Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What about the future for your hair?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Hellfrozeover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellfrozeover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What about the future for your hair?
    Posted: November 08 2005 at 11:11am
I agree with Missrini although personally I'd be all "RAARG get out of my hair" as I reaaally don't like people messing about with my hair sometimes. You seem to be doing more good though so it's a positive thing.
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 7:29pm
Well tdouty, I think it is very sweet that you take such an interest in your fiance's hair   Not weird at all.  And it looks like you do a really good job too!!! Keep up the great work. Say a big "G'day" to Jennifer for me

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
Sugaree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugaree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 3:27pm
I definatly say YES to mature women with long hair, but not always... it
depends! Some women can pull it off, other can't. For instance, if any of
you watch Six Feet Under, the mother character in the show, Ruth, has
long hair, and it looks beautiful! On the other hand, my mother, ( another
beautiful lady ) for example, looks better with her chin length bob than
she would with long tresses. She also dyes her hair. It fits her lifestyle
and personality better. Me personally, I will probably opt for long
naturally graying locks that I will keep in a bun or a long braid. I think if
older women have long hair. they should generally keep it in an updo of
some kind, more sophisticated. As for my gray, I am 23 years old and I
already have some patches of silver mixed in with my dark brunette. So
I've execpted the fact that I will probably turn gray early, and I don't want
to be dying my hair for the next 50 or 60 years.
Don't let the man get you down ~ me

1c MC iii Dark Brown, 22" Goal: Waist
tdouty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdouty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 2:13pm
I'm her fiance.  We both have an interest in long hair and I post for the two of us since I care for her hair as much if not more than she does with hair washing and daily brushing.  I also have access to a computer all day at work and her job doesn't give her this luxury.  This question has come up before and I feel I have to defend myself on this forum because of people maybe thinking I'm just some sort of freak playing head games with everybody here.  Trust me, this isn't the case.  The reason for the difference in hair colors is the flash on the camera.  The picture above was taken at close range (about 2-3 feet), whereas the others were taken from farther back.  Her hair is a chestnut brown color, which really doesn't show up well in this photo.  There's a picture of the two of us here.  A picture of her from about 2 years ago can be found here and here.  This last picture shows her true hair color better than any others we've shown here.  I've also posted this picture and this one on this forum.  As you can see, her hair does look different colors in different light, but the latest one at the top of this thread does look much lighter ... the flash is the only explanation I can give.  Why the different texture?  Probably due to blow-drying that day.  Why don't I talk about my own hair??  Well, you can see from the picture of the two of us that it's not all that interesting and people here probably wouldn't care for me to be talking about it.  Why the wedding gown in the photo might be the next question.  She bought that gown quite some time ago at a yard sale to use for material.  She tried it on a few weeks ago and we went out back behind our house into the woods to take a few pictures of her in it.  I thought she looked great in it.  We have learned a lot about hair care from this forum and I try to keep up with what's going on here.  I tell Jennifer of all posts I make and anything interesting that I read about.  I'm not sure what else to say.  I'm a guy who loves to take care of my fiance's long hair and we get a lot of enjoyment from the time we spend together with it.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by MrsMNK MrsMNK wrote:

Hi sorry to sound nosey and all but tdouty who are you to jennifer? and why do you always talk about jennifers hair & not ur own? and how come the pictures of the 2 hairs before and after cuttin look like 2 different colours n textures? just curious

Hi MrsMNK,

It's my understanding that Jennifer is tdouty's wife.

I think Jennifer's hair looks great in the picture you shared, tdouty!

Sunsailing, your hair's looking great!

And my opinion is that long hair is right for people of any age. 
MrsMNK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMNK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 12:57pm
Hi sorry to sound nosey and all but tdouty who are you to jennifer? and why do you always talk about jennifers hair & not ur own? and how come the pictures of the 2 hairs before and after cuttin look like 2 different colours n textures? just curious
Type *~2A/2B~* waist length

Aim *butt length*
tdouty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdouty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 12:27pm
Thanks for the compliments on Jennifer's hair.  I'll be sure to forward them on to her.  The trim was about 3 inches and I wasn't too excited about cutting that much, but her hair does look better now.  She'll have that length back in 4 or 5 months at the rate her hair grows :-).  I trimmed one of her daughters' hair this past weekend as well.  It was about the same length as Jennifer's.  I find it interesting how a daughter seems to follow the mother's lead with hair length.

Edited by tdouty
Hellfrozeover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellfrozeover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 11:59am
I'll probably start getting my hair dyed in a salon when I'm too gray although I'm not sure. I might keep it. Henna is another idea although again I'll need to see when I get there. I'm only 16 just now so it's a while off. Jennifer's hair is gorgeous! I like the natural highlights it has.
Pampinetta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pampinetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2005 at 3:29pm

tdouty, Jennifer's hair looks great, I am so jealous!!

I don't think I've seen an older woman with long greyish hair just hanging who I didn't think looked a bit like an old Morticia Addams... I wouldn't like to have grey hair, especially not if it started going grey early (which it tends to do on my mother's side of the family). I'll probably cut it chinlength (is that a proper expression?) and dye it in a colour close to the one I have now when I get old. Or maybe purple-blueish, that seems to be popular among the old ladies here in Sweden...

laststar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laststar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2005 at 11:28am
Nice hair sunsailing great color and thickness has the same rounding as Jen's I am going to get mine trimmed like that someday,  realisticly I am aiming to get my hair around your length,  although I love the idea of real long.

Edited by The Last Starfighter
1b-M-ii type, 29.5 inches long as of 07/11/06, goal for now waist
redhairedgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redhairedgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2005 at 9:53am
Yeah I agree with everyone who's staying long. I tried "short" and it just isn't me so I'm going to get mine down to waist length and then just have it trimmed every once in a while. I don't reckon I need to worry about having long grey hair for a little whlie yet
MrsMNK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMNK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2005 at 7:54am

Im going to keep my hair growing long for the rest of my life! lol im 17 at the moment, so i have a long time yet, but im definatly going to keep it long & if possible have no cuts at all! im a red head so i gues my hair will go white instead of grey, i just hope my hair will look thick n healthy when im older. I shall keep it in a plait from now till then

Type *~2A/2B~* waist length

Aim *butt length*
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2005 at 7:06am

The only important thing is what you like on your head, not what people around you have been conditioned to think about due to age. If you know in your heart that long hair no longer works for you, get a cut that does. If you're happy with your long hair, keep it.

I like the idea of grey-haired ladies keeping their long hair but wearing a bun. But again, only if it works for you.

dolcecasa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dolcecasa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2005 at 8:55pm
Im not going to be a typical gray, short haired,poofy,or helmet
headed older lady! Im 46 and have gray mixed in my hair,and Im growing it! Its relatively thick,and I agree
with Susan, I will be wearing it UP in a nice upsweep,chignon, and various other Updos! I wont wear it
long and straight,just hanging there. Its just easier to
doUP than fuss with styling it spraying,,etc.I want to go gracefully. I feel its possible!
Deb
dolcecasa!
Katja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2005 at 7:41pm

I agree with everyone who said long hair in old age really depends on the hair's condition at that time.  If my hair gets thin and frizzy when I'm that age, I'd rather cut it

As for the nearer future of my hair... I could envision myself getting a pixie cut at some point, just to try it out.  It won't happen anytime soon though, if ever.  I love all extreme short and long lengths; it's the time it takes to get from one to the other that gets on my nerves.

tdouty, Jennifer's hair looks GREAT!  So healthy and shiny!  My own hair could probably use a good trim, but like TLSF I'm going to put it off.  Which I know is bad, but I'm a glutton for punishment. 

"If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative."
-Woody Allen
Sunsailing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunsailing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2005 at 4:19pm

I'm not sure about the future of it. I loved the whole process of growing it. Once it reached my waist, I thought that was long enough. Due to some shedding a year ago, I began to trim it back a little. It's now a few inches above my waist.

Being a man, I don't think I'd want long gray hair. But I have seen some gorgeous women with long gray hair! Healthy long gray hair is beautiful!

Time will tell with my hair.

Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2005 at 7:05am
I'm going to go gray naturally and keep it long the rest of my life.  I will wear it up in elegant buns.  It may go kinky, because some people in my family went kinky haired as they got gray, but on my mother's side they don't, they stay thick haired.  Either way, it should be fine in buns or twists.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
tdouty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdouty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2005 at 6:43am
I'd have to agree with your comments.  If the hair isn't healthy looking, then it probably isn't going to look pretty long and the best thing to do is to keep it shorter and make the best of it.  Jennifer and I just don't agree with those who say long hair doesn't look good on "older" women and that as you age, the hair has to go.  As long as it looks good, she plans to keep it long. 

Missrini, you and Jennifer are the same age :-).
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2005 at 1:26am

Missrini, you have a great point. I don't think there will be any "flaming"  The older women get, the thinner the hair tends to be. And further, the hair strands will become less "plump". It's perfectly understandable for many women to cut their hair short as hormonal changes affect their hair and health. As for me personally, now that I think about the possible changes to my hair, I'm just going to have to wait and see what old age will bring. It's just a decision I'll put off until later.

Anais  

my LJ, 40 inches long
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2005 at 8:30pm

Hey I really like the trim!!!  Her hair looks nice and healthy

So from hair history...to hair future....I like it!

I'm not too sure what I think about older ladies with long hair (I think I'm going to get flamed for this!!! but anyway...).   I think it's a great idea in theory, I mean why should ppl cut their hair because they are aging? Doesn't make sense (unless it's in really bad condition).  However, the few more mature women I have seen with long hair did not look good.  Maybe I just need to see one with really great hair to change my opinion on this

As for me, well I'm "only" 32, so have a few years to go before I'd consider myself to be a "mature" woman.  But I think that if my hair is looking good and it suits my lifestyle, then I wouldn't see a reason to cut it.  It's one of those things to play by ear.

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic