Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Book::Ultimate Black Hair Growth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
mzphatpeeshez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mzphatpeeshez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Book::Ultimate Black Hair Growth
    Posted: March 18 2007 at 5:41am
ok   i dont know what sexib is talking about
1st of all tagleys MTG is for HORSES..and the other user said the stuff made her hair hard as heck and she threw it out...need i say more? and what are u talking about nobody knew it was out there? the stuff is for ANIMALS...good luck TO you for doing adequate research before advising people on products (anybody with eyes could clearly see that tagleys is for animals) but STRAIGHT ARROW offers a line of maneNtail products for humans...although their original formulation was for animals LOL go figure to sexib for KNOWING so much about her topic

i can read and understand the molecular structure of hair and how some chemicals' molecular structure and their response to hair~i read cathys book and i read my friends hair stylist books...DUH i am educated enough to understand all of that      it doesnt take a rocket scientist to reiterate all the scientific stuff u recited out of some book, the point is...hair needs proper moisture and protein...enough said

while some haircare tips are basic to ALL hair types...some things change when dealing with ethnic or african american hair~ all hair types are not the same and generally do not respond to certain products the same way as each hair type has different needs...as i think you tried to mention

~ african american hair has different needs and requires particular care techniques that howse described in her book          if u do not have african american hair..how can you give advice to black women on their hair?

Enough said.
baldspot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baldspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2007 at 8:10pm
I got in this hair forum, and I felt like God sent me to let ALL OF YOU GUYS KNOW ABOUT THIS MERICLE PRODUCT!!!!! A while back, my sister brought this product called Horizons home. It was a Christmas present to all of the women in my family. ( 5 of us) She wrapped up a bottle of their vitamins, and this oil called emu oil. Reluctant as we usual are in our family to try new things we did anyway...and three months later were still on this amazing product and trying to get all sisters and brothers to give it a try and begin to see all the amazing results we all did. We are African's and have that strong, course hair, but somehow it would never seem to grow and sometimes would get brittle and break off. The vitamins work from the INSIDE OUT to giving the body with all the vitamins and minerals the body needs to start on the road of healthy strong wild growing hair!!!!..and the oil?!?!..Oh My Goodness, its God sent!!! You put it on your hair, as often as you like, and within weeks, you see the new growth sprouting out of your head!!!!..I had an inch of new growth in about 2 weeks...my older sister saw amazing changes and growth in a WEEK!!!..and my younger sister had to start wearing it natural because since sees been using it, her hair is growing out so fast she had to get it re braided twice because the new growth was soooo much...I thank God every night for this product..I've been on the website thousands of times, and each time, I almost get brought to tears. The information is so clear, and easy to understand, and sooo many people seem to have been helped soo much by it...people from all over, and every race!!!. I even read about some men that were losing their hair and though the only solution would be a hair transplant!!! they were using their most potent, product they carry..the Enzy Block...and in less than a month their hair has grown back completely!!! and to think they almost went and spend 5 thousand on hair transplant procedures!!!!...I'm tell you ladies!!!! and all of you guys can come back on here and thank me once you see how amazing this stuff is...It's all natural and not only helps with your hair, but your skin and nails...If there was a fire at my house right now, I could bet you one of the few things I would grab would include my emu oil and my Vitiams..haha...shhh don't tell anyone though..I just know the summer is coming around, and instead of getting some kind of weave done, or some other hair style to mask my hair that wasn't growing, and breaking and thining everywhere. I know by the summer I'll have another 5 or 6 inches of my real strong, health grown hair...Women everywhere how how priceless something like that is....don't we??..I'm so caught up in trying to let ya know...I almost forgot the site!!! WWW.HORIZONSHAIRCARE.COM !!!! EMAIL ME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS...AFTER WHAT THIS HAS DONE FOR ME. I WOULD BE A HORRIBLE PERSON IF I DIDN'T HELP OTHERS
love59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2007 at 10:37am
 I have now recieved the products and I am in loveEmbarrassed
 The conditioner is fantastic and has a really good tingling sensation on your head aswell as the smell of spearmint chewing gumSmile!
 The moisturizer is perfect for me although I have got fine type natural afro so im not sure its the best for every body.

When it comes to the Dew moisturizer im not to sure, I have a feeling I could have knocked up something like that myself as most of it seems like coconut oil and waterConfused but Im very happy about the other two purchases.
love59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2007 at 3:14pm

Ive just purchased Cathys products and they will be here on Thursday. I will let you know what they are like in a few daysSmile

Sam x
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2007 at 1:26pm
I've seen Cathy's hair in person and it actually looks pretty nice and full. Summer is coming soon and i just went out and purchased thin and pretty material for headwraps.  I love those!
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

BrownBetty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrownBetty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 7:12pm
Tongue
Super!  Thatz Great! Do what works for you. I have also had some success with Kera Care. Only one downfall, itz a bit pricey.  My neighbor and I go half n half so its not all that bad. I like to use it most during the summer months. It seems to prevent my head from itching because my head gets really hot in the summer and it sweats. Oh my God. I cannot stand summer....it is going to take everythin I have not cut it off my head this summer....but I will Survive.Clap
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 6:17pm
ClapClap that's great, but i also use the paul mtichell tea tree conditioner in addition to the CH conditioner, i use both.. also the giovannia triple treat tea tree oil invirgating shampoo its great also..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrownBetty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 2:58pm
Thumbs%20UpAlso per the book by Cathy that I strongly agree with
1. No Heavy Brushing
2. You do not need oil on your scalp (period)
     (thats what is making it break off!)
3. Leave you hair alone.  I see women combing their hair all the time. You are wearing your hair down. Let it rest.

PS as far as her tingly conditioner is concerned.  Paul Mitchell Shampoo w/Tea Tree is the bom....I live by it. I use it every other week and I get a big 16 or 32oz bottle on sale...online. I respect Cathy's Howse's products but until she is "on the shelf" competing with the rest of the tribe....I will just have to take "her" word for it.......not buying....no way! Not because I think it is a bad product, but it cannot be any better than what is out there and has been tried  by millions so that the consumer can make a "fair" decision about whether it is going to work for them. For example, when you grocery shop would you prefer to buy hunts, del monte tomato paste for example.....or would you buy the bargain buster great Cathys tomato past first batch..tested on lab rats that lived. I think I am going gto go with Hunts. Thanks

If you are wrapping your hair before you tie it down (with silk) before bed. That is the right way to go.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrownBetty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 2:29pm

I read the book too and though very informative, the information given, in my opinion was just common sense. It is a excellent book for beginners though, but if you are already experienced in caring for your hair and just need it to grow it is not going to be that interesting for you. I would recommend that you not purchase the book from the website. I bought the book on ebay for 7.00 my total purchase was 10.00 after shipping and it was brand new!. The products you don't need. If the products were all that good don't you think you would see it on shelves everywhere, like all of the other successful hair care products out here?  I will have to pass.

I have used Mane and Tale for years...and it works. Paul Mitchell is fantastic! Yes, on black hair!
I didn't have much success with Nexxus but you might.
 Just remember to keep your hair moisturized and  get lots of nutrition, and always, always, use a leave in conditioner. The information you read about water is so so true. I don't care for water but you get use to it after awhile. You will notice the diffrence. Try this test. Drink the minimum amout of water you are supposed to have daily for one week. Then the next week cut back to half the recommended amount. You will notice a drastic difference from the way your body reacts. You will slow down a lot. That means also that your growth is probally slowing down too.

I have naturally long hair. I have cut my hair so many times and it has always grown back. I am at midstage right now and growing my hair out for the last time as I am getting older and want to keep my hair long. I have a fear of becoming a bald headed old lady.(Yikes)

The best thing that you can do to take care of your  hair is  vitamins and supplements. Just think about it. How ofter do you go to have your nails, and toes done. They always look great! Treat your hair the same way...thatz it!Embarrassed 

I drink about two protein shakes a day, I take Omega 3, a hair supplement, a fruit supplement,  and drink a vegetable supplement everyday. I only eat real food. Try not to eat packaged food. Frozen Veggies okay but the other processed foods are loaded with preservatives that you don't need. (I cheat sometimes too!)

I exercise 4 days a week.
 I don't do hard exercises either, just pilates, the rowing machine, eliptical machine or treadmill. I have to because I sit down at work all day.The main thing is to keep you body moving. Sweating helps your release toxins from your body. In my opinion you have instructions on this website. Your money would be better spent in buying the supplements and tools you are going to be using. Wink
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 6:19pm
well i've been very successful in my hair growth, off the chain as a matter of fact.. just b/c you don't know about it doesn't mean it doesn't work b/c it does.. its just a lack of knowledge of the right things to do for your hair.. like moisturizing with a sealer oil.. if you don't have an understanding of why your hair breaks or sheds, and what's needed, not only for your hair but the hair follicles you'll never be able to retain length..that's why a good moisturizer and stimulation for the follicles and having the balance of moisture and protein is the only way your ever going to grow heathly hair..

moisturizers are products that are water-based and nourish your hair deep within the strand. water is the ultimate moisturizer so water based products are best for really getting the best moisture benefit. products with moisturizing properties tend to be your conditioners and other water-based products. moisturizers may also be protein-based, but these protein based moisturizers do not have the moisturizing benefit that moisture-based moisturizers have. good moisturizers will not contain ingredients like petrolatum, mineral oil, or lanolin. these are cheap product fillers. Be wary of products that claim moisturizing benefits and contain these ingredients. there is nothing moisturizing about them! Petrolatum and mineral oil are sealants and have the potential to suffocate the hair and scalp and seal out the moisture it needs.

our hair naturally contains moisture, but because our hair is also naturally porous, keeping the moisture inside is a difficult task. sources of outside moisture, or external moisture supplementation is necessary for black hair. water molecules and moisture from these supplemental moisturizing products easily passes into the hair shaft, but they pass out just as easily. the moisture you apply needs to hold in by something. Oil. 

a light coating of oil on top will help seal the moisture inside. Oils are made of large molecules. these molecules are too large to absorb by the hair strand. Applying oils to the hair and scalp will coat them and trap moisture that is inside on the inside and moisture that is outside on the outside. the key is to lock in the moisture within the strands with your oil. if you use oils without a moisturizer or before one, the oil will seal the moisture out of the hair strand and lead to eventual dryness.

oil alone will not and cannot moisturize within the hair shaft. An oil can only coat the outside of the strand, and give it shine- the illusion of moisture. the molecules that make oil are much too large to penetrate. oil molecules are “hydro-phobic” which means they repel and do not readily mix with water. Remember, if you apply an oil product to your hair before you have added a moisturizing product, you have created a seal on your hair strand that water and moisture cannot penetrate.

the cliché "one size does not fit all' is especially true when it comes to hair matters. we are all different! however, the basic principles you should be aware of regarding your hair tend to remain the same from head to head. developing an understanding of basic hair properties before you will be able to successfully address your hair needs as they arise. you need to know what your hair should be doing (and feeling) and to what degree it should be doing and feeling it.  so don't be so quick to judge, apparently your not familiar with why the conditioner by Cathy Howse is a good conditioner, b/c it opens the follicles as well as the hair shaft.. good luck to you as a newbie b/c i think you'll need it if your not open to learning what our hair really needs to grow.

Edited by sexibeach - February 25 2007 at 6:22pm
kellie7777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie7777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 11:52am
well i haven't used it recently. i needed moisture so i did use the moisturizing poo and conditioner. But it didn't do much moisturizing for me. i think it is more for oily heads, that need to put some moisture back in their hair. i also had the MTG because it was supposed to make the hair grow fast. but i used it for about 1 mth and it would just make my roots really hard. so i threw it out.
http://public.fotki.com/Kell1e/
Transitioning since Aug 06
Last Relaxer Apr 06

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mzphatpeeshez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 10:09am
i know this blog is old but..i HAD to ask..are you using horse hair cleansers by the tagley mtg?? what made you use it?

lol

i asked b/c i know howse suggested "Mane n' Tail" conditioner...but its a brand see the link below

http://www.amazon.com/Mane-Tail-Shampoo-oz/dp/B000G68YGU

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mzphatpeeshez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 10:06am
ok..i do not know what sexibeach is talking about but ummm...(giggle) i hope she isnt using horse shampoo lol

i dont know about using tagley's horse MTG..but um...i wouldnt try that

BUT..i DO know of a HUMAN hair shampoo/conditioner system that kathy howse mentioned in her book Ultimate Hair Growth "Mane n' Tail" which is for humans and has been around for YEARS! LOL they sell this stuff at walgreens and its super cheap..my friend and i used this in middle school to care for our (Black) hair..and we always had healthy, clean heads full of hair
check it out

http://www.amazon.com/Mane-Tail-Shampoo-oz/dp/B000G68YGU

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mzphatpeeshez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 9:52am

my first time blogging here but when i read the mention of that book Ultimate Black Hair Growth (or UBHG) i couldn't resist

the products sucked... i returned all of mine PRONTO! lol i remember packing all that stuff up..which wasnt bad for $30 but i found that pricey since...they were only 8 ounce bottles-if they were better quality i would not mind since im saving money anyways by doing home treatments--but i would not recommend the products to any1-- although she says in the book that the conditioner isn't designed to 'soften' the hair. im sorry kathy but for those prices...you need to step up your game and research a little better for a product that softens and offers protein + all those other good ingredients in your conditioner all in 1 bottle so I'll have 1 less step and avoid shelling out more $$$ on hair softeners

other than that..i enjoyed the book     i still have it and i agreed with most of the things she discussed...especially the sad games/lies that the salon industry boosts as good hair advice..and the conspiracy to get women to cut their hair/trim it to cut hair salon time so the stylist can fit in more customers-lol     i know for a fact my hair grew faster/better when i quit the visits and only returned for an occasional relaxer (when i cant get some1 to put a simple mild/regular strength box relaxer in my head at home)--since i no longer relax my hair year round...it doesnt make sense. my hair isnt all that coarse & it isnt feasible because i live in an extremely muggy/humid southern city-i only wear it straight for rare special occasions (flat iron) or during cold months -why waste all my money on a relaxer that won't last in the summer and will look more like a curly perm in 2 weeks and $60??? not i)

i truly question the salon stylists-who often give bad information or none whatsoever on hair maintenance care...they want you to keep coming to the salon and shelling out that money every week...sometimes twice a week if you have several events to attend   Howse was right about black women needing to take control over your own haircare and researching to make good hair care decisions
Urbanplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urbanplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2006 at 2:33am
I think the key is to Howse's products is that they don't coat the shaft like all the other junk. But the fact of the matter is you dont necessarily have to buy her stuff, her success is not exclusive, you can make it yourself. Just look up soapmaking.
I'm in!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie7777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2006 at 6:36pm
Okay thanks.
I got some lavender oil, so i will put some in it.
Lavender oil here cost $16.95. for like 2 ml.
I was shocked. Someone gave me a bottle for my bath. I didnt know it was that expensive. Sheesh
Last Relaxer Apr 06
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2006 at 6:25am
Originally posted by kellie7777 kellie7777 wrote:

Hey there, I got the book yesterday and finished it this morning.  It is not a long read at all. It captivates and it makes you want to read from beginning to end.
Well I found it enlightening. NO MORE BRUSHING! But it used to feel so good against the scalp .
But hey Howse recommends we simply massage the scalp, same benefits but in a better way for 'our' hair. I agree. My brush had more hair than i do.

Anyways i think the book is worth the read. She really spells it out. and i liked how she didn't fluff things up. She said it and I got it.

By the way sexibeach. MTG I was wondering how you applied that. I have some here, that I bought with my other MT stuff but the smell.

i mix it with the other oils i've referred too, and add a little lavander oil for a better scent, put it in a squirt bottle and apply to the scalp only..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie7777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2006 at 10:56pm
Hey there, I got the book yesterday and finished it this morning.  It is not a long read at all. It captivates and it makes you want to read from beginning to end.
Well I found it enlightening. NO MORE BRUSHING! But it used to feel so good against the scalp .
But hey Howse recommends we simply massage the scalp, same benefits but in a better way for 'our' hair. I agree. My brush had more hair than i do.

Anyways i think the book is worth the read. She really spells it out. and i liked how she didn't fluff things up. She said it and I got it.

By the way sexibeach. MTG I was wondering how you applied that. I have some here, that I bought with my other MT stuff but the smell.
Last Relaxer Apr 06
Vanity3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanity3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2006 at 10:33pm
I've read her book.  As a matter of fact, if you search the forum, I've posted some information about her newest book due out soon. 

You don't have to use her products to get results.  Ms. Howse definately got me on the right path to great hair care. 
Natural since March 2006

No "heat" challenge for Winter 08-09

public.fotki.com/Vanity3

keepitsimplesista.ning.com/profile/Vanity1920
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2006 at 5:29pm
no MTG is strickly for the scalp to promote hair growth it has sulfur in it, i think the braids right now would be perfect for that.. the Gueye Fast Growth Oil or WGO wild growth oil would be better for sealing the moisture.. Gueye's can also be used as a hot oil treatment.. these are not the things i use as part of my routine.. i use the ultra black hair care conditioner, and aphogee protein treatments, balance moisturer..and a peppermint scrub shampoo along with Folligen a copper therapy based shampoo..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic