Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Keeping angles sides while growing the rest

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Katherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Keeping angles sides while growing the rest
    Posted: December 07 2006 at 10:47am
Thanks a lot, Susan.  I've seen references on this site to the hairtypes but never looked them up until your link - thanks!  I must be a 1c, because my hair is mostly straight but I do have defined waves at each temple and maybe the nape, too.  They usually make it easy to turn my angled sides under, though sometimes they act up and are unruly!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2006 at 7:08am
My hair is 1b on Fia's typing system, so its got some volume, but does not look wavy.  Fia's typing system with pictures

Glad we could help!

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Katherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2006 at 2:33pm
Thank you both very much!  Yes, the sides are shorter, though starting around my lips (not my chin), and with the bit of natural wave I have the shortest bits are kind of around my checks.

Susan, I'm glad to hear you did this with bsl (my ultimate goal) and that the side pieces still turned under and looked angled.  Do you have a bit of wave, too?  (your avatar looks like you might)

Thanks again!
Katherine
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2006 at 9:48am
Try parting your hair down the middle and pulling it around in front of you on each side of your face.  Tilt your head so that you're looking down as far as you can (like with your chin against your neck).  One side at a time, trim the ends of your hair straight across horizontally, making sure you get both sides the same length.  This will give you an angle.  Of course, this will only work up to a certain length because soon the shortest parts will be below your face.  I trim my almost-hip-lenth hair like this and the shortest parts are at my elbows.  Once you get good at it, and as your hair gets longer, you could try trimming at an angle to keep the front shorter without taking length off the back.  Just kinda experiment, trimming a teeny tiny bit off at a time so you don't mess it up real bad.
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2006 at 7:07am
I'm not sure when you say angled sides if you mean you have collarbone length hair that angles longer in the front, or if the sides are feathery and shorter than the back.  I think you mean the sides are shorter?  I used to have my hair like what I think you're describing, but when it was longer (like bsl), I just clipped a few pieces in the front vertically so it had a fringy face framing graduation which started at my chin and went down the length...if I'm making any sense.  I didn't have much of the front cut shorter, just a few pieces in a vertical line and it tended to turn under and look angled.  I'd say just don't cut too much of the sides of it so it doesn't start to look mullety as it grows, and it should work.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Katherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2006 at 10:27pm
Hi all,

I have a question that I hope somebody here can address.  First a little background.  My hairstylist of nearly 20 years has just retired.  For my last visit to her right before Thanksgiving, I asked her to cut my hair in whatever was her favorite style for me.  She cut it to shoulder length - actually she said it was "collarbone" length and therefore a little longer than shoulder length - which was about 4 inches off.  She also added light bangs and angled the sides from about the lips down.  I really like the light bangs and face framing angled sides.  It's a look I've had in the past, and it just seems best for my face.  But I'd like to grow out the length (from the ears back) several inches to be able to do more with it.

So here's my question:  Can I keep angling the sides while growing out the length, or will the "steps" between the sides and the back be too noticeable?  I'm thinking I CAN keep the angle, while maybe at a steeper angle so that it still matches up with the length in back, but I'm not sure how it will work, because in the past I've also grown out the sides when I've grown out the back until everything reaches the same length.  Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic