Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Comment last weekend about my hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sunsailing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunsailing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Comment last weekend about my hair
    Posted: January 30 2007 at 3:26pm

Thanks for the responses everyone. I knew that I should take the comment positively. I think Susan probably interpreted the situation correctly. I guess I just got hung up on the word "pretty".

I do enjoy compliments on my hair. A few months ago while at the salon, I had a woman come up to me after her appointment and compliment me on my hair while my stylist was still finishing. She told me that I had beautiful hair and asked how I kept the ends from drying, etc..  I don't know why I thought "beautiful" hair was okay at the time, but "pretty" hair in another situation wasn't....my mind works in mysterious ways...
vivek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vivek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2007 at 7:37am
i feel that it is only a complement . Being a guy i too had some complements from girls and i always enjoyed it. I think it is only positive. My hair is 32 inches long and even my wife enjoys it.
CalliaNatane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CalliaNatane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2007 at 6:54am
Wow, its so thick! I think any girl or guy growing their hair would be jealous.. I dream of having hair like that!!Big%20smile
Alayney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alayney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2007 at 7:04pm
I don't understand how that could be anything but a compliment. Is there doubt because of the fact that he's a man and the word was "pretty"? I guess if I was giving a man a compliment on his hair I would say ANY of these words:

pretty
gorgeous
awesome
beautiful
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2007 at 5:48pm
SS, you ask, "is it okay for a man to have 'pretty' hair?"

In the context of hair, I think "pretty" is synonymous with "beautiful."  In both cases, meaning healthy, shiny, well-cared-for.

I remember the first time a woman told me my long hair was "pretty."  We were on a date, and she was obviously (otherwise) enjoying being with me, so I totally appreciated the compliment.

AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2007 at 10:39am
Sunsailing, I can't think of many alternatives to saying "pretty hair" other than "nice" or "cool"... don't suppose she could have said "You have handsome hair"? Tongue It's true that your hair is fabulous! 

edited to add *poke* poke* 

Anais

Edited by AnaisSatin - January 18 2007 at 10:40am
my LJ, 40 inches long
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2007 at 7:57am
She didn't intend for you to hear her comment, so she was saying what she thought without worrying about how you might view it, then when she saw you heard, she had to repeat what she said before since she knew you heard it.  Purely a compliment, with a touch of envy! 

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 4:03pm
In the past I have heard women say things like," Why do men always get the good hair," refering to a long haired man. When I have heard comments like this, it is jeolousy that I see.

Alisa06
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
tdouty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdouty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 12:12pm
I agree.  I'm sure lots of women would love to have your head of hair!  They probably were very envious since they made a comment.

1c.m.ii
36" as of January 14, 2008
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 8:30am

I would say it was a compliment.She most likely did not know what else to say. Your hair is very strong and healthy looking, so to a woman this could mean pretty.

Alis06
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 7:15am
definetly a good thing btw your hair is looking fabulous
Kitty Kat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitty Kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 5:24am
I think Wendy Kim is right. I know there have been times when I've found myself very envious of a man's long hair. Just like my husband has the most beautiful eyelashes that naturally curl upwards! Not fair!!! Your hair is gorgeous, very shiny and healthy! Take it all as a compliment!
Wendy Kim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wendy Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2007 at 10:50pm
I think it would be a postive comment. It was just her way of expressing how jealous she was Wink. You do have very nice hair btw
Sunsailing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunsailing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2007 at 10:31pm

I was purchasing tickets for Disney on Ice last weekend with my son. When I turned to leave, I heard a comment that included "pretty hair" by the girl who helped us to the other girl working the box office. When I turned back around, the girl said to me, "I was just telling her how pretty your hair is. You have very pretty hair."

I didn't know how to respond. I just smiled and said thank you.

I decided to take the comment in a positive way. But is it okay for a man to have "pretty" hair? [I was surprised by any comment, since I was just wearing my hair in a ponytail.]

Edited by Sunsailing - January 16 2007 at 10:36pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic