Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Plain Hair Pins

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plain Hair Pins
    Posted: April 09 2006 at 2:31pm
Ooh, let us know what your parents find... and if something strikes your fancy at the Asian grocery.
philosophy girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philosophy girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 1:50pm

Thanks Dave.  Yes I have heard of them, I've never seen them in the UK anywhere (including online and ebay) so I assume I'd have to pay shipping from the US and they seem a little expensive.  I looked at the hair toy links from LHC and postage in general is just too much for my poor grad student wallet

It seems that Britain just isn't the place to live if you have long hair, parents are on holiday in Goa and have been instructed to track down hair toys if possible.  Off to the Asian grocery in town tommorrow to try and buy some nice chopsticks. 

3a C/M ii 35"(21/03/06)dark red

Founding Member of the Benign Neglect Club. All applications welcome and accepted (each member to decide for themselves what they consider to be neglectful)
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by philosophy girl philosophy girl wrote:

Anyone else not in the US and struggling to find accessories for long hair beyond what's in Claires?  

Has anyone found a good UK based company - there are lots selling cheap accessories (Ringmania seems to be good at the mo' for ibis clips) but few seem able to contain my mop.

Don't know about UK availability, but have you heard of Ficcare (or knockoffs thereof)?  They make curved hairclips which work very well at containing large amounts of hair.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philosophy girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 8:49am

O/h has his face tickled with my ends when I'm feeling evil, makes him go all squirmy which is hilarious to watch.  Doubt it's jealousy as my hair is always up outside of the house so noone has any idea how long it is.  Think he just doesn't like anything that's not 'normal' (also doesn't like my piercing or that I want a tattoo), he's very conservative in some ways.  

Just ordered some hair sticks for £16 (with postage if that makes it better?) so the economy drive came to a bit of a crashing halt.   Budget blown for the month but they look gorgeous (handmade with a silver metal lotus) and I had to have them.  Soooo excited about them arriving, will be watching for the postman.  Fingers crossed they looks as good in real life.  Good thing I can justify it through the money saved on haircuts  

Anyone else not in the US and struggling to find accessories for long hair beyond what's in Claires?  

Has anyone found a good UK based company - there are lots selling cheap accessories (Ringmania seems to be good at the mo' for ibis clips) but few seem able to contain my mop.

Founding Member of the Benign Neglect Club. All applications welcome and accepted (each member to decide for themselves what they consider to be neglectful)
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 6:28pm

Wish I had a picture I could post.

As do we.

Just needed to celebrate with people who understand the true joy of hair toys

Yay!

(o/h doesn't comprehend my joy, though really liked new hair do!  - which is a miracle as he doesn't like my hair long).

He is obviously defective.     Actually, Susan's speculation is plausible, I know of a guy like that (jealous of attention his wife got from other men).

He recently discovered he could whack me in the face with my plait!  That was a fun couple of days

I'm with HFO on this one - turnabout is only fair.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philosophy girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 7:44am
  He recently discovered he could whack me in the face with my plait!  That was a fun couple of days  

Hellfrozeover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellfrozeover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 3:26pm
I say you attach things to your braids and start smacking him around the head if he says anything negative about your hair!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 7:56am
My brother is like that!  He absolutely can't stand long hair (convinces any woman he's with to get a haircut), and I never could figure out what the big deal was! (Though I wonder if it came from the time way back when his wife has waist length hair and other men oogled her!)  At least with long hair if you pin it up people even forget its long, so you can have the best of both worlds!

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philosophy girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 11:14am

We've been together about three and a half years so it was quite a bit shorter when we met, still long though. He constantly used to say 'it's too long' and also doesn't like it curly (FREAK!!!!!  he is the only person I know who doesn't coo over my long curly hair, good thing it's almost always tied back for practicality), apparently I look like a witch (and.........) though everyone else says I look like a pre-raphelite painting.  He's learnt that I will pay no attention to him telling me it's too long so rarely says anything now.

Anyway, he's very lovely in general, just not a great fan of 'abnormally' long hair.  But hey, I'm not a fan of balding crew cut blonde men (give me a head of thick dark curls anyday!)

missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 5:03am
Philosophygirl.....o/h doesn't like your hair long? really? Tell us more

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
horselover_1625 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horselover_1625 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 5:45pm
They sound wonderful...I wish I could find some for my hair!
RANITA~~
-----------
What good is life without a horse??!!!
Hellfrozeover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellfrozeover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 12:02pm
Sounds lovely! I like the pretty pins you can buy although customising sounds like fun.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philosophy girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 11:37am

After looking for ages, finally found plain hair pins (the ones like big kirby grips but wavy both sides) to allow me to indulge my new obsession for decorating my own pins - woohooooooo!  40 for 99p or 50 for £1.50, nice new pins, very low cost.

Can finally do more impressive updos without spending for ever removing the pins because they've disappeared.  Did a plaited bun the other day and looked like I was going to a wedding with my lovely shiny new pins (slightly dissonant with the hiking boots but hey, just cause I have to be practical doesn't mean I can't have glam hair right?).  Wish I had a picture I could post.

Just needed to celebrate with people who understand the true joy of hair toys (o/h doesn't comprehend my joy, though really liked new hair do!  - which is a miracle as he doesn't like my hair long).

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic