Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

VITAMIN A

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VITAMIN A
    Posted: August 05 2006 at 3:12pm
Vitamin A does have some bad side effects if you take too much.  There's one study that says 9900 IU a day starts to weaken the bones, and if you get 34,000 a day (from carrots) your skin will start to turn orange.  It is stored in the liver, and we get a lot in our average diet (enough that you could go a year without taking any or getting any more in your food before you had a deficiency) so there's probably no need to get it in a vitamin, our food is full of plenty. 

Like you say though, you can't usually avoid it if you want to take a multi. When you get a multivitamin always choose one that has as little as possible, just to be sure.  I believe I have seen some that have only 1000 IU.  With the one I take now I get 1250 IU or 2500, depending on whether I take one every day or every other day.  (It says on the bottle it has 5000 IU, but that is for two pills, so you have to check the amount of pills).  This amount should be fine I would think, even if you eat some A too.

Edited by Susan W - August 05 2006 at 3:16pm
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
cjgjle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjgjle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 3:39pm
yeah I'm not too sure and I bet the vitamin A thing would have to be a lot. I just work in a hospital and was reading through what makes hair fall out. Pregnancy seemed to be the worse because the hair would quit qrowing for the 3 months after the pregnancy because of the dramatic stress giving birth has on the body.
Jo Jo
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 9:02am
I think she meant where cjgjle said that birth control hurts hair growth, I was curious about that too, but never noticed any effect back when I was on that stuff.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Sunsailing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunsailing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 7:42am
babycheeks24 :

Birth control? That article is referring to birth defects.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2006 at 2:40pm
Hi Jo Jo,

Most forms of vitamin A in the diet (or in vitamin supplements) are precursors like beta carotene, and converted to vitamin A only if the body needs it (discarded otherwise).  The levels of vit A that lead to problems are extremely high.

Edited by DaveDecker - August 02 2006 at 2:40pm
babycheeks24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycheeks24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 8:41pm
where is the backup on the birth control ive never heard of  that one but would like to know?
Babycheeks
cjgjle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjgjle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 2:04am
I work in a hospital and read about how too much Vitamin A (the orange foods and dark leafy greens) will actually cause hair loss and stunt hair growth but all the hair vitamin supplements have about 500% vitamin A, does anyone know how this works? I'm also noticing that most diet pills hurt hair growth along with birth control but my hubby doesn't see me getting off that one anytime soon

VITAMIN A

Vitamin A toxicity can occur with long-term consumption of 20 mg of retinol or more per day. The symptoms of vitamin A overdosing include accumulation of water in the brain (hydrocephalus), vomiting, tiredness, constipation, bone pain, and severe headaches. The skin may acquire a rough and dry appearance, with hair loss and brittle nails. Vitamin A toxicity is a special issue during pregnancy. Expectant mothers who take 10 mg vitamin A or more on a daily basis may have an infant with birth defects. These birth defects include abnormalities of the face, nervous system, heart, and thymus gland. It is possible to take in toxic levels of vitamin A by eating large quantities of certain foods. For example, about 30 grams of beef liver, 500 grams of eggs, or 2,500 grams of mackerel would supply 10 mg of retinol. The livers of polar bears and other arctic animals may contain especially high levels of vitamin A

Edited by cjgjle - July 26 2006 at 2:07am
Jo Jo
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic