Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hospital Stay

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
horselover_1625 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horselover_1625 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hospital Stay
    Posted: April 10 2006 at 4:15pm
Ooh, hip replacement...I hope all goes well with you. Hopefully, you'll have a speedy recovery!
RANITA~~
-----------
What good is life without a horse??!!!
Amazing Grace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amazing Grace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2006 at 3:47pm
Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement. I hadn't thought about the trim affecting the amount available to braid. One more reason to put off this trim I'm been procrastinating about for three months.

It's a hip replacement I'm having done. For a variety of reasons, it will be more challenging than the average hip replacement, so I'm expecting a possibly slow recovery with fabulous results!
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 1:20pm
Hi Grace,

My suggestion is to center part your hair from forehead to nape, and braid each side.  That, and don't trim beforehand.

How often do you wash your hair now?  Before checking in to the hospital, you might want to "train" your scalp to put out less oil, by washing your hair less often than you do now.  (That way, your scalp will be less ornery, and will be clean longer).

I wish you well on your upcoming surgery. 
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 10:29pm

Hi Grace

I recently went through this experience (in December), although my hospital stay was shorter, I was incapacitated for a little while.

If I were you, I would save cutting until after you come out for two reasons: easier to braid while you are in there, and having a nice trim may make you feel better when you are recovering.   Think of your hospital stay as an opportunity to pamper your hair.  You can oil it and keep it braided for days and it won't matter what it looks like (ppl aren't going to be expecting you to look glamorous!).  It's like a two week long conditioning treatment

I don't know how incapacitated (there's that word again!) you will be, but I would keep your washing routine really simple while you are in there.  Don't worry about any extra steps (ie ACV rinsing, ice cold water rinsing, honey additions etc.), just do the basic washing (whether that is CO for you...or whatever) and the nice oilings your hair is going to receive will look after the rest.

I hope that you have a really speedy recovery and will be back with us very soon after

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horselover_1625 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 12:36pm
That's what I thought after I wrote what I did, SK. Waiting until after you come out would be a great idea so you could have more hair to braid, Grace.
RANITA~~
-----------
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 12:29pm

Hi Grace, i hope your hospital stay goes well and smoothly. If it was me, I would wait for the cut until after the surgery so you have more hair to braid. Having it shorter may make it more difficult to braid, and thus protect, while you're in bed for awhile. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horselover_1625 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 12:28pm

Well, I don't know much about the climate in hospitals, but if you're planning on cutting your hair regardless, I would probably do it before I went. Would your hair still be long enough to braid after you cut it? You may want to consider that.

As far as care while in the hospital, I don't know how often you wash it, but they do have waterless shampoo...maybe someone else has something to say about that. I've never really tried it, though I have a handicapped sister and we have sometimes used it on her, so.... If you aren't going to be able to comb your hair during your stay, I would suggest having someone take your hair down and comb and re-braid it for you...probably someone you trust with your hair! Anyways, that's all I have....HTH!

RANITA~~
-----------
Amazing Grace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amazing Grace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 8:38am
Recently, I scheduled some surgery for July. I'll be in the hospital for approximately two weeks.

Any suggestions on how to take care of my hair while I'm in the hospital? The dry air of hospitals and time spent in bed don't seem like it would be good for it. And I'm concerned about it tangling, although I'm planning to keep it braided.

My hair is about four inches longer than in my picture. I've been debating cutting off a few inches to even up some layers. Should I do this before the hospital so I have less hair to be a problem? Or wait until afterwards in case it does get overly dry and damaged?

Thanks,
Grace
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic