Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lemon Juice!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sugaree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugaree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lemon Juice!
    Posted: February 27 2006 at 1:57pm
Lemon juice by itself will not lighten the hair. Lemon juice AND the
ultraviolet rays of the sun will lighten your hair. ( similar to a product
called Sun-In ) The drawback here is dryness and if your is dark to begin
with, it will turn orange. If you are already a dark blonde or very light
brown you can probably use the lemon juice and sun method. Be sure to
condition after because the acid will dry out your hair. Also, the lemon
and sun method needs about 5 hours in the sun.
Don't let the man get you down ~ me

1c MC iii Dark Brown, 22" Goal: Waist
Lisa9232 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa9232 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 8:40am
Originally posted by DaveDecker DaveDecker wrote:

Originally posted by Lisa9232 Lisa9232 wrote:

Do you think that if I keep using lemon juice like tons of times then all the times I use it, it will dry out? Thanx!

Lisa,

It's kinda of like going out in the sun.  If you spent only one or two days per summer in the sun, you probably won't have any noticeable damage.  But if you spent every day in the sun all summer long, your hair would certainly be somewhat damaged by the sun.

It all depends on how much lightening you want your hair to get.

Re: your wish to have soft and silky hair, I have found that following up shampoo & conditioner with a diluted vinegar rinse (1 tbsp in 16 ounces of distilled water) helps a lot -- but my tap water is fairly hard.  The diluted vinegar rinse helps most for those with hard water.  Also, the vinegar smell goes away as soon as your hair dries.

Oh,okay! Thanx Dave!!! I just want my hair to show more blonde than brown and right now it's going haywire!I'll try that shampoo & conditioner thing with vinegar rinse! Thanx!

Without God all things are impossible!But with God all things are possible! ~~~Lisa9232~~~
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2006 at 8:29pm

Do you think that if I keep using lemon juice like tons of times then all the times I use it, it will dry out? Thanx!

Lisa,

It's kinda of like going out in the sun.  If you spent only one or two days per summer in the sun, you probably won't have any noticeable damage.  But if you spent every day in the sun all summer long, your hair would certainly be somewhat damaged by the sun.

It all depends on how much lightening you want your hair to get.

Re: your wish to have soft and silky hair, I have found that following up shampoo & conditioner with a diluted vinegar rinse (1 tbsp in 16 ounces of distilled water) helps a lot -- but my tap water is fairly hard.  The diluted vinegar rinse helps most for those with hard water.  Also, the vinegar smell goes away as soon as your hair dries.

Lisa9232 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa9232 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2006 at 6:48pm

Originally posted by LadyFrog LadyFrog wrote:

The lemon juice might dry out your hair a little but I don't think it will damage it. Glad to hear I've been of help!

Oh,Okay! Thanx!!! I know I'm asking you tons of questions, but............

Without God all things are impossible!But with God all things are possible! ~~~Lisa9232~~~
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2006 at 1:24pm
The lemon juice might dry out your hair a little but I don't think it will damage it. Glad to hear I've been of help!

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
Lisa9232 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa9232 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2006 at 10:31am

Well vinegar will not lighten your hair. Lemon juice will bring out more blond but if that is what you're trying to do, I suggest you try a camomile rinse. Just make some camomile tea, let it cool and use it as a rinse. 

Thank-you LF! You have been a BIG help! I'll try the tea thing sometime! If I use the lemon juice to bring out more blonde in my hair will it also ruin it or no?Thanx!

LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2006 at 10:50am
Well vinegar will not lighten your hair. Lemon juice will bring out more blond but if that is what you're trying to do, I suggest you try a camomile rinse. Just make some camomile tea, let it cool and use it as a rinse. 

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2006 at 9:56am
Conditioning-only washes have made my hair more soft and silky, which is what it sounds like you're after. There's a recent CO thread that you can read for more info if you're interested. Also, I use Burt's Bees Carrot Seed Oil spray on my hair with great "soft & silky" results. I think lemon juice wouldn't really do the trick for my hair to be soft/silky, but it does clarify as others have mentioned.
Lisa9232 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa9232 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2006 at 9:15am

Vinegar is beneficial to the scalp as it restores the ph balance but I've never heard anything about lemon juice. I suppose it would probably work in a similar way if it did anything. 

Thanx LadyFrog! Do you think I should use vinegar instead of lemon juice????

Lisa9232 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa9232 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2006 at 9:14am
Originally posted by DaveDecker DaveDecker wrote:

Hi,I have a question about lemon juice! I heard that it helps your hair!?!? Is that true or no??? Thanx!

~~~~Lisa9232~~~~

Define "help"

For what purpose do you want to use it?

Um...........................well,To make it more soft or silky(my hair has soooo many problems)!Do you think that also using it,it would bring out more blonde in my hair! I heard that from a friend that it brings out blonde in the hair!Do you think so?Anyone can answer this question,not just you Dave!J/K,but anyone can!Thanx for all the advice and stuff so far everyone!!!!!!!

Edited by Lisa9232
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2006 at 1:42am

I've used lemon juice to release dye in henna, but nothing else. If anything, it would be a clarifying rinse to remove some mild buildup (some minor minerals, but probably not product residue). Citrus juices and extracts tend to be clarifying.

my LJ, 40 inches long
Renata22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renata22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2006 at 10:10pm
When I was younger, I used to spray lemon juice on my hair in the summer time for subtle high lights. But I hear (I don't quite remember) that it can be drying also.
Hair type: who knows?
Length: 23 inches as of 3/10/06
MY HAIR IS OFFICIALLY BRA STRAP LENGTH!!
Goal: Waist Length, which is only 30 inches so
ADVISE ME ON HOW TO GET JUST 7 MORE INCHES OF GROWTH!
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2006 at 7:38pm

Hi,I have a question about lemon juice! I heard that it helps your hair!?!? Is that true or no??? Thanx!

~~~~Lisa9232~~~~

Define "help"

For what purpose do you want to use it?

LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2006 at 3:58pm
Yes, lemon juice would bleach your hair a little. 

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2006 at 12:10pm
Lemon Juice has a similar pH to Vinegar but it also changes color for some. So be careful with it.
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2006 at 11:44am
Vinegar is beneficial to the scalp as it restores the ph balance but I've never heard anything about lemon juice. I suppose it would probably work in a similar way if it did anything. 

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
Lisa9232 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa9232 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2006 at 11:30am

~~~~Lisa9232~~~~

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic