Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - anyone CO washed for an extended period of time?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

anyone CO washed for an extended period of time?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: anyone CO washed for an extended period of time?
    Posted: March 09 2007 at 8:27am
No problem, Susan, glad I could help.Thumbs%20Up
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2007 at 6:50am
Thanks Alisa for mentioning the Vo5, I had overlooked that one. Smile
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 4:57pm
Thanks for your input, everybody!  Smile
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2007 at 1:56pm
I did. If I recall correctly, I CO'd for about a year and a half. The clarifying with vinegar helped, as did scritching with a chisel comb (Rachael Stephens) or gently with long fingernails. The trick is to get all that gunk off physically. I stopped CO in the fall of 2006 because I wanted to use up this really good Dove shampoo, and I ended up liking the results of using both the S and the C from the same line. 

CO still gives better "weight," and it also reduced wash time to about once a week. Now it's more like 5X every 2 weeks.

Anais
my LJ, 40 inches long
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2007 at 12:13pm
I have a problem not with buildup on my scalp, but my hair, and a dry scalp. I found vo5 conditoiners do not have any cones, so I use them for washes.  If I shampoo more than a couple times a week, my scalp gets really dry.
What I have found to work best for my hair, is to use a vo5 co on the ends, shampoo my scalp while the co is still on the ends, rinse both out.Then I co all of my hair, rinse and then use a deep co just on the ends.
  If I have time I will use jojoba oil as a pre-wash treatment. I have started using Giovanni which does not have any cones, so I have found that I need all the co's.   
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
tdouty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdouty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2007 at 9:48am
We haven't used shampoo on Jennifer's hair now for probably a year or more.  Her ends stay much better without shampoo.  She does have a problem with buildup on her scalp, but she says she's always had that problem.  We don't really see that clarifying does much to help with it either.  Each night, I brush her hair and then go through it and scritch off any buildup on her scalp.  If it gets too bad, we'll spend some extra time in the shower with an extra conditioning and I'll work harder on trying to scratch that stuff off her head.  I'm not sure we can blame it on CO like I said, but maybe more just calk it up to the way her scalp is.  Once she gets to where she doesn't care to grow it any longer, maybe we'll go back to shampoo since we'll then be able to do trims from time to time and the condition of the ends won't be so important.  For now, we just work at scratching the stuff off her head. 

1c.m.ii
36" as of January 14, 2008
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2007 at 7:36am
I didn't CO for a very long time, but buildup was one of the main reasons I quit.  If I used a cone conditioner to scalp wash, I felt like my hair was getting limp at the roots and I didn't like that stuff staying on my scalp all the time, so I needed to clarify, and using a harsh clarifying shampoo on my scalp defeated the purpose of what I was going for with CO - it dried out my scalp.  So, then it was CO with only no-cone conditioners or don't CO.  I chose to stop CO and stick with diluted shampoo.  (The no-cone conditioners are so much more expensive...at least I hadn't found a cheap one anyway, and I had to use so much to do my wash that I felt it was a waste when dilute shampoo worked fine).  So, that's how it went for me.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2007 at 12:03pm
There's a thread in general hair talk about CO-ing.  One person mentioned that she knew people who had gotten severe build-up on the scalp after an extended period of time.  Has anyone experienced this?  If you CO, do you ever clarify?  Just curious...
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic