they want to remain curly.  Combing with a wide tooth after a hairwash is okay, and fingercombing is best. I think you're perfectly fine in following your instincts. I don't even brush myself, and I'm slightly wavy.

Most people don't really do well with brushes anyway because they don't encourage "detangling" more than "ripping" It's very easy to accidentally "rip" through tangles with a brush, but very difficult to accidentally rip with a comb.

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
ChelseaB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChelseaB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2005 at 1:15pm
Hi, I didn't people didn't brush their hair..eh. I have to because I have stick straight hair and it will turn into one big tangle if I dont brush at least 3 times a day (if I wear my hair down). I use a 100% boar bristle brush and it works great on my straight hair. It seems to me that the brsitles would make curly hair frizzy, It does when curl my hair and try to brush it. But I dont know what it would do on naturlly curly hair.
Chelsea~*
www.myspace.com/chelsea_nicole_boyd
Hair Type: 1a/1b-N-ii
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2005 at 6:59am
I just read an article (which I think was on a webpage that linked from purplebubba's site?) about brushing your hair to prevent hair loss, in particular a receding hairline.  I have also read elsewhere that brushing is a good idea for those growing their hair long as it increases circulation and strengthens hair.   I have personally not really brushed my hair in several years. I have curly hair and it's difficult to get a brush through it, and the result is just a big mass of frizz resembling a sheep.  I do, however, on occasion use a vent brush or afro comb before bedtime (still, the bare minimum of strokes for detangling).  I am wondering if I should get myself a boar bristle brush and start brushing in earnest?  Is this recommended even for us curly heads?  Does everyone with long hair have a hair brushing regimen?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic