Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair repair! (Mainly split ends)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair repair! (Mainly split ends)
    Posted: July 09 2006 at 2:59pm
Starlit,

IMO, naturally curly hair is most beautiful when it isn't straightened.

When you straighten, do you use a heat protectant?  Using one is a must.

You'll also want to deep condition your hair when you wash it.

Instead of straightening, work some oil into your hair.  Apply sparingly, and add a tiny bit more only when what's already been applied is fully absorbed.  The result will be a lovely, soft and lush mane of long curls. Mmmmm....
Alayney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alayney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 10:24pm
Can't you cut down on the straightening. When they straighten my hair at the salon, I can go for at least 3 days without doing ANYTHING to it. I used to wash my hair every day but now that it's colored, I don't have to. I would imagine you could get away without washing so much too ... ???
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 5:14am
Aww...geee..........thick, beautiful, sexy waves???!!!!! Thanks!

Day made here too

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by anne6000 anne6000 wrote:

Are you kidding?  I can't believe anyone with such incredibly gorgeous hair as you and SpecialKitty would ever consider straightening it!  I would just about kill for those thick, beautiful, sexy waves.  I'm sure your hair looked fine with straightening, but why mess with natural beauty?  People pay fortunes for hair that doesn't even come close to what you were given naturally! 

Wow, thanks anne6000!!! You made my day (I'm having a bad hair day - well really a bad day all around....).
rhpetunia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhpetunia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 8:13pm
I agree.  Gosh, I hope for humidity, and scrunch and scrunch to try and make mine as wavy/curly as it can get!  I think curly hair is gorgeous!
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 11:16am
Originally posted by missrini missrini wrote:

Embrace your curls starlit.....that's all I have to say

Are you kidding?  I can't believe anyone with such incredibly gorgeous hair as you and SpecialKitty would ever consider straightening it!  I would just about kill for those thick, beautiful, sexy waves.  I'm sure your hair looked fine with straightening, but why mess with natural beauty?  People pay fortunes for hair that doesn't even come close to what you were given naturally! 

Edit:  For some reason, when I quote someone, then my text below appears much smaller (and I'm not sure if the text size will change yet again after I hit edit). 

Edited by anne6000 - July 06 2006 at 11:17am
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2006 at 8:11pm
Embrace your curls starlit.....that's all I have to say

Personally, I found that once I accepted my waves/curls and learnt to work with them, my hair started to come good.  It's kind of a self-acceptance thing too, and I find myself feeling more confident about the way I look.

Good luck!

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2006 at 12:02pm
I second what anne6000 says - I used to straighten (I too am curly/wavy), and it takes years to recover from that damage. If you can stop straightening, that would be best. There are some good tips (sock curling, rag curls, damp buns) that can help to smooth and straighten your hair without heat. I've been heat free  for a few months, and the split ends don't go away. You have to cut them off.
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2006 at 12:04am
Originally posted by Starlit Starlit wrote:

Is there anything that treats split ends, or is made to specifically prevent them?

Unfortunately, when they split, they just keep splitting up the hair shaft, so it's really better to cut off the split ends before they have a chance to split up closer to the roots.

It sounds like you're really putting a lot of stress on your hair, both straightening and dyeing it.  You might try something a bit radical:  for six weeks, no chemicals or heat, and see how your ends appear.  They should be much better!

Starlit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starlit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2006 at 11:59pm
Alright, so I naturally have extremely curly hair. When it's curly, however, it's completely unmanageable. Therefore, I prefer to straighten it every day. This, as you can guess, takes a HUGE toll on my hair. I use Pureology shampoo and conditioner, and always use a leave in conditioner before straightening it. So, while the majority of my hair is normally perfectly fine and silky, my ends are fried. I have sooo many split ends. I trim them off once every six weeks (when I dye it), but I don't like doing that, because I'm trying to grow my hair another five or so inches (it's about a foot past my shoulders, currently).

Is there anything that treats split ends, or is made to specifically prevent them?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic