Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

extensions - hottest thing for prom

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hellfrozeover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellfrozeover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: extensions - hottest thing for prom
    Posted: March 14 2007 at 9:53am

For human hair extensions(the clip in type) you'd be lookingat £25 to £75 for the whole head. For strand by strand done in a salon, some charge up to £400

hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2007 at 9:42am
Originally posted by Alayney Alayney wrote:

Oh, and I thought extensions were EXPENSIVE. How is it that some little highschooler is getting them just for a dance? Another thing that makes me scratch my head and wonder.
I know Sally's sells hair for extensions.  I don't remember how much it cost, but I remember thinking it wasn't too outrageous.  Of course, human hair was quite a bit more.  But I have no idea how much someone would charge to put them in.  These girls are probably from the higher income families, and I imagine their parents are paying for it.  I was amazed last year when I made dresses for the highschool choir girls.  Many of them didn't even know what size they wore because their moms bought all their clothes (designer labels, of course)!  They're way too spoiled.....
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
Alayney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alayney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2007 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by gypsydoll gypsydoll wrote:

the "higher and mighter" they act, the more insecure they are.  Confident people don't have to flaunt.

SO true!!!

That's one thing I have never understood -- when women grow their hair JUST for their wedding. Why do they want to be someone they are not? I mean, if you've got short or medium hair and plan on keeping that way, don't you want to be represented as you truly are? I have always been perplexed by that.

Oh, and I thought extensions were EXPENSIVE. How is it that some little highschooler is getting them just for a dance? Another thing that makes me scratch my head and wonder.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2007 at 11:00am
Embarrassed Thank you for the compliment.

Originally posted by lola32 lola32 wrote:

Do extensions mess up your hair ? Do they just fall out ? I know I'm asking  a lot of questions. Tongue
I really don't know that much about extensions.  I think it depends on the method used to attach them, and probably how careful you are when brushing and styling.  Longhairdreams would probably be able to answer that.  Or I'm sure you can read about it on the extension forum.

sarah
40 inches
lola32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lola32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2007 at 11:32pm
Thank you :) your hair is very pretty too. I think its rare to see someone with long curly beautiful  hair. No , the girls are just getting them to get them .I think they should just grow their hair out.  Do extensions mess up your hair ? Do they just fall out ? I know I'm asking  a lot of questions. Tongue

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2007 at 11:23pm
Lola, your hair is very pretty!  I'm sure it'll be amazing when it gets longer!  Are the girls at your school getting extensions for specific occasions, or just because they want to?

My sister kinda half-way in a passing thought considered extensions.  Not to extend, but to thicken.  Her hair is about to her waist, but she didn't care for it and it got really thin from breakage.  I don't think she wants to spend the money on it though. 
sarah
40 inches
lola32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lola32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2007 at 5:10pm

i know a lot of girls at my school start acting all concieted when they get hair extensions.  I hate it. I rather have my own natural hair than extensions. Its taking me forever to grow my hair but i know in the end it will be worth it .

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2007 at 11:10am
Originally posted by Longhairdreams Longhairdreams wrote:

Thats an interesting point Bob.I have noticed too that some women grow for special occasions such as weddings.I'm not positive but I think its so they can do updos for the occasion.But I could be wrong.

Yes, I've heard talk like that.  Like they want to be able to have a big elaborate up-do and can't with shorter hair.  Though there are some that I've heard say they wanted it long for their wedding (grew it or got extensions) to add beauty and elegance.  Why wouldn't they want that beauty and elegance on a daily basis?  I guess they don't want to mess with it.

I think you're all right about the issue of feeling threatened and being "outshone" as Bob put it.  And the beauty industry has just found one more way to capitalize on it.... by providing hair extentions.  (I mean no offense to you, longhairdreams! I'm not opposed to extensions, it just frustrates me that they find some way to make money on everything.)
sarah
40 inches
Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 7:54pm
Thats an interesting point Bob.I have noticed too that some women grow for special occasions such as weddings.I'm not positive but I think its so they can do updos for the occasion.But I could be wrong.
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 2:31pm
     This thread just goes to show you that despite what the beauty "experts" say, long hair is easily the most beautiful and majestic choice, at least for women. Those girls (and women) who have short, layered cuts and beseige others to follow their example simply don't enjoy being outshone. At least in most cases, I think.
     Why is it that many gals grow their hair long for big occasions, then chop it and insist that the short cut really flatters them more? Wondering, Bob Ermm
gypsydoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gypsydoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2007 at 8:42pm
the "higher and mighter" they act, the more insecure they are.  Confident people don't have to flaunt.
But that's almost impossible for a high schooler to understand.  I remember high school girls...and I hated it.
But I do remember meeting some of those girls after school, and found out they envied my hair and complimented me on how I've kept it up all this time.  Let her know that there will be gratification someday.Thumbs%20Up
Jen, (1a/f/ii)
Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2007 at 1:14pm
Sadly it doesnt get much better out of highschool.Women act pretty strange when they feel threatened.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2007 at 12:37pm
Interesting story, Sarah.  I think you've accurately ferreted out their motivations and the source of their attitudes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2007 at 10:40am
Yesterday, I was talking to my friend Elizabeth who is in highschool.  She told me that a whole bunch of girls are suddenly showing up at school with very long hair....... extensions.  They're all getting it done for the prom.  She said the girls are all high-and-mighty about it too.  Elizabeth has long hair, a little below her waist.  We were talking about why they'd be acting that way about it, like they're so proud of it and better than her.  I told her it's probably the "instant gratification" thing, the fact that they can instantly achieve whatever look they want without the care and patience of growing it out or trauma of cutting it all off.  I told her it's possible that they're also jealous of her because she has such great hair that's all hers.

Edited by hairbraider - March 10 2007 at 10:41am
sarah
40 inches
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic