Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

support/suggestions... cut or not?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
tdouty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdouty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: support/suggestions... cut or not?
    Posted: November 30 2005 at 11:28am
You might want to try Infusium Leave-in conditioner.  Jennifer has used it on her hair for quite some time and loves it.  It really helps with the after-shower combing.
Jennifer here---> Your hair is alot like mine.  In fact, when I first saw your pic I thought it was me.  I have a crazy wave but as it gets longer straightens out.  I'm not a big fan of going to bed with a wet head so I shower in the mornings, too.  I'll spritz Infusium in my hair (after my shower) concentrating more on the ends and underneath.  I let that set a bit and then comb through with a wide toothed comb.  I'll let it air dry as long as I can but before I go to work I'll twist it up into a bun and put a scrunchy over it to hold.  I don't like having wet hair all day so a couple of times a day I'll take the bun down and let it air dry some more and when I'm done I wind it back up to a bun.  When I get home, I let my hair down and it'll have a nice curl.

Edited by tdouty

1c.m.ii
36" as of January 14, 2008
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2005 at 11:33am
I'm afraid I have to disagree with you trophy wife. Although I love long hair, I feel that short hair is also beautiful and that no one should be pressured in to cutting OR growing their hair if they don't want to.

letmecount123-do what will make you happy with your hair but I would not advise chopping it all off, a trim would make you feel better about the condition of your hair as would search and destroy and other tactics mentioned.

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
trophywife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2005 at 10:16am
Do not cut your hair, long is the best and yours is v pretty.  Maybe just get a trim or something...
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2005 at 9:50am
I think your hair loooks fine-very similar to my own hair condition. Maybe try washing less frequently.

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2005 at 3:45pm
      I think your hair looks magnificent, period, root to tips. Anyone who tells you different may have ulterior motives, I believe. Blessings, Bob
letmecount123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote letmecount123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2005 at 5:50pm

Suggestions?  But of course... wouldn't be here if I wasn't.  Thanks for the link.

DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2005 at 5:46pm
Are you open to more suggestions?  (hoping so...)

I always detangle my hair thoroughly before washing it.  Completely comb out and then follow-up with a brush.  This helps remove all the loose strands before starting, and makes post-process detangling less of a hassle.  I never use a comb on my hair when in the shower.  After shampooing, I soak the hair in conditioner and then rinse it out.  I use a technique which minimizes the movement of the hair in the shower, so that my hair is fairly easy to detangle afterwards.  I wrote about it here.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote letmecount123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2005 at 5:36pm

Weeeeell... for awhile I was using a comb in the shower when I had conditioner in my hair because otherwise I couldn't get ANYTHING through it.

And then I kind of got lazy and was using a brush...

But I got a comb a few days ago.  It does really work a loooot better.  I'm finding my leave-in isn't really working as well as it used to though.  Could be my hair though, I suppose.  I have Herbal Essences leave-in, and haven't been able to find another one.  I might actually have to go into a salon to find something else if I want it that bad.

DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2005 at 5:32pm
Welcome Holly!

First, I think you are being much too hard on yourself.  Based on the photos you've shared, your hair looks very good, and does not appear to be damaged.  Keep in mind that the shorter strands can also be regrowth of previous fallout.  It's perfectly normal for your hair to get gradually thinner as it gets farther away from your head.  And my braids get very fuzzy if I leave them in overnight.

The entire underlayer of my hair, too (in the back) is the "worst" in terms of condition.  It's been subjected (without trying) to the most abuse -- sliding around against shirts/coats, or exposed to sweat if I'm going shirtless on a hot day.  Plus, the strands at the nape are in a sort of transitional region, where the hair changes from "head hair" to "body hair," so the strands there aren't the strongest and don't grow to be very long.

It doesn't look like you need much if anything trimmed.  Maybe a half inch, or an inch at most.  That'll give your hair a very neat and well defined blunt line/curve.

I use Goody's ouchless elastics but only to tie off the ends of my braid.  I would never consider using them to make a ponytail. I only use terrycloth elastics to form the base of my ponytail; they're not damaging at all.  Double them over if necessary to make them tight enough to hold your ponytail up.

I recommend using a pair of very sharp pair of scissors (dedicated only to this purpose) to trim split ends using a method described as "search and destroy" (S&D).  Procedures for this technique have been defined in other threads within this forum so I won't repeat it here.

I would suggest diluting your shampoo (I use a ratio of 10 parts water to 1 part shampoo, mixed together in a clear plastic bottle with squeeze top).  Your scalp will get clean but not so squeaky clean that it'll be tempted to start cranking out the sebum quickly.  That might allow you eventually to stretch your washing interval to maybe 2-3 times per week.  More washing = more wear and tear on your hair; conversely, less washing means less wear and tear.

Lastly, a question:  How do you detangle your hair?  With a brush, or a wide-tooth comb?

AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2005 at 5:27pm

You'd be surprised how STRONG fabric scrunchies are. As a general rule: the bigger the hair tie, the less damage.

The other thing you can do is spending only an extra 5 minutes if you can, to squeeze your pony in a towel to get as much water out as possible. I understand this is difficult because you shower in the morning, but if you can shift your schedule and spare only 5 extra minutes for squeezing excess water, it will make a difference.

HTH
Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote letmecount123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2005 at 4:17pm

Also, question for Anais.

I don't have time to dry my hair in the morning before class and I don't like to shower or wash my hair at night (I turn into a fuzzball before morning).

The only way to keep my hair secure and off my neck/back (so I don't soak my clothes) is to put it up and so far the ouchless elastics are the only thing strong enough.  Are there really any alternatives that work similarily?  I've been trying to french braid, but it's kind of time consuming and I find I get very frustrated with tangles and such when I'm trying to put them in.  And besides, braids usually result in the fuzzy mess posted above.

Thanks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote letmecount123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2005 at 4:12pm

Since that picture doesn't demonstrate the damage underneath, here are a few pictures.

The braids had been in for about 24 hours, but I rebraided the long part 2-3 times in class that day.  All of the damage from underneath is what is coming out from the braids:

And here are a few during air-drying post-wash/condition/comb:

I just looooove my hair when it's long.  I found a whole bunch of pictures I have over the time I've been growing them out and I can't really imagine going back... so I guess I better go find some scissors and get rid of some split ends... and maybe make one more appt. at the hairdresser for Christmas time.

AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2005 at 1:18pm

Hi Holly, welcome to the board  I think you're between a rock and a hard place (was that the right cliche?) The best compromise you can do, as suggested, is to go through your hair and remove the splits one by one with sharp scissors. Purplebubba has a fabulous guide to choosing good hair scissors. I also like to use sharp embroidery scissors (they can be found at the fabric store). I find that a "search-and-destroy" session gets rid of a lot more tangles than expected. It oftentimes feels better than a trim because I'm not losing any length, yet I get a smoother comb-out.

I see the other problem ...... You're using goody's ouchless elastics on WET HAIR! Yikes, please please never do that to your hair. Your hair is most fragile when it it wet, and only thick scrunchies, socks, or hairsticks should be used on wet hair. The more pressure and friction you have on a small hair tie, the more breakage will result. Scrunchies and socks distribute the pressure on a larger surface, and good hairsticks are quite smooth.

Sometimes the culprit is the least expected one.

Hope your hair feels better soon. Feel free to click on my Medusa link  (Thank you Rini)

Blessings
Anais

Edited by AnaisSatin
my LJ, 40 inches long
Vicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2005 at 1:21pm
I agree, to me your hair looks good
My hair has been damaged by coloring and blow-drying, i also had to make a decision, cut it all of or take better care of it and trim abit every other month. I chose the second. No more coloring or blow-drying! It's still abit dry but way better than before  
Pampinetta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pampinetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2005 at 12:37pm
My hair was very dry and brittle after to much highlighting and a lot of conditioning, leave-in-treatment and no blowdrying did the trick for me. Maybe you should start with trying to cure the dryness and then decide how much you want to trim it when it's soft and healthy again? You hair looks beautiful on the pictures btw!
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2005 at 10:56am
Also, if your hair is very dry you might benefit from oil treatments. Basically you slather your hair in oil (can be whatever random oil you have in your kithchen cupboards although a lot of people on here swear by jojoba), leave it for a few hours and then wash it ot. CO (conditioner only washing) is also meant to help with dry hair I think but it doesn't suit everyone.  Hope you find a solution for your hair soon

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2005 at 10:53am
sounds pretty healthy. I don't do much more then that (apart form not using a hairdryer-due to sheer lazyness not any overwhelming care for my hair I'm afraid)

I would suggest using a pair of very sharp scissors (sharpen them on a oilstone if you have one) and cut off every split end you see, do  this as often as you can. You could try trinmming a few inches off your hair yourself if you're not happy with your hairdresser using Feyes self trimming technique. There's links to it  scattered all over this site or you could google it. Alternatively you could shave your head!

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote letmecount123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2005 at 8:54pm

Hair routine... ack.  It's not great as I don't have a lot of hair product, but here goes:

Wash with some kind of shampoo (currently Life brand banana scented) every 1-2 days.

Condition probably 2-3 minutes with Dove moisturing condition.

I use Herbal Essences leave-in conditioner to comb out the knots. (One thing I miss about short hair: no knots!)  I've had to use more and more of this over time.  And I can't find another brand that I like.

Then I usually throw it up in a ponytail with goody ouchless elastics and wrap it up in a bun (otherwise my shirt gets soaked).

If I blowdry, I use Garnier Fructis Long & Strong anti-split ends serum and a Physique straightening blow dryer...something about ions.  I don't have a straightening iron anymore.  I have so much hair now that my natural curl has more or less pulled itself right out.

So...that's about it?  I'm not sure if that helps at all, haha.

missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2005 at 8:42pm
Tell us your hair care routine (as detailed as you can)....that will help us to give you some more accurate advice.

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote letmecount123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2005 at 8:40pm

I have no idea what happend to the under layer of my hair... my hair isn't even layered, so it's not like it's exposed or anything.  I haven't died my hair for over five years, and it's growing in lighter now than I used to dye it.  And I don't really wear it down a lot at all.  It's in two french braids right now.

Unfortunately if I want to keep my hair long, I can't cut 100% of the damage out because the damage that's underneath starts right at my neck and goes the whole way down.  Although it is just a very thin layer of growth that is wrecked: mostly the hair growing right from the top of my neck.

Also unfortunate is the fact that there are no spectacular salons in my area.  Not that I know of anyway.  The last hairdresser I went to couldn't even trim my hair straight and there are still longer pieces here and there. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic