Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Sodium Hydroxide / Lye / Caustic Soda, In Products
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sodium Hydroxide / Lye / Caustic Soda, In Products

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sodium Hydroxide / Lye / Caustic Soda, In Products
    Posted: October 30 2006 at 7:21am
It is a wicked chemical if you use it in its strong form.  I'd assume that what they're putting in their product is a super tiny amount, and probably not so damaging, but you are right - when you can choose natural products without it, why not do so?

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Hellfrozeover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellfrozeover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2006 at 2:59am
Hmm it was in a dye remover I used during the summer. Suddenly my hair feels less healthy lol.
babycheeks24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycheeks24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2006 at 10:03pm
oh wow im so glad i stick to organic natural products, i wouldnt ever risk it.
Babycheeks
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2006 at 9:23pm
Sodium Hydroxide aka Lye aka Caustic Soda - Check your products

I posted this at my site but I'm sharing it with you all too because I feel it's important. :)

I was watching tv and saw a commercial for the new Pantene Time Renewal line so I went to their website and took their quiz.
It told me to use Breakage Defense because I was only concerned about splits. I then Googled to see if any stores listed the ingredients and found it on Walgreens.com

As usual it had dimethicone but I was amazed when I saw Sodium Hydroxide in the ingredients. Sodium Hydroxide aka Lye aka Caustic Soda is an ingredient used in some hair relaxers and is a very harsh thing to put on hair. And this was in a conditioner that is supposed to be strengthening my hair.

I don't know what the formula does or how it balances out but I won't be trying that. I should also check my other bottles.

Many of the members at the forums I visit are trying to avoid harsh sulfates. Well those are probably like water compared to sodium hydroxide. Just my opinion.

I'm not saying you have to throw out your products if it has S.H. in it. I'm just saying this might be one more ingredient to watch out for if it concerns you.

S. H. is one of the ingredients used in drain uncloggers because it eats hair. Bleach (Sodium hypochlorite) is the other ingredient in drain stuff. I've seen some with both in it.

~~~~~~

My guess at why this would be in the product is:

I would compare this to either sanding a floor before applying varnish or roughing up a nail before applying acrylics.

I think it's meant to chew a few extra holes in the hair so that the dimethicones and other stuff will bond to your hair better. And then after long term use your hair will supposedly be stronger and shiny. Again I'm only guessing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic