Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - I'm new and have lots of questions! (with pics)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I'm new and have lots of questions! (with pics)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Wendy Kim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wendy Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'm new and have lots of questions! (with pics)
    Posted: January 16 2007 at 10:57pm
Thanks for the advice!!! It will be hard to put down the straightening iron but I could pull my hair back as an alternative. I usually blow dry enough to be able to brush it back into a ponytail when I don't style it, (about 1/3 of the way) but I have an Ion dryer and use the low heat on it.
 Hairbraider- I'm gonna try the rinse and see if it'll work. Thanks for the link!

Edited by Wendy Kim - January 16 2007 at 10:57pm
Sunsailing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunsailing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2007 at 10:17pm

Welcome Wendy.

I use Ultra NourishHair by GNC. I've had great success with it. Compare ingredients and prices, then decide.

Good luck!

DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2007 at 8:47pm
(1) Welcome, Wendy Kim!
(2) Congrats on your engagement!
(3) You can reach your goal if you are willing to forgo frequent straightening.
(4) I am a happy customer of HairTopia.  IMO the best hair vitamin/herbal regimen I've ever tried.
(5) The defrizzer might be laden with ingredients that block moisture.  You might want to retire it.

hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2007 at 5:56pm

Wendy, alot of people don't like to take the time to do this, but it works really wonderfully.  It's an herbal tea rinse - click here to see it, scroll down to recipe #5 and 6.  I was able to stop using dandruff shampoo by doing this.  If you're willing to go to the trouble, it's worth it.

Congratulations on your engagement, by the way. Wink
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2007 at 3:00pm

HI, Wendy Kim,and welcome! This is the right place tobe to learn about hair!

I have not tried hairtopia, but I have tried and still use hair formula 37. My hair was almost to the top of my jeans, ( I would rest my hand on the jeans and fingure my hair), and a stylist who was supposed to trim it, cut 8 - 12 inches off. By the time she got done, the back was just above my bra stap, and the side were right at my shoulders. As soon as I stopped crieing, I looke up faster hair growth online. this was the beginning of Nov 06. I have been taking it since. After it was cut, my hair meaused 19 in on the side, and 27 in the back. I just measured last week and it is now 23 1/2 on the sides, and 30 in the back after a 2 in trim> I trimmed just the very back because she cut it in an extreme V shape.
Anyway, sorry for the long post, I love Hair formula 37 and swear by it. I tell everyone I know about it. 

Alisa06
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2007 at 1:31pm
Hi Wendy Kim

Hair grows about 6 inches a year, so I think that's a very doable goal.

If...

you put down the straightening iron Wink

Healthy hair isn't a terribly complicated thing - avoid ripping hair with styling tools or hair accessories, eat healthy, find a good washing routine, and stay away from heat tools (including blow dryers) 

Once in awhile is ok, but frequent heat tool use and long hair don't get along very well. Irons especially tend to cause damage on the ends - damage that has to be cut off - which will sabotage your hair journey big time.

You may also want to try diluting your shampoo before applying it to your scalp, which may help it be less irritating to your scalp. Maybe experiment with a couple varieties of other shampoos (diluted) over the course of a month and see which one(s) itches less.

Congratulations on your wedding plans and best of luck to both of you.

Anais
my LJ, 40 inches long
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2007 at 11:14pm
You might try using Head&Shoulders as infrequently as you can get away with.  It's a pretty harsh shampoo.  Also, only use it on your scalp. 
Use as little heat styling as possible, preferably none. 
Deep condition at least once a month. 
Above all, don't cut it!  Since you said your hair damages easily (mine too!), a microtrim about every 3 months might be acceptable. Wink
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
Wendy Kim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wendy Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2007 at 11:03pm
   Here's my dilemma. I have been attempting to grow my hair for the past year and a half. It has grown a few inches and is now sitting on my shoulders (if I straighten it). Most of the year has been used getting rid of the damage. One problem is that my hair damages easily on the ends. I have very thick hair or some say 'a lot of hair' so it puffs alot and I have to straighten it to make it look nice.
   I just got engaged this past Christmas Eve and the wedding is set for January 5, 2008. I want to be able to have long hair for the wedding (and of course for life). At least 3 or 4 inches past my shoulders. Do you think that is a reasonable goal for 1 year?
   I was also curious if anyone here has tried the Hair Topia advertised on this site, if it really makes a difference in making hair healthy , I would consider trying it. Now I know that hair really can't be grown out fast but I was hoping for a good turn out in one year.
   My hair routine consists of washing it with head and shoulders(this has helped out alot with my scalp health since I use to have bad dandruff) Conditioner on the ends. Then a leave in defrizzer by Dove on the ends. If there are any other things I should be trying let me know, I am dedicated to having good hair health and length.

*****I tried using the H&S shampoo less frequently but ended up with an itchy scalp very quickly!
*** Here is my hair length in may of 2006, its hard to judge the length but it's about 1/2 an inch past my chin.

I took this one today. Jan 07

Edited by Wendy Kim - January 16 2007 at 1:00am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic