Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

more moisture = more waves?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: more moisture = more waves?
    Posted: January 08 2007 at 5:13pm

I used to use alot of products, also. Usually things like friz-eeze, or some sort of smoothing milk, to try to smooth out the curls. These products made my hair so dry, and horrible.I decided that natural was sooo much better. I love my hair now, and it has gotten so much healthier. I can't believe all the things I used to do to it to get rid of the curls/waves. My mom used to tell me that I had pretty wavy hair when I wanted to perm it. I never believed her, But the older I got, the more came in.

I really do think that more moisture has a lot to do with my waves/curls being more defined.

Alisa06
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2007 at 1:56pm
I used to not use conditioner at all because I had alot of hard water build-up on my hair.  And when I did condition, I didn't notice any difference at all so I felt I was wasting my money.  After I discovered how to deal with that problem and started generously conditioning regularly, my curls have improved amazingly!  Alot of times, I don't even use any gel.  Before, I wouldn't be caught dead without it!  (one of these days I'll get around to posting past pics of my poodle-looking hair on my site)
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
Katze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2007 at 9:29am
SMT is Snowy's Moisture Treatment - from someone over at the Long Hair Forum named Snowy. It's your favorite deep conditioner - I use Lavera Naturals RepairKur - plus PURE aloe and honey. I part conditioner to 1/3 part each honey and aloe. Many LHC people microwave it gently, but I don't have a microwave so I either warm my bowl over the stove or in some hot water.

Then put it on your head, cover with plastic bag or hair cap and/or towel (some people heat it too) and wait - I wait at least 1 hour. It has really helped my hair a LOT, as well as my itchy scalp, because (I believe) of honey's antibacterial properties.

this is not the *official* SMT - for that you have to look on the LHC, that's now gone - but it's how I do it and I love it!

hope that helps

Katze
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2007 at 8:53am
I have been interested in apple cider vinegar, but keep putting it off. Not meaning to, just forget.I have not heard of a SMT before. Could you clarify, please.Thanks.

ALIsa06
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
Katze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2007 at 8:43am
Alisa, you might be right about combing too...I very rarely comb or brush (just finger comb and smooth) and that might be part of the wavy factor.

I also get itchies, have had for many years, and Apple Cider Vinegar seems to be the best option in a very diluted rinse. I've also experimented with white vinegar, cayenne, and a bit of lavender to cool the itching.

Have you ever tried a SMT (from the long hair forum - deep conditioner, honey, aloe?) that's when I started noticing the biggest difference, and I use them as Co washes too.

2aFi 23 inches and getting longer and thicker, I hope!
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2007 at 8:33am
I can say that I have to agree with you. I thought it was from only using a wide toothed comb, but looking back, it started to get curlier before I got my comb. I have been oiling, and doing co only washes since the beginning of nov,( (I have to wash my scalp  about every three days because of a dry itchy scalp) and I am starting to get more spirals.Who knows, I have also been on and off the pill for skin problems. I know hormones play alot with your hair. What an interesting thought, though. Ermmhmmmm.

Alisa06

Edited by Alisa06 - January 08 2007 at 8:35am
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
Katze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2007 at 3:36am
I posted this somewhere else last night, but lost that forum (a main hair forum here? where there are lots of questions about processing and such?)

Anyway...

The longer I go without shampoo (since Nov 23...!) and the longer my hair gets, the more waves it seems to have. I have spirals pretty much every day now, without even doing anything.

Can this be because of moisture? Or that my hair is "coming into its own" and being healthier, or hormones?

I am really happy with my hair again - had a bad spot there over Xmas - and "washing" with water, very diluted ACV, or conditioner.

Anyone else experience this more moisture-more waves thing?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic